Update to Finger Print scan not working?

mbadach
mbadach
Community Member

Hi all, I have just updated to the the latest version of the android app and no where can i get it to use my finger print scanner as per the release notes?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mbadach. Thanks for getting in touch with us. :)

Can you let me know the make and model of your device, as well as the version of Android it has? Fingerprint Unlock is supported on devices that support the fingerprint framework in Android Marshmallow. Currently, the only devices with this support are Google's Nexus 5X and 6P. Can you confirm that your device meets these criteria?

• mbadach
    mbadach
    Community Member

Hi thanks for the reply, the release notes on the app store did not say that ?

I have a Samsung note 5 - Android 5.1.1 - when will this be supported on my device?

Thanks

• Thanks for getting back to us, @mbadach.

I'm sorry for the confusion about Fingerprint Unlock needing Android 6, it is indeed hard to keep track of all the various versions :)

Ideally what would happen in Google Play itself would detect what capabilities your device has and highlight the features that you don't have access to. We have no control over that aspect of Google Play (all we can do is dream), but what we do have control over is the app description. Here's how we described Fingerprint Unlock within the Secure By Design section:

Allowing quick, secure access with Fingerprint Unlock on supported Marshmallow devices

I agree that it's easy to miss there, but we did what we could. In theory we could have also added more qualifiers to the What's New but we are quite constrained for space there.

As for when Fingerprint Unlock will be supported on your device, this is unfortunately completely out of our control. We rely on the Android operating system to provide us access to the fingerprint scanner. Google developed support for fingerprints in Marshmallow and would need to copy it back to earlier versions of Android. I have no idea if this is something they have planned or not. I hope they are planing on doing so as it will make things much easier for everyone.

Take care,

++dave;

• mbadach
    mbadach
    Community Member

Thanks for clearing that up... Lets hope Samsung wake up and upgrade the device.

• That too would indeed be lovely! :)

I suspect Google will feel the same way and avoid backporting features to earlier Android versions. After all, if Samsung doesn't want to upgrade to version 6, then it would be very unlikely they would want to upgrade to 5.2, either. I'm pretty sure it's all open source anyway, so if Samsung really wanted just this one feature, they could likely do so without Google.

Anyway, I guess there's a reason why every discussion I see about Android ends up talking about fragmentation :)

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.