So when does the PIN activate?

ashwinsewbaran
ashwinsewbaran
Community Member

I have used the 1Password android app for years now. I have also always had the PIN option enabled, but it never asked my PIN. Always my master password. The chances are that almost no one will ever see the PIN option, if the master password is required after each restart of 1Password.

I have 1Password set to never logout, nevertheless it still logs me out. This in itself is no problem if the PIN works.
Yet the PIN is never asked and I have to enter my complex password each and every time.

Wouldn't it be more intuitive to have the option to disable the master password if the PIN is enabled, or at least provide an option to do so?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:android-pin-code-prompt, ug:android/settings-security

Comments

• 1Password for Android currently only asks for your PIN Code if it is currently running in the background and has been previously unlocked with you Master Password. This is because it is your Master Password (and not your PIN Code) which is used to securely encrypt your 1Password data. This means that if you exit 1Password from the overflow menu, swipe 1Password from the recents (overview) screen, or the system terminates 1Password while it is in the background, you will be required to enter your Master Password rather than your PIN Code.

We recognize that this isn't particular convenient for those customers that don't want to keep 1Password running in the background or may be using a memory-constrained device. We've got some ideas for improvements in this area and we plan to start introducing them in a forthcoming update. Thank you for the feedback!

• ashwinsewbaran
    ashwinsewbaran
    Community Member

Thank you mverde for your response.

I really hope the improvements in the next version will make the use of 1Password more convenient.

Also it's worth mentioning that the PIN as it works now, will only activate when the app is deactivated (by using the phones home button for example) or after the automatic lock. Either option needs to be enabled from the settings menu.

Maybe if I may be so bold, I would suggest the PIN to be more complex (for example 8 numbers instead of 4) and the option to override the master password if you have set a PIN.

• Ideally we would like to have the PIN Code lock persist across app launches. This would mean that there is no difference in the unlock experience whether the app is starting or resuming from the background. There is a bit of work involved to make that happen, but this is definitely something that we are discussing on the development team.

This discussion has been closed.