Feedback on the beta app

Options
dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Finally I tried your mentioned Windows 10 Beta app. :-(

Onboarding to your Windows 10 app is bad. First I need to join your beta newsletter and have to give you an email address. Secondly in the mentioned newsletter you greet me that I joined your Windows Modern alpha newsletter and that in a few days I will get instructions on how to download the alpha software. Even that is not true because I have already launched the installed beta from the Window Store.

Featurewise your beta app is also not that great. No tag support. I can neither change tags or search for them. I also don't have support for file attachment. Using your 1Browser is also not a great option. Somehow it looks like early iOS stages but without all your great features. Before trying the Beta I thought your current 1Password 4 is lacking behind your Mac version. Compared to your "shiny new" Windows stores app the legacy Windows 1Password is truly feature rich.

I understand that Windows Store apps are sandboxed and therefore there is no browser extension possible. Do you think it will ever be possible to support that within that sandbox environment? Using only the integrated 1Browser is no option for me and I guess for many Windows users. I prefer to use my current browser (Firefox) and that means I have manually to create new logins and I also have to copy and paste each time if I want to do a login.

Currently I am truly worried about the current developments. For me as a customer the launch of your family plan seems a bit hasty. If you would ask me I would say there is no support for 1Password Family on Windows right now besides your web interface. And even that is a step back because I have to copy/paste everything.

At least for me it seems that you went live too fast and you will earn many disappointed users that need to use your apps on Windows 7 or Windows 10. After seeing the current development on Windows 10 I cannot believe that there will be soon feature parity with your Mac version or even with your legacy 1Password 4 for older Windows. Currently I am glad that I did not invite other family members to try it out. At least so I do not need to explain to them that 1Password Family is not functional yet.

Sorry for the harsh feedback. But at the moment I think it is a good description of 1Password support on the Windows platform.

1Password Version: 2016.2.1500
Extension Version: not available :-(
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dahanbn!

Thanks so much for your post. We greatly appreciate constructive feedback and the time you took to write it all up for us.

I'll make sure that one of our Windows 10 crew sees this post and follows up with you!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Mea culpa, @dahanbn! :blush:

I haven't figured out how to modify the "welcome to the alpha" message that goes out to folks who sign up without completely screwing up the list of those folks, and doing that would eliminate the benefit of having your addresses: to keep you up to date on new developments. (That's especially important with a brand new product being designed from the ground up!)

The advice to back up your data was written before I'd even heard of 1Password for Teams and applies to "legacy" vaults (those in the .agilekeychain and .opvault formats). One of many great things about 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families is that you don't need to worry about local backups—we've got your back! ;)

Again, I apologize for the confusion. The beta phase is nearly over, and much of that entire alpha/beta "on-boarding" structure will be dismantled.

Thank you SO MUCH for using 1Password! Please keep the feedback coming.

David

David Brown
    It's a new dawn; it's a new day; it's a new life…
    AgileBits

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

The reason for changing the subject of the post is that it lives among other posts, and one of the things we forum contributors do is make the names fit in with their siblings. We might shorten them, reword them slightly, or simply add a comment as a sort of "TL;DR" for folks just scanning subjects. No offense intended!

As for moving the post to the Windows 10 forum, that's a little more complicated, but it's because 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families are used most often through the platform-specific 1Password apps and programs.

This is the correct forum for this post because your observations about 1Password for Teams apply to the way it's experienced and used through the beta app. I ask you to remember that the beta app is still in beta development—it's not a released platform yet, but it does put the Teams/Families experience (with a few limitations) into the hands of folks using Windows 10 devices, and we think that's as important as getting folks' feedback to help us make the Windows 10 app even better.

The beta app is completely separate from 1Password 4 for Windows. We agree that the present, temporary situation can be confusing and occasionally frustrating, and we ask you to understand that we're working as hard as we can to get it all ironed out.

Thanks again for your help in that process, @dahanbn!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Overall I am not sure if it was the wisest move to focus on the Windows Store app version. Especially the sandbox thing will give you a lot of trouble. Even on the Mac many apps are leaving the App Store.

Put most simply, Windows 10 is the future. Given our resources, we need to focus on it, just as Microsoft is focusing on it. I hope that makes sense, and we apologize for the confusion of the current, temporary situation.

I think to support the family 1Password edition is a vital part of that app because it is your only Windows client in that respect. And on twitter and in your blog post you say I can use it on any platform and right now I cannot agree to that.

1Password for Families (and Teams) will be fully supported in the app being developed for Windows 10. Indeed, except for support for browser extensions, it's very nearly there already.

Folks still using earlier versions of Windows will have to wait for future releases of 1Password for Windows. (I'm sorry that I don't have any information about that product's development timeline.)

The beta phase is nearly over

What does that mean? Do you think the Windows 10 version of 1Password is nearly finished?

Well, I admit that "nearly" is a relative term. Relative to the entire development process, yes.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your Windows 10 Beta is not fully functional.

Please let us know what features you're missing. They might be still in development, or perhaps we've missed them too. Your feedback is the purpose of the alpha and beta programs.

Your legacy Windows app doesn't support it at all.

As acknowledged above. Accommodating Windows 10 in an existing app was unworkable, and it's being rewritten from the ground up. We're not happy about the delay, but we believe we're on track to deliver a robust solution that lives up to the 1Password reputation.

Your web app is mainly the only way to interact.

It is the best answer for folks using Windows 7 and 8.x at this time.

• @dahanbn thanks for the feedback, it is true that some features needs more love and some needs more effort. Rest assured that Windows is getting more attention than it have had before and every of your requests is on todo list.

Let me share link to my reply about how to copy items from legacy vaults to Teams or Families

Hope that helps :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

You're right, @Bernfrin; I worded that badly. :blush:

As I've said, Windows 10 is the future, and that future includes other device types than desktop computers. I'm no expert on the intricacies of Windows 10 programming, but our app needs to be "universal"; it needs to run on other devices, too, and that's what I was trying to say.

I should've added that accommodating 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families into the existing program was deemed unworkable, as well.

However badly I described it, the fact is that the app for Windows 10 includes nearly complete support for 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families, though it can't yet be integrated with external browsers, and the 1Password for Windows program is being rewritten from scratch to accommodate the future of Windows and 1Password.

You're right that it will take time to do both, but I feel strongly that we're very far from having "essentially eliminated support for [our] Windows customers." We love all our 1Password friends and family, we're happy that you're along for the ride, and we thank you for your patience and for making it possible for us to continue developing 1Password for the future.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

Until/Unless you support:
    1) BROWSER extensions
    2) Windows 7

I can NOT justify dumping LastPass and moving to 1P.

I have WAY too many passwords to do that.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The app for Windows 10 will eventually include browser integration at whatever level Microsoft allows us, as a Windows 10 app.

A future release of 1Password for Windows will allow access to vaults in your 1Password for Teams or 1Password for Families account.

Thanks for your interest in 1Password, @lrosenman! We'll certainly understand if you decide to wait.

This discussion has been closed.