Erasing hard drive and 1password

Spaquette
Spaquette
Community Member

Must I do anything special to reinstall 1password after I erase my hard drive on My Mac OS 10.11.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS 10.11
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Must I do anything special to reinstall 1password after I erase my hard drive on My Mac OS 10.11.

Comments

• Spaquette
    Spaquette
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

email: [email address removed by AgileBits]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spaquette,

Thanks for contacting us with your question! I removed your email address from your message since these are public forums.

If you haven't already erased your hard drive, then please make sure you backup your Mac first. A full backup of your Mac should include your 1Password data and the automatic backups created by 1Password, but if you'd also like to make a separate copy of your 1Password backup files, you can do that too: Open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup, then click the Show Files button. That will open the folder containing your 1Password backups, and you can copy them somewhere else.

After erasing your hard drive, you'll need to reinstall the 1Password app. If you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store, simply launch the Mac App Store and download 1Password from the 'Purchased' section (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make that purchase). Or if you bought a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, you can grab a copy from our own download site and move the app file to the Applications folder (you'll need to add your license to activate it).

There are a few options for restoring your data to 1Password, depending on whether you have a backup file for 1Password, or had been using one of the sync options (like Dropbox or iCloud), or have your data on another device. We have more information in the user guide here: Using existing 1Password data on a new computer (If you're using 1Password 6 for Mac, the steps there might not have been updated yet, but should be similar to what you see.)

Does that help? If you get stuck, please let us know and we'll be happy to help you with that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.