generated passwords in Chrome aren't saved to 1password

Hugh
Hugh
Community Member
When signing up for a new website I use the auto-generate function of the Chrome plugin. The passwords are generated and filled in to the registration form, but those passwords aren't then saved to the 1password database. That means I have to go through a password reset process and manually enter the subsequent password into the 1password application.

This seems to be the case for some but perhaps not all websites. The most recent example of a site that didn't work was stitcher.com.

I'm using 1password 1.0.5 for Windows 7, Chrome 11.0.696.68.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Hi, Hugh.

That is annoying! I don't know why 1Password didn't save the new strong password in the Generated Passwords category. I'll mention it to the developers.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • d0cent
    d0cent
    Community Member
    I think it's the same problem as mine.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Hugh wrote:

When signing up for a new website I use the auto-generate function of the Chrome plugin. The passwords are generated and filled in to the registration form, but those passwords aren't then saved to the 1password database. That means I have to go through a password reset process and manually enter the subsequent password into the 1password application.

This seems to be the case for some but perhaps not all websites. The most recent example of a site that didn't work was stitcher.com.

I'm using 1password 1.0.5 for Windows 7, Chrome 11.0.696.68.

I cannot seem to reproduce this. Here's what I did:
    1. click on the 1Password button in Chrome
    2. click on the "Generator" tab
    3. click on the "Fill" button

Result: a new item is created in the "generated passwords" category.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011

I cannot seem to reproduce this...

Stefan, did you try the Stitcher login page (http://www.stitcher.com/sign_in.php)?

I had the same experience there as Hugh.
  • Hugh
    Hugh
    Community Member
    I've seen this issue on several sites that I've generated passwords for.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Hugh wrote:

I've seen this issue on several sites that I've generated passwords for.

If you can post more examples, they may help us identify a pattern.

Thanks, Hugh!
  • Hugh
    Hugh
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Another example: signing up for the Seesmic web app.

https://seesmic.com/web

No entry was made in the 1pass DB after generating password and hitting "fill".
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Hugh wrote:

Another example: signing up for the Seesmic web app.

https://seesmic.com/web

No entry was made in the 1pass DB after generating password and hitting "fill".

These are added to the 1Password Database as Generated Passwords. By default 1Password for Windows doesn't display those, but if you go to View in the menubar and check "Generated Passwords" you will see where these are stored.

Here' an example: 1Pwin-generated-passwords-20110530-165137.png

You can then copy the password from that item into a Login entry.

Cheers,

-j
  • Hugh
    Hugh
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Thanks, I'll try that. The client was indeed set to hide generated passwords, as you suggested. I'm suspicious because I vaguely remember that the generated passwords didn't show up in the Chrome plugin either, but that may be a false memory.

Might I humbly suggest that generated passwords be exposed to the user by default? I can't offhand think of a scenario where a user would not want to see those, and suspect I may not be alone in failing to intuit that they are being suppressed by a setting.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Hugh!

Hugh wrote:

Might I humbly suggest that generated passwords be exposed to the user by default?

You may even boldly suggest that!

Cheers,

-j
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Hugh, it looks like this has been fixed. Even the Stitcher site is working as expected now—that is, a password generated in the 1Password extension for Chrome at that URL is now correctly saved to the Generated Passwords category.

Please make sure you're using the latest beta build, and let us know if that's your experience, too.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.