initial setup of wife's devices

Options
gogogut
gogogut
Community Member

I have successfully been using 1Password on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone for several months (after leaving a competing password manager). I would now like for my wife to also use it on her Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Where do I start? How do I get the applications on her devices under my license? Then once she is up and running, how do I share my Family Vault I have already created in anticipation of sharing with her?
The current license I have should cover my wife so I have no interest in doing the new iPassword Families opt

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@gogogut as you refer to a licence I'm assuming for the purpose of this reply that you're using the AgileBits store version of 1Password. I'm also assuming you're using 1P5 or 1P6.

If that's the case, all your wife has to do is to download 1Password to her Mac from the AgileBits store. You can then send her your licence file by any appropriate means (email, USB stick, etc.) and she can apply the licence. That's all there is to it.

As you'll probably already know 1P for iOS is a free download from the App Store accessed from your iOS device—with an in-app purchase to enable pro features. Your wife should download 1P for iOS to her iOS devices. If you and she by any chance use the same Apple ID she too will be able to use the pro features if you have already made the in-app purchase. However, otherwise she will need to make the in-app purchase to enable those features because Apple does not allow in-app purchases to be shared under a family sharing arrangement (assuming you have one).

Once all that is done you'll want to look at this excerpt from the user guide:

Share a vault

Note that if you use wi-fi sync your primary vault will always sync with any secondary vault you choose—and iCloud sync does not allow sync of secondary vaults or sync between different Apple IDs—so it's almost certain you'll be wanting to look at Dropbox. These excerpts from the user guides will help you set that up:

Sync with Dropbox (Mac)

Sync with Dropbox (iOS)

I hope that helps but if anythng is unclear or you have any other questions please just post again.

Stephen

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick reply. I have downloaded 1Password to my wife's computer but am not sure if she should start a new vault as if she is a brand new customer, or if there is something special she should do instead.
    In other words, does she create her own 1Password account, use my license, and then receive our Family Vault from me to share it (maintaining her own Primary on her own account)?
    Thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gogogut,

I'm glad Stephen's reply was helpful for you!

I have downloaded 1Password to my wife's computer but am not sure if she should start a new vault as if she is a brand new customer, or if there is something special she should do instead.

Assuming your wife wants to have her own vault for her own private data that isn't shared with anyone else, then yes, she'll want to create a new vault during the setup of 1Password. That will be her Primary vault, and she can add her own (non-shared) data there.

It sounds like you've already created a secondary vault on your own Mac that you want to share with your wife (i.e. the "Family Vault" you mentioned). Your wife will want to set up 1Password with her own Primary vault first, and then once you share your "Family Vault" with her via Dropbox, she can double-click that shared vault/sync file that shows up in her Dropbox folder, and 1Password will ask if she wants to add that as a secondary vault.

In other words, does she create her own 1Password account, use my license, and then receive our Family Vault from me to share it (maintaining her own Primary on her own account)?

That's right! :) It sounds like you have a good understanding of all that, but please let us know if you have more questions about setting it all up. We're here to help if you need us!

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

Yay! So I have her up and running with her own primary vault on her mac. But now I am wondering about the order of operations. Should I next setup her Sync so she can access everything on her iPhone and iPad? Or should I connect her with my shared Family vault?

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

You can forget my previous questions. I have successfully gotten my wife set up with both her Primary and my shared Family vaults on her Mac using Dropbox. There were some moments of trepidation as I was not sure about some of the directions, but I think it all worked out in the end.
    Quick question: does it matter that my Family vault in dropbox is named Family.opvault instead of with agilekeychain as it states in the directions?
    Now I will try to set up her phone and iPad.
    Thanks!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gogogut,

No that is perfectly fine. OPVault is a different file format compared to an AgileKeychain, but 1Password is able to sync to either. As long as you have the most recent version of 1Password there should not be any issues in using them.

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

Great! I have one (hopefully) final question.
    When downloading and setting up 1Password on my wife's phone, is there anything special I need to do to get her Pro Features unlocked like on mine? Do I need to share my license like I did on the Mac? I actually don't remember when I unlocked Pro Features or if it was automatic when I bought 1Password for Mac. So I don't want to set her up and then regret not having done it correctly from the start.
    Thanks again!

• Hi @gogogut ,

If you purchased 1Password Pro a long time ago, got the Pro features automatically when you upgraded.

But unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow sharing of in-app purchases with Family Sharing, like they do for paid apps. She'll need to purchase the Pro features in iOS to sync multiple vaults, assuming she has a separate AppleID from yours.

Regards,
    Kevin

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

I actually am not sure when/how I unlocked Pro Features. I just know it is unlocked on my iPhone and iPad. I have only recently started using 1password as I was using a different service. I purchased the Mac version directly from the company, and that is why i wonder if there was a deal that unlocked the pro features then.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @gogogut,

So there was a pre-Teams and Families answer and then there is the answer post introduction of our new service.

Before we brought out Teams and Families 1Password was a standalone application. You could share a Mac App Store purchase of 1Password for Mac using Apple's Family Sharing and you could also share an AgileBits Store licence for 1Password for Mac when purchased from our store. We had hoped users would be able to share the in-app purchase for the Pro features in 1Password 5 for iOS but it wasn't to be. For this to change we'd need a change by Apple as it's all to do with sharing and Apple IDs. So pre Teams and Families the only option was a single in-app purchase of the Pro features per Apple ID but only one, any device tied to that Apple ID got the same features just like you experience on your iPhone and iPad.

Now post Teams and Families the landscape has changed. 1Password for Teams and 1Password Families is a subscription service. For example if you use 1Password Families it will eventually be $5 USD for 5 family members per month but that subscription covers not only the account on the servers but our software on all platforms with any additions possible e.g. the Pro features in 1Password for iOS.

If the idea of 1Password Families appeals that's one route but if it doesn't tickle your fancy and your wife would benefit from the Pro features then it would be a single in-app purchase and you can continue with how everything is already set up.

Does this help at all?

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

It has been a while, but I am returning to this topic. I have everything working flawlessly in my workflow on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone (using Pro Features). My wife has her own account on her similar devices, but without Pro Features on her iPad and iPhone she is unable to access a Shared Vault I created for us (she only can on her mac).
    So now I am trying to decide my next step. Does it make more sense to just have her get the Pro Features so we are perfectly in sync through our Shared Vault? Or do we make the switch to Families? What are the pros/cons? Would sticking with the Pro Feature route be the smart longterm investment since I have already paid for Mac and Pro Features? Or would I need to pay for the next 1Password update anyways?
    I hope you all can help me think through these options.
    Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gogogut: It's impossible to say anything regarding a hypothetical new version of 1Password, but I will say this: for me at least, the dead-simple setup, sync, and sharing of 1Password Families is the best thing that's happened since...well, since Dropbox. I've used Dropbox to sync and share vaults for years (and continue to do so), but being able to just grant someone access to a vault and have it show up on their devices simply by them logging in is awesome. The con is that this will cost you money. The pro is that it saves you time (and perhaps some frustration). And not having to figure out which licenses you need is a big plus too. :)

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply.
    So it sounds like I have a decision to make. Be cheap now and only pay $10, but run the risk of having to pay for upgrades for all products down the line (for both me and my wife). No way of knowing how long that would be of how much the upgrades would cost.
    Or I jump over to Families and start paying $5/month from now until eternity.
    I wish it was possible to receive credit for my prior investments in 1Password so that it didn't feel like I was throwing money away by making the switch.
    Any advice?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gogogut

The subscription option is definitely easier to budget for than license upgrades, in addition to the other benefits that it offers. If you've made purchases of 1Password products very recently then please drop us an email with the receipts attached to support@agilebits.com. Please also include this link in your email message: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/59090

Thanks!

Ben

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I have gone ahead and emailed support.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @gogogut.

Ben

ref: WXH-51758-855

This discussion has been closed.