I have the same exact pw twice, created new vaults and still doesn't work. have yet to use 1pw s/w

Options
Mlkenerson
Mlkenerson
Community Member

I bought, i created master pw, didn't accept, created new vault and password, still not accepting the password. have yet to be able to set up 1pw paid $50. can't tell what version because can't get past lock

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:password not working, kb:master-password-not-accepted

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mlkenerson,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble setting up your master password! I'm sure we can help you out with that.

At what exact point are you getting stuck? When you first opened 1Password and chose 'Create a New Vault' to set it up as a new user, it should have asked you to enter a new master password. After doing that and clicking 'Continue', it should ask you to make sure it's memorized by typing that same master password again. Is that where it doesn't accept your master password? If so, are you sure you typed the exact same master password as on the first screen? If you're getting stuck trying to verify the master password, you can click the link to go back to the previous step where you can enter a new one.

Or, were you able to correctly type the master password a second time and create a new vault, but you weren't able to unlock it after that? Any details you can give us about what happened or what is happening now will be helpful for us, so we can make sure we understand what you're experiencing on your end.

Also, if you were able to create a new vault and use 1Password at all, did you enter any data in it? The reason I ask is because if you haven't added any data to 1Password yet, or if you can easily re-enter it, then one option (possibly the easiest) might be to reset 1Password and start over.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Mlkenerson
    Mlkenerson
    Community Member
    Options

I never got to data password input. So, how can I reset?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @Mlkenerson! To reset 1Password so you can start over with an empty vault, just follow the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

After following those steps, the next time you open 1Password, it should be like the first time, so you'll be able to create a new vault and choose a new master password. If you need any help choosing a good one, we have some tips here: How do I choose a good Master Password?

If you have any questions or run into any trouble with the starting over steps, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.