iOS user who wants to give you $ for windows

Hello-

I am an iOS user Who is going to try to be professional but has a huge headache from trying to tackle using your products, once again. I use iCloud for back up and yes I have the up-to-date Windows products

I simply would like to get set up on my desktop or laptop windows Machines and if it was as easy as paying, downloading, signing in - I would have been a big fan and customer a year ago

Some of the guys have been very helpful on the chat room & probably the only reason I still use this thing.

After wasting a lot of my day reading the 20+ startup guides you have for people who use Windows machines, i'm still nowhere close to being done. How about creating a setup wizard by default the way you have one for sales This is crazy annoying!

1- seriously, I would pay triple to have someone make this user friendly. See above & The only three options are new to one password, I have used it before- open, and restore from the backup.

2-Not only will it not let me sign in upon downloading and/or wants file locations. I thought that was the whole point of the cloud!? I AM AN ICLOUD USER AND Nowhere does it let me separate the file on my computer – cloud & login with. NO WHERE DOES IT SAY I CANT USE ICLOUD ON THE SETUP OR ANY OF THESE GUIDES ILL BE HAPPY TO SCREEN SHOT.

3- I try to just download the chrome extension on windows and it says the helpers missing. Won't let me sign in or do anything

4- even in the event I get all of this up and running and go premium on my iPhone - Ipad. as I understand it I'm able to set up other vaults and then go in and create Loggins under those on my iOS devices, just not creat the new vault? haha, is that right? I'll never know why it was built this way, I would've even just paid an extra five dollars per vault

I'm seriously sitting here at my moms computer while she has a horrible disease and she's lost her hair and now getting furious over this garbage and me not being able to help w any healthcare, my knowledge base logins, etc-

I would've paid an extra hundred dollars to just an call eight 800 number

Somebody please fix this or help me figure out what to do ASAP and throwing iOS and windows coupon codes

Sorry to be so negative but I recommend this thing like it's a savior and it's been a blessing on iOS, It's ruined my day

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @smittyken12 - I'm so sorry you have had such frustration especially with your Mom not doing so well. I wish I could get in my car and come round and help you in person! The first thing to note is that you cannot use iCloud to sync your 1Password data on a Windows PC. This will only work on Apple devices. You need to use Dropbox instead. The second thing is that there are two versions available if you are on Windows 10. There is 1Password for Windows Modern which you can download from the Windows Store. This version doesn't yet offer the 1Password browser extensions. It is a free version however. We also have the full desktop version and you can download a 30 day free trial from our download site.

If your 1Password data is currently on your iOS device you need to first switch to Dropbox sync there -

Run 1Password on your iOS device, go to Settings > Sync - disable iCloud sync and enable Dropbox sync. This will create a 1Password vault in the following location -

/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault

1Password in your Windows PC will then find this vault in your Dropbox folder. If you want more help with this last part let us know which version you are using.

• smittyken12
    smittyken12
    Community Member

Thank you. I will say that once again, you folks are the only reason why I even entertain using this app. I don't even care that any of those distractions or hangups are extremely annoying – I just wish they wouldn't be upfront and tell you. What is the big deal about hiding all of the stuff. Literally in your window for searching the entire site: none of that came up… Does anybody beta-test the stuff

I really appreciate you telling me about the other options that are nowhere to be found on the main site either.

I have no idea why they think it's acceptable to not explain any of that anywhere in any of the guides. Why is iCloud even an option is another good question but why can't we just store our data with you on the cloud is the best question… Hell you could even charge a recurring fee - but the people at one password are so busy telling you you can make multiple vaults and only putting in the small FinePrint that you can do it on windows… That they completely forget about the bigger ROA and ROE components of running a business… There are only two of the most important metrics known to man

enough ranting about your company making Microsoft look like every employee is steve woz...haha

1- once I go through all that hoopla, same question. will I be able to use the vault exactly the same as my current one?

2- is there anything at all that I need to know before I start this at midnight

3- I have to be honest and say based on everything I've seen and the other posts around here and mine… What would you think if you were us choosing somebody to handle your passwords & they can't even get the stuff right or even remotely acceptable to get it functioning? I don't understand why third-party has to be involved (iCloud) rather than making a password like every other site or app in America that stores our stuff? But oh yeah, we set up all that for nothing and it takes up iCloud space… Yet nobody tells us anywhere

I'm seriously questioning why I am choosing you guys and I'm going to have to go back and read some reviews and blogs.

You personally are awesome and I'm glad they will never be able to get rid of you :-) but seriously, what kind of confidence and disclosure reputation does this company have, because I haven't seen it once. Go ahead and look at my posts please tell me what you would think

• MikeT
    edited February 2016

Hi @smittyken12,

I've addressed your feedback about our team and data in the cloud below the main questions as I want to address that first:

1- once I go through all that hoopla, same question. will I be able to use the vault exactly the same as my current one?

Yes, you're syncing the same vault files to other 1Password apps, they'd show you the same data and require you to type the same master password to unlock it.

There are a few gotchas: On Windows, you would need to unlock each vault separately each time. On iOS, you can unlock the primary vault to unlock all secondary vaults and you can switch between vaults without unlocking again.

2- is there anything at all that I need to know before I start this at midnight

It depends on what you decide to do in the long run. If you're syncing with Dropbox, you need to make sure the regular desktop version of Dropbox is installed on your computer, so that Dropbox downloads a copy of the 1Password file from your iOS device to your local drive.

3- I have to be honest and say based on everything I've seen and the other posts around here and mine… What would you think if you were us choosing somebody to handle your passwords & they can't even get the stuff right or even remotely acceptable to get it functioning? I don't understand why third-party has to be involved (iCloud) rather than making a password like every other site or app in America that stores our stuff? But oh yeah, we set up all that for nothing and it takes up iCloud space… Yet nobody tells us anywhere

We do understand the complexity we've added to supporting third party services. In the past, we only supported Dropbox and that made it simple for a lot of folks and for us. However, when iCloud was released, we found out that if we support this for Apple-only users which is still the majority of our users, it would've simplified everything for them as it is handled automatically by iOS and OS X. If we could go back in time, we would've added our own sync service that emphasizes cross-platform support.

We're a small private team, we have to prioritize on the important features and sometime, we don't foresee that some of our decisions would've resulted into a more complex setup for certain users.

We do agree with you, it is time that we start to take the sync complexity out of the picture, which is why for the past few years, we've been working hard on 1Password for Families, that lets us handle many things for you that you shouldn't have to think twice about.

However, it is going to take some time for our programs to be re-written to support 1Password for Families as everything is handled differently now that your data is stored in the cloud.

What is the big deal about hiding all of the stuff. Literally in your window for searching the entire site: none of that came up… Does anybody beta-test the stuff

We're not trying to hide it, it's just that the docs are unfortunately difficult to navigate through and our search isn't good enough. We're trying various methods over time to improve the search but I do agree, our sync stuff is needlessly complex. That's why we're attacking this issue from various angles; simplify the guides, make search smarter, add our own sync service to simplify and increase cross-platform support, which all takes a lot of time.

Right now, there is no stable version of 1Password for Windows that's ready to use our new Families service yet. We're working our butts off to get it out as soon as possible. There's a beta version of 1Password for Windows 10 in the Windows 10 Store that we hope to ship very soon.

Here's the guide that mentioned iCloud isn't a good option on Windows on our support page: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

and in the 1Password for Windows' user guide: https://support.1password.com/guides/windows/sync.html

Unfortunately, these are harder to find and understand, we do agree.

I have no idea why they think it's acceptable to not explain any of that anywhere in any of the guides.

It's not and we do apologize, we are trying to simplify the guides. We've already finished migrating all of the guides into our new support system but we need to make it more easier to find.

Why is iCloud even an option is another good question but why can't we just store our data with you on the cloud is the best question… Hell you could even charge a recurring fee

The biggest benefit in the first several years of using 1Password is that no one has a copy of your data, just you. We built 1Password with this in mind to be a local standalone version that stores a local encrypted file on your drive and does not leave the PC.

In addition, back then we were a small team that focuses on producing the program itself; mainly on its core feature, not the sync because back then, cloud services weren't really the big news.

For some people, they can choose to sync that file by storing it in the sync folder and use their own sync tool or use a cloud service like Dropbox, iCloud Drive, etc. We've added support for more over times but as the technology world continues to evolve very rapidly each year, we reached that level where we decided that it is time we have our own sync service, alas 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams.

However, as mentioned, we have to rebuild all of our stuff to use our own sync services. Everything is new for Families and Teams services, even how we handle your data, which is why we can't just throw in the support on top of our existing programs. We can't rush this as we have to be careful to protect your data at all times since we're now a target area for hosting your data.

• smittyken12
    smittyken12
    Community Member

Thanks. You guys have the best customer service response and keep cool when your customers do not. Haha- kudos & good answer

Before I say anything else I am going to use the windows beta program, which has been referred to buy a few different names but on the app store on my Windows laptop it's called 1Password beta

If all of your tips tricks and workarounds apply to that then we are good. I don't see any advantage and paying 50 bucks and upgrading many of our folks individual accounts on the iOS system at 10 or 20 bucks each just yet. Again who cares about $70, I would've gladly paid you 200 but if were talking about a lot of people and I can't even figure out how to use it how my supposed to tell Staff what to do. I trust you will square me away

for what it is worth, I would argue that by trying to do so much you guys have actually shot yourself in the foot when I think about it . The intent was there and when you started releasing all of these guides, Quickstart, jumpstart in 10 minutes, "Windows walk through", blah blah blah- the users literally get lost in all the stuff, haha- go ahead and click around

Then- that puts you folks in the position of having a million docs out there, old posts & then you have to go back through and edit all of them. Good intent, overly complex as you stated and MOST IMPORTANLTY, IS THE SETUP THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM ADAPTING QUICKLY AS THINGS CHANGE. They will

Haha, you should be appointed to host 1passwords corporate SWOT ANALYSIS, Porters 5 forces, etc- I'll be happy to attend & chime in, haha, but you'd probably have to let me pitch some kind of lending or 401k plan, haha

Anyway- everything you both said makes perfectly good sense. And is transparent. I don't know when iCloud was implemented but somebody thought of the idea of the sales tool wizard, which was beautiful and helpful

Why don't you just direct everybody to the guide that they need based on that? Eliminate all the crap or consolidated and have just a few complete guides? I'd say I could have it done by Sunday, provided that you were helping… Haha

OR at least specify very clearly that as I'm trying to set this thing up on my Windows machine, somewhere anywhere that iCloud is a bad idea, doesn't work and that you wish it did but apple refuses to play ball. they are worth three quarters of a trillion dollars and the only one who bully's Tim Cook is my boy Carl Ichan. & he does is it Regularly

Just simply put one sentence on the WINDOWS SETUP that says you cannot USE ICLOUD & expect anything to ever work on this. Even though you are iPhone user and we never really made it clear when you select the synk service, that iCloud was allowed strictly for your confusion. At a time when only a fraction of the world had a Mac, we decided to not have a pop up that makes that explicitly clear on the iOS devices or the website or the set up wizard on windows

(Haha OK leave that last part out I'm just having fun with you now) but basically say it's out of your hands and that it's dropbox that is the option. Switch from iCloud to dropbox

Do you realize that all of these man-hours could've simply been avoided if one pop up , One instruction manual, one sentence on the set up wizard or anything had mentioned any of this…

I'll try the tips you outlined on my laptop when I get home

• MikeT
    edited February 2016

Hi @smittyken12,

Before I say anything else I am going to use the windows beta program, which has been referred to buy a few different names but on the app store on my Windows laptop it's called 1Password beta

Unfortunately, that's going to be a source of additional confusion and we're still trying to determine the final name for the 1Password app that will be distributed through the Windows 10 Store.

This is a completely different program that's based on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) that runs on Windows 10 desktop and Windows 10 mobile devices.

There is the classic win32 desktop program called 1Password for Windows and there is the new upcoming UWP app that's for the moment is going to called 1Password for Windows 10.

In fact, some of our customers ran into this problem when they installed Dropbox from the Windows Store expecting this to work the same way as the desktop client, and it didn't. So, they had to download it from Dropbox's site to get it to work with 1Password.

We'll figure something out.

Why don't you just direct everybody to the guide that they need based on that? Eliminate all the crap or consolidated and have just a few complete guides? I'd say I could have it done by Sunday,

We actually have requested this and it is on our list, we just haven't gotten to it. A lot of our resources are on 1Password for Teams and Family right now.

Just simply put one sentence on the WINDOWS SETUP that says you cannot USE ICLOUD & expect anything to ever work on this. Even though you are iPhone user and we never really made it clear when you select the synk service, that iCloud was allowed strictly for your confusion. At a time when only a fraction of the world had a Mac, we decided to not have a pop up that makes that explicitly clear on the iOS devices or the website or the set up wizard on windows

We'll look into that. Right now, the current setup on Windows hasn't been changed because the program does not do any syncing of its own, so it incorrectly implies that customer will handle that for 1Password. We do plan to provide a wizard for this in the future as we continue to work on the next version of 1Password for Windows that is going to have Teams/Family support and we have to educate users here on the difference between local vaults and Family vaults.

Do you realize that all of these man-hours could've simply been avoided if one pop up , One instruction manual, one sentence on the set up wizard or anything had mentioned any of this…

Yes, a lot of things could've been done from the beginning to correct this but we've learned in the past that if we try to add too much information to the process, it can backfire on us. We're trying to balance the idea of a very simple setup vs. a wizard with too many options that takes forever to complete. Right now, we're far too simple and will fix this.

• smittyken12
    smittyken12
    Community Member

I appreciate all of your honesty. However I have no idea why anybody thought that not disclosing ANY OR all of that upfront was acceptable?

literally wasted hours of my life. Yet I'm supposed to trust you guys with my security

• Hi,

We do apologize about that and as I said before, it's not that we didn't want to disclose it, we simply didn't get to documenting it and updating it over time. We need a better documentation process and it is something we're trying to improve on all the time.

• smittyken12
    smittyken12
    Community Member

From first post to last Is this all completely done yet? If so can I have a copy of the decision tree that certainly down to one or two pages?

If not, I would like a senior level manager and myself to have a conference call regarding a position or potential relationship with your company. Please have them call me directly or get me their contact info

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smittyken12: Can you be more specific? A lot has changed since July, as we've released a stable 1Password 6 Windows desktop app in the intervening months. Do you mean is the new app "done"? Certainly not, as I'm not sure it will ever be, because even though we've made a lot of progress there's always more we want to do to make it better. However, Apple has not added CloudKit to Windows yet, and I do't expect that they will. But we're happy to be able to offer the 1Password.com subscription service in our apps across all of the platforms we support, so that makes things much simpler for 1Password users at least. :)

This discussion has been closed.