Syncing vault with wife's Mac, how to change vault name or choose which is Primary

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: How to delete primary vault and create a new one.

Comments

• mad_hatter
    mad_hatter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    I've been trying to sync to my wife's imac (from my mac bookpro) via icloud but have been unsuccessful, so tried dropbox. That has worked but when I synced my primary vault, I also called it Primary vault on her imac, so now she has 2 primary vaults. I'm not sure how to get rid of the original? Am I correct when I say my Primary vault should sync to her primary vault? or is it better to keep all info you want to sync out of primary vault and in other vaults. Thanks I'd appreciate any help, cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mad_hatter,

Your question is different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

I've been trying to sync to my wife's imac (from my mac bookpro) via icloud but have been unsuccessful...

Unfortunately, iCloud does not let you share the data with a different iCloud / Apple ID account, which I'm guessing is the problem you encountered. To share a vault with someone else, you can use Dropbox sync & Dropbox folder sharing (it sounds like that's what you ended up doing).

...when I synced my primary vault, I also called it Primary vault on her imac, so now she has 2 primary vaults. I'm not sure how to get rid of the original?

Depending on how you and your wife want to use 1Password and share data with each other, you might not want to remove her (original) Primary vault. Do you each have data that you don't want to share with each other? Or do you want to both have & share all the same data on both Macs?

If your wife wants to keep some data in a vault that isn't shared with you, she'll probably want to keep her original Primary vault the way it is now, and rename the secondary vault (i.e. the one that you shared with her). To do that, you or she will need to unlock 1Password on her Mac, switch to the secondary/shared vault, and remove it by going to the menu for 1Password > Delete [vault name] Vault. Then find the sync file for your shared vault in the Dropbox folder and double-click on it. 1Password will prompt you to add it as a secondary vault, and you'll be able to choose a new name for it.

On the other hand, if you and your wife just want to have a single shared vault between the two of you, so you share all your data with each other, that's also easy to do. Start by removing the secondary/shared vault from 1Password on her Mac (as I described above). Then set her Primary vault to sync with the shared sync file in Dropbox. (Go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, select Dropbox as the sync option, and choose your shared sync file from the Dropbox folder.)

If you'd like me to elaborate on any of those steps, please let us know. :)

Am I correct when I say my Primary vault should sync to her primary vault? or is it better to keep all info you want to sync out of primary vault and in other vaults.

There's not necessarily a "correct" way to do it, it really depends on what works best for you and your wife. If the two of you want to keep it simple and just have one single vault that is shared between your Macs, it would make sense to sync your Primary vault with her Primary vault. But if your wife wants to have 2 vaults in 1Password on her Mac (i.e. one vault for herself and one that you shared with her), it's perfectly fine to have your Primary vault syncing to her secondary vault.

If you're not quite sure what the best setup would be for the two of you, just let us know a bit more about how you and your wife would like this all to work (i.e. if you want to share everything, or keep some data that you don't share with each other, etc) and we'll be happy to give you a more specific suggestion. Cheers! :)

• mad_hatter
    mad_hatter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, dropbox worked a treat. I initially set up 5 vaults, personal and business etc. After reading your post have set up another vault and moved the stuff from my primary vault in that it, so my primary vault and my wife's primary vault are not synced and have nothing in them, that's for stuff we don't want to share. Then there's a personal vault for each of us and 2 business/work vaults and it's all synced fine, and we can setup more vaults if needed Let me know if you see any problems and thanks for all your help.

• mad_hatter
    mad_hatter
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and I deleted the second primary vault that I set upon my wife's mac as, after the sync there's nothing on it.
    cheers

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mad_hatter,

So if I've understood you both now have an empty primary vault, a personal vault each that you can both access and then two work vaults which you may or may not both have access to as well.

The empty primary vault is a tad unusual but if that setup works for you then quite frankly nobody else's opinion matters. With the All Vaults view in 1Password 6 for Mac you can do this and not worry about anything. Normally we would have suggested a setup where there is a criss-cross, your personal vault is your primary and wife's primary vault is her personal, you would then add the other's primary as a secondary vault (hence the criss-cross reference) but your approach probably helps keep things clear so if you're happy that's all that matters.

This discussion has been closed.