Syncing computer to iPad over non-secure wifi network?

weshaw
edited December 1969 in iOS
My wireless router's not here yet, but my iPad is and I'm dying to get 1Password pro synced on it.

My computer isn't liking setting up its own wifi network (seems prevalent with my model, according to the apple support pages), and I'm considering heading over to the local coffee shop and using their wifi to sync my 1pw data as a temp fix until I get my home network set up.

Wise? Foolish? How secure is the packet (I have a really good password on it)?

Thanks for any thoughts. Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere: I did some poking around but didn't find an answer.

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Hi, weshaw, and welcome to the forums. Honestly, syncing over the wifi at a coffee shop (or hotel or anywhere else like that) is not going to work for you in 999/1000 cases because the Bonjour ports that 1Password uses for syncing are typically blocked on those kinds of networks. The ad hoc method is the best option unless you have a friend that will let you jump on their network or otherwise can access a network that is less restricted. That being said, if you can get things going, it should be fine to sync there because the communication between your device and Mac is encrypted.
  • weshaw
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the insight, Jamie. I've tried the ad-hoc again, and the iPad is showing on my desktop 1PW sidebar, but it's telling me that the iPad's status is

"Not authorized (allow new connections in settings > wi-fi sync)"

I've done that on my iPad, and I have my two authorization codes to enter but nowhere to enter them on my computer. Ideas? Thanks.

PS Meant to say this in my first post, but I love this application -- been using it since version 1.
  • weshaw
    edited December 1969
    Hmm. . . further poking around reveals that my ad hoc wifi network isn't working quite right for anything: pastebot, for instance, sees the iPad but can't authorize it. Already tried turning off firewall, and all the steps in the network troubleshooting page on agile site. Curses!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    weshaw wrote:
    Hmm. . . further poking around reveals that my ad hoc wifi network isn't working quite right for anything: pastebot, for instance, sees the iPad but can't authorize it. Already tried turning off firewall, and all the steps in the network troubleshooting page on agile site. Curses!

This would be indicative that you have another layer of "firewall" in place on your Mac. Perhaps you have an ipfw-based set of rules in place from experimenting with some firewall products, or you are using Little Snitch, VirusBarrier or similar products to stop network packet flow.
This discussion has been closed.