1Password 6 becomes totallly unusable with remote vaults if they're unavailable

anotheral
anotheral
Community Member

Set up a remote vault on a Samba share. Make the samba share unavailable. Watch as your life becomes a hellscape of pop-ups and notifications that the share is unavailable.

Comments

• anotheral
    anotheral
    Community Member

Also, the preferences GUI of the main application becomes unresponsive and starts displaying wrong information.

• anotheral
    anotheral
    Community Member

Clearly having the remote vault be in an unavailable file share was an idea is a new idea to your QA team.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@anotheral:

Clearly having the remote vault be in an unavailable file share was an idea is a new idea to your QA team.

You may change your mind about that if you actually take a look at this excerpt from the user guide:

Folder Sync

Included in the very clear warning at the beginning of that excerpt is the following:

Folder Sync should only be configured with a folder on a local or removable drive (e.g. external hard drive or USB flash drive). Configuring it with a network volume (e.g. Time Capsule or other NAS) may cause problems if the device goes offline.

(By the way, I'm not employed by AgileBits but am merely a volunteer on the forum who is happy to correct misapprehensions. :) )

Stephen

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem, which I never experienced on 1Password 5.

• Hi @msw70 and @anotheral,

Some changes that we made in 6.0 made this worse for users syncing with NAS. I plan on doing two changes that should make it better, if not as good as it was during 5.x. The changes we made revolve around sync during unlock. I made an incorrect assumption about how our sync process worked, and it can cause the app to beachball during unlock if the NAS drive isn't available. The two changes I want to do are:

1. Correct how the sync works during unlock so that even if the NAS drives are unavailable, we shouldn't beachball or hang.
    2. Not sync all of your vaults during unlock, but instead only sync those that are part of All Vaults. This will give you more control over when we trigger sync of the vault that could be on NAS.

That being said, performing folder sync via NAS is a bad idea in general with 1Password. I'll work towards making it as good as we can from our end, but it's unlikely to ever be as good as other sync options. I understand why someone would want to use NAS, but you should not sync directly to the NAS, but instead sync to a local folder, then use another sync solution (something rsync based perhaps?) to sync between the local folder and what's in NAS.

I'm sorry for the hassles you've been seeing with 6.0 so far.

Rick

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow up, Rick. Those changes would do the trick, I think!

Have a great day,
    Mark

• Hi @msw70,

In 6.0.2.BETA-3 I've implemented #1. I also improved syncing against NAS drives in general. It should no longer tell you that you've got issues syncing and offer to "Fix" them (by disconnecting from NAS). But to get this improved behavior you're going to need to disconnect sync from the NAS then reconnect it again. 6.0.2 should be released pretty soon (beta 3 was a release candidate build).

Cheers.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.