Keyboard does not remember selected login

EarthAura
EarthAura
Community Member

Hi, and great work so far on the Android Beta, getting more and more enjoyable with every update!

I just today experienced a problem when trying to log into an application (EasyPark to be exact) where after selecting the login the keyboard would flash and disappear whilst transitioning back to the application.

I guess this is actually both a bug report and feature request:

1. I'd call it a bug that the focus and keyboard does not return into the state it was in
  2. Feature request would be that the keyboard retains the "fill username" and "fill password" buttons after selecting a login (for N-amount of time or until dismissed). I have actually run into this problem multiple times that I can no longer fill in the username/password after focus is lost and end up having to navigate to the 1p app, copy, return to the previous app and paste.

1Password Version: 6.1.BETA1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Hello @EarthAura,

Before I jump in I gotta say that I love your forum handle :)

I wanted to recreate your issue exactly so I installed EasyPark, but I had some troubles getting it setup correctly. I think it didn't like my Canadian phone number for some reason.

In any event, I agree with you that we should leave the focus on an appropriate field within the app. In Chrome we certainly do this already and we should be able to do this for other apps as well.

As for keeping the Fill Username and Fill Password buttons around, I think @mverde has some great plans for us here. He's still working out the details and much code still needs to be written, but he has some good ideas on how to make things better.

Cheers!

++dave;

• ttomr
    ttomr
    Community Member

Hey Dave,
    Hey @EarthAura,

I have encountered the same issue with another app. Using a nexus 5 with the latest Android (6.0.1 with security patch from Feb 1st)

Steps:
    I open the app (number26)
    switch to the 1pw keyboard
    open the vault (via keyboard)
    select the appropriate login

Expected result:
    Come back to the app with the "fill username" and "fill password" options

Actual result:
    As described above the keyboard flashes for a second and then disappears. I manually have to copy and paste the password.

This is only since the last beta update, before it worked perfectly fine with the 1password app.

Otherwise: I love the app - keep going! :)

Best,
    Tomr

• Hi @ttomr. Thanks for contacting us about this issue. :)

By chance is your device rooted and are you using a custom ROM? Also, do you have Xposed installed on the device?

Thanks!

• ttomr
    ttomr
    Community Member

Hey peri,

the device is neither rooted nor am I using a custom rom or have Xposed installed.

I am using the latest vanilla android that is all. The only thing that is not really stock is the nova launcher.

Does that help? I can do a screencapture if you like to show what happens.

Best,
    Timo

• Thanks for the update, @ttomr. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Android device:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• ttomr
    ttomr
    Community Member

Hey @peri , report sent! Good luck figuring the issue out :) Let me know if I can be of any more assistance. tomr

• Thanks! I'll look it up and get back to you. :)

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member

Hi @dteare, thanks for the compliment :blush: .

I appreciate you trying to replicate the problem, but I think the EasyPark is region tied to where they provide the service which makes it a bit more complicated. Maybe I could try to record a screencast if that would help?

It makes me really happy to hear you're working on improving the filling, keep up the good work :chuffed: !

• dteare
    edited February 2016

@EarthAura: I am pretty sure I understand what the issue is now, but I would love to see a screencast if you don't mind. There have been so many times where I think I understand what an issue is and then realize that there's a subtle difference when seeing it first hand on a customer's device.

It also has the hidden benefit of me being able to learn how others do screencasts. :) Do you do it over USB or is there an easier way?

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@dteare There are apps in the playstore you can I it with, without root ;) Just search for screencast and you will find apps like "AZ Screen Recorder - No Root" just to name one.

• Thanks! I just downloaded AZ so I have it handy next time I need it.

<3

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@dteare Iam happy to help :)

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member

@dteare sure, no problem. You can find the screencast here.

I was going to record this over ADB, but big thanks to @ntimo for the AZ tip :), worked great!

• Thanks for the screencast, @EarthAura. It looks like 1Password was unable to find an item that matches, but if that was the case, I would have expected the 1Password button to be disabled like in Chrome.

I'm going to wait for @mverde to jump in here as he has an unfair advantage here as he knows exactly how this works. Maybe someday I'll dust off my Java hat and dive in, but so far I've held back and let the kids have all the fun :)

• I'm glad @dteare grabbed my attention so that I can add my two cents. The screencast itself might look a little confusing, but that's because 1Password blocks screenshots and screencasts in order to protect your sensitive information. For this reason, you can see the keyboard but you can't see the interface that allows you to select your login. That being said, I know what should be there so I can piece together what is going on. Thanks for sharing that @EarthAura.

We made some architectural changes to our filling implementation with the 1Password Keyboard for our 6.0 release. This makes the solution much more scalable and allows us to more easily integrate new technologies such as Fingerprint Unlock. The issue that you are encountering is an unintended side-effect of those changes. Although we may not be able to control whether the keyboard loses focus, your suggestion of displaying the fill username and fill password buttons for a fixed amount of time would help in this case. I'm going to do some testing with this idea and see if I can come up with a workable solution. Thanks for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.