How do I move items out of the Shared vault?

jmvidal
jmvidal
Community Member

I moved some items there and now I want to move them back to my Personal but everything under Item->Share is grayed out. Item->Share looks fine in all my other vaults.

I just added a second user to my family account. Maybe that has something to do with this?

1Password Version: 6.02
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X Latest
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:shared vault

Comments

• jmvidal
    jmvidal
    Community Member

Well, my workaround is to copy them by hand, adding them to my other vault, and then delete them in Shared, empty Shared trash.

• Hi @jmvidal,

Sorry for the trouble. This is a known issue that we hope to have a fix for soon.

Ben

• Deano1406
    Deano1406
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm the owner of the account and vault and I've moved some items into the shared vault. I've now created a second shared vault just between me and my wife, but I can't move things out of the shared vault into the newly created vault. I can move things into and out of the new vault, but the share (box with arrow pointing out) options are greyed out on the shared vault.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Many Thanks,

Dean

1Password Version: 6.0.2 (MAS)
    Extension Version: 4.5.2
    OS Version: 10.11.4 (Really)
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: kb:diagnostics, kb-search:moving from shared vault

• Hi, @Deano1406, and welcome to our forum!

I've merged your thread with the one linked by @brew99 (thanks for the link, btw!). As Ben said, we're planning to fix this soon. In fact, we've just submitted a code fix for it today, so we just have to deploy the change and migrate existing family accounts like yours. :)

• Deano1406
    Deano1406
    Community Member

Thanks for the work around, as I'm in the process of setting up I'll hold on for a few days and test the fix!

Thanks for all the work on 1Password, much appreciated.

Dean

• You're welcome, @Deano1406. :) We're going to try to get it fixed tomorrow.

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

For anybody who is still waiting for the fix, I think I've found another workaround, as odd as it seems...

From reading a thread on 1Password for Teams, the issue clearly seems to be one of permissions, but of course with 1Password for Families, there's no granular permission control, so you can't add the necessary permissions to allow for the sharing of items. By default, it looks like users only get "Read, Write & Manage" to the global, default "Shared" vault.

However, it seems that once you have an additional owner assigned to your account, you can specifically add them to the shared vault, which gives them "Full Access" — any user with "Full Access" would naturally include the ability to share/copy/move items.

So, specifically, what I did was this:

1. Add a second family member and grant them owner access (this was actually done as part of the final Recovery Quest anyway)
    2. Select Vaults->Shared — you should see both yourself and the other family member there with "Read, Write & Manage" access.
    3. Click "Manage Access" — The new member should appear with no checkmark beside their name.
    4. Select the member to turn the checkmark green.
    5. Click Done.
    6. The member's access status should now show "Full Access"

That member should then be able to share/move/copy items from the "Shared" vault. If you want to grant this access back to yourself, however, you'll need to basically flip the process around, as you can't manage your own privileges directly in this manner, it has to be done by another "owner." So you'll need to log in as the new "owner" family member and then follow the same steps to grant access to your own primary account.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @jhollington!

It's a bit complex, but it could work! We should have the fix out soon :)

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member

Hi

Any update on when you'll have the fix deployed?

Thanks

JR

• bullfish
    bullfish
    Community Member

I too need this fix, any news?

• Hi, @jules_jules and @bullfish.

I'm sorry for the trouble. We did fix the issue for new accounts a couple days ago, and we thought we fixed the issue for existing accounts, but it looks like we missed an important piece.

We just took another go at it, and we think we've got it finished this time. Could you check for me? Make sure you give your client apps a chance to connect to the server so they can update to the correct permissions.

If it's still not working for you, could you describe the steps you're taking and then confirm a few things for me?

1. You have a family account, not a team account.
    2. When you sign in to the Admin Console, click Vaults, and go to the details of the Shared vault, everyone there has either "Full access" or "Read, Write & Export".
    3. You are using 1Password for Mac to try to move items out of the Shared vault, and that's where the problem is.

Please correct me on any of those points if needed. :) Thanks!

• bullfish
    bullfish
    Community Member

@rob

I still have same problem. It's grayed out.

1. Mine is a team account (waiting for you all to allow us to convert team to family).
    2. Shared vault has the correct permissions.
    3. I'm using 1Password for Mac.
  • Hi, @bullfish.

I checked the permissions on your account. If you go to the Shared vault, you should see something very similar to this:

There are no people there, but there are three groups. The Team Members group has Read & Write access, rather than Read, Write & Export. To allow items to be shared or copied out of the vault, you need to click the gear icon next to Team Members and turn on Export permission.

I hope that helps!

For others reading along, note that this is a team account. You won't see the same kind of things in a family account, but family accounts should be fixed automatically now.

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member

Hi @rob

Confirming on Families for me this is fixed so great, thank you!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend

Julien

• bullfish
    bullfish
    Community Member

@rob

Thanks Rob! That did fix the problem. I got a bit confused on the permissions as I gave myself and my wife Full Access but I didnt for the shared vault.

• Thanks for the confirmation, @jules_jules and @bullfish! :)

• Omar Shahine
    Omar Shahine
    Community Member

I have this problem but no ability to change permissions in my shared vault. I migrated from teams to family and cannot move items out of shared.

• Omar Shahine
    Omar Shahine
    Community Member

Per above I was able to fix by adding my wife as a member of the vault. Then I had to have her add me as a member. Now we are both members and can copy and move. Underlying is a bug though. You guys said it was fixed above but in my case it appears my shared family vault does not have export permissions.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Omar Shahine,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The way vault permissions work has changed a lot in the last few months between Teams and Families, and this is something we still need to iron out. I've created an issue for it in our internal issue tracker so it's on the developers' radar to hopefully be fixed soon. Cheers!
    ref: B5-1387

• Hi, @Omar Shahine. Just wanted to let you know I've confirmed the source of the issue you experienced. I'm hoping we'll be able to fix it soon. Thanks for the report! :)

• Omar Shahine
    Omar Shahine
    Community Member

Awesome thank you. Do I need to undo or do anything at this point?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Nah, you're all set, @Omar Shahine. Now the ball is in our court to fix the export permissions for converted accounts. Thanks again! :+1:

• petenicholson
    petenicholson
    Community Member

Is there any update to this problem? I have a family account and we still can't move items out of the shared family folder.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@petenicholson,

I believe this was resolved a while ago, but we may need to apply a manual fix for your specific account. I'm checking on that. Thanks for your patience!
    ref: B5-1387

• Hi, @petenicholson. I'm sorry for the trouble. I thought we had fixed this for all accounts a while back, but apparently we had not. We've just fixed the issue for your account, so you should now be able to move items in and out of your family's Shared vault.

Thanks for letting us know about the problem!

• petenicholson
    petenicholson
    Community Member

Hi Rob, thanks but I just tried to move these items and it still does not work.

• Hi, @petenicholson. Thanks for the update! I just double-checked and the permissions are now correct, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. Which app are you using to try to move the items? Could you try locking the app and relaunching it?

• petenicholson
    petenicholson
    Community Member

Hi Rob I have tried locking and relaunching the app on Mac, iPhone and iPad but none give me the option to move items from the shared folder. On Mac the options are all greyed out including mail, message, Airdrop and print and all other vaults, on iOS there is not option at all. On the web when I select the shared vault the section that shows people with access to that vault does not even show up like it does with other vaults.

• Hi, @petenicholson. Our bad again. :) We fixed the permissions on our side, but we missed the piece that tells the apps they should update themselves, so your apps haven't seen the change. We're hoping to fix that by the end of today. Sorry for the trouble!

This discussion has been closed.