Will you make it possible to synchronize second vault via wifi/bluetooth network?

Options

I want to be able to synchronize a second vault between a PC and iPhone via bluetooth but that is not possible today.

I am using 1Password on my home Mac and various IOS devices, synchronizing them using iCloud.

I had hoped that I could create a second vault for my job PC and use 1Password on it and synchronize that PC with the iPhone using a temporary bluetooth network but that is obviously not possible. I am not allowed to use Dropbox or iCloud drive on my job PC. So it's really great to be able to download and test the PC version to find out (thus I do not need to pay for it, because it's not useful for me today).

I tried to create a second vault at home on my mac but can not synchronize it with anything but Dropbox, not even iCloud is allowed???

So, what have you planned for synchronizing a second vault in upcoming versions of 1Password? Why not make it possible to select a specific hostname/IP-address on the iPhone to synchronize with (which should be the address of a pc or mac), so it is possible to synchronize mac <-> iPhone and pc <-> iPhone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:synchronizing second vault

Comments

• SEMats
    SEMats
    Community Member
    Options

Now, when I shall remove the second vault from my mac, I finds that the mac version of 1Password offers synchronization of the second vault via wifi? So it seems like you are working on it?

• Hi @SEMats,

Would you be able to connect a USB drive to your work's PC to copy your secondary vault there to use with 1Password?

Basically, it can be like this:

1. Mac, create a copy of your vault to use Folder Sync to your USB drive
    2. PC, copy this vault to your work's drive and when you're done with the changes, copy it back to your USB drive and connect it to Mac to let the 1Password app sync the changes.
    3. You can copy the changes from this duplicate vault to your primary vault in the Mac app and then sync it via Wi-Fi (or iCloud/Dropbox) to your iOS devices.

I want to be able to synchronize a second vault between a PC and iPhone via bluetooth but that is not possible today.

We do not use Bluetooth, Apple doesn't allow the ability to sync files via Bluetooth. 1Password is syncing via Wi-Fi and we do this by using Bonjour, a zero-config protocol that lets 1Password find other 1Password apps in the local network.

I tried to create a second vault at home on my mac but can not synchronize it with anything but Dropbox, not even iCloud is allowed???

Secondary vaults are individual sync files, we need to be able to access a file system to find the vault files and grab it. Right now, the best solution that can do this is Dropbox.

For iCloud, we store your data in a database structure that's assigned to the 1Password app and it is stored inside your iCloud account's data storage via Apple's CloudKit APIs. There are no files, we access and modify the data via the API calls. The way the database is designed, it doesn't let us store additional vaults. That's why you can't share files between different iCloud accounts, you can only keep files inside your own iCloud account.

We do want to find a way around this for this in the future but we don't have a timeframe on this.

We are working on our own sync service to simplify the sync experience by letting 1Password control the sync for you, instead of you managing the sync. We call this 1Password for Teams and we will release more details on this in the near future about the individual and families plans.

Now, when I shall remove the second vault from my mac, I finds that the mac version of 1Password offers synchronization of the second vault via wifi? So it seems like you are working on it?

On the Mac and iOS platforms, 1Password uses an internal database to keep all of your data, including separate vaults. Here, we are able to combine everything into one vault and sync via Wi-Fi to your iOS devices. 1Password on the iOS devices understand this structure and separate the data out into separate vaults.

On Windows, we do not yet support this internal database structure. We read and write to your vaults directly on disk without any intermediate format like the database on Mac/iOS.

Why not make it possible to select a specific hostname/IP-address on the iPhone to synchronize with (which should be the address of a pc or mac), so it is possible to synchronize mac <-> iPhone and pc <-> iPhone?

Bonjour already handles this part for us but that isn't the issue. The main issue is we don't support switching between computers, we keep a sync state database to monitor what changes occurred on both sides. When you change computers, we reset the database because we don't know what changes has occurred on the new computer.

This discussion has been closed.