Master Password Unknown

von
von
Community Member
Hi
I have had this software from the beginning and i can't remember or know if I ever set up a password...I sure am unable to enter as it asks for my password.
Am I able to remove it and start again in someway.
This is because i only use my iPod once a year lol

Comments

• bswins
    edited May 2011
    von,

Sorry to hear that you cannot remember your password, but this happens. It sounds to me like you are going to have to delete the 1Password app from your iPod and then reinstall it from the App Store. As long as you are using the same iTunes account that you used when you purchased 1Password for your iPod, you will not be charged again (see below for more information)

The following is a portion of a post from one of AB's staff members, Stu. The comments refer to an iPad, but the procedures are almost the same for an iPod Touch.

Please read through his comments to see if there is any opportunity for you to save some of your previous data:

If you cannot remember the master password, you will need to delete the 1Password app from your iPad and start over. This will also delete all of your 1Password data from your iPad, but there are several ways you might be able to recover that data, after you reinstall the 1Password app:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again in the reinstalled app, and your data will start syncing to your iPad automatically. Please see this guide for instructions:

http://help.agilebit...th_dropbox.html

* If you've previously sync'ed your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac using Wi-Fi syncing, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync:

http://help.agilebit...c_manually.html

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agilebit...Pad/backup.html

Please note that you don't have to repurchase 1Password in order to reinstall the app, providing you're still using the same iTunes account that you used to purchase the app originally, then you will be able to download the current version for free. Unfortunately, it won't look like it's free until you choose to "buy" it and enter your password. You don't have to take our word for it, though. Here is Apple's official support document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

If you only wish to start over with the 1P app, deleting/reinstalling the app is your answer.

However,
    if you are also using a desktop version of 1Password (Mac and/or Windows), and you remember the password for the desktop client, you can Restore a desktop Backup to your iPod Touch. That will save you from starting at the beginning.

If I misread your question, please reply with any clarifications. I do NOT want you to lose your data due to a miscommunication on my part.

Thanks.

Brandt

P.S. I want to add that you need a desktop version of 1P to setup Dropbox synching to your iOS device, but you need the desktop version ONLY for the setup process. You can download a 30-day Free Trial of the 1P desktop platform of your choice solely for setting up Dropbox synching. After setup is complete, you can delete the desktop version. AB has mentioned this option in a multitude of posts during the years, and it is obvious that the company wants users to have the benefits of using Dropbox synching. However, AB is willing to forgo a desktop license purchase to make sure their customers are happy. I wonder how many other software companies inform you of ways to obtain functionality at the expense of revenue?
  • von
    von
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you Brandt I have deleted the software and downloaded again (another learning curve) I do have dropbox so I will see if I can sync with it when I read how to

Thanks once again
    Von
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    von wrote:

Thank you Brandt I have deleted the software and downloaded again (another learning curve) I do have dropbox so I will see if I can sync with it when I read how to

Thanks once again
    Von

You're very welcome Von!

I just noticed that 3 of the links are broken in Stu's referenced post above. I'll fix them some time today. (Stu was kind enough to provide the proper link addresses for me today. Sorry about that...always confirm links before posting! :))

As for reading how to synch Dropbox with your iPod, please check out the following 1P help article: Automatic Synching Using Dropbox. (same link referenced by Stu in his post)

If you have any trouble working out the sync setup, please post your questions.

I hope everything works out for you.

Brandt
  • von
    von
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you once again Brandt I managed to find info when I saw that these links were not working.
    I think I may have the same problem in a years time as there are two passwords to remember lol
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    I'm glad Brandt was able to help you out. He sure is helpful. I might be out of a job if he keeps this up. :-)

To help you remember your passwords, consider doing what security expert Bruce Schneier recommends:

Simply, people can no longer remember passwords good enough to reliably defend against dictionary attacks, and are much more secure if they choose a password too complicated to remember and then write it down. We're all good at securing small pieces of paper. I recommend that people write their passwords down on a small piece of paper, and keep it with their other valuable small pieces of paper: in their wallet.

I also know some folks on the team who write down/print out the information from 1Password — you could include your master password and unlock code — and store it in a safe deposit box.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else we can assist with (though Brandt will probably beat me to it). :lol:

Cheers,
  • khad wrote:

Please let me know if there is anything else we can assist with (though Brandt will probably beat me to it). :lol:

If it weren't for living on the East Coast and having a 3 hour head start, I'm sure I would never get a word typed before you responded! :)
This discussion has been closed.