Accessing other vaults with teams

Hi,
I was using OnePassword with the Primary vault, my wife was using another vault. When she wanted to log in she could click the lock icon and switch to another her vault. But after trying out Teams, I can login to the Primary vault, but she can't switch to her vault anymore. So basically she can't access her passwords. I'm guessing this has something to do with permissions as the teams site was for my work. How do I fix this? I'm wondering if I need to add her to the team site too?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:teams

Comments

• Jacob
    edited January 2016

Hi @Mavrick3321,

I'm not sure if the issue is related to the Teams permissions, necessarily. Are you and your wife using 1Password on just one computer or do you have separate systems? You mentioned locking the vault and switching to another one, which sounds like it may have been a single setup of 1Password on one computer. Let us know what the case is so I can help out. :)

• Mavrick3321
    Mavrick3321
    Community Member

We are using 1Password on the same computer, same login - that's probably part of the problem. It just doesn't make sense for us to each have an account on the mac. What I might do is just remove the teams from my home computer and just access it via the web.
    Thanks for the comments, let me know if you have any other ideas.

• Mavrick3321
    Mavrick3321
    Community Member

Well, oops - so I tried removing the team site but the functionally of right clicking on the key icon to switch vaults before entering the master password didn't come back. Should I remove 1Password and reinstall?

• Hi, @Mavrick3321.

Thanks for the updates. The problem you're having is unrelated to 1Password for Teams, as you've noticed. With 1Password 6 for Mac, our developers have made some upgrades to the underlying architecture of vaults. A side effect of these upgrades is that secondary vaults can no longer be unlocked directly.

Ideally, different 1Password users would have different OS X accounts, rather than sharing the same account. We didn't design 1Password for the use case you described, though it is not an uncommon one.

Several users have gotten in touch with us about how much they miss this feature. It's not as easy as flipping a switch to enable this functionality in the latest version of 1Password, but because of all this interest, we're looking into a solution for a future version.

For now, I would suggest separate user accounts for you and your wife so that you can each have your own 1Password setup. If that isn't an option, you'll need to either share the Primary vault Master Password or downgrade to 1Password 5. Please let me know what your thoughts, what you decide, and if I can help with anything else. :)

• Mavrick3321
    Mavrick3321
    Community Member

Thanks for that information, I searched the support and found out how to downgrade to 1Password 5 for now. As you know getting some users to even use a password program is a big step - so I'd rather not complicate things by also making her log in to a whole separate account. I'll hang out with version 5 with my fingers crossed to see that feature added back - thanks for all the help!
    If anyone else sees this here is the link I used to downgrade to version5: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/272486/#Comment_272486

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the confusion. It's important to us to keep 1Password simple, and it's meant to be one long, strong, unique Master Password to unlock the app. We're exploring other options for the case you describe, but we also don't want to encourage people to be less safe by giving others access to their user accounts to use 1Password. Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

• Mavrick3321
    Mavrick3321
    Community Member

Thanks, like it or not many families share one user name on the computer. So being able for us all to log in to our own vaults separately while under the same user is the best for us. As you know, it was a struggle just to get my family to adopt the concept of a password program and not use the same password over and over. Anything helps!!

• @Mavrick3321 I remember sharing a user account with my parents a long time ago. Not as many controls for them (I basically had admin privileges) but it was nice and simple. We're hoping to find a nice balance in 1Password for Teams that will help families as well. We do appreciate your feedback on the topic. And thanks so much for using 1Password. :)

• Mavrick3321
    Mavrick3321
    Community Member

Hi,
    So I signed up for the Family Plan, to try it out. But I'm wondering if I will still have the same issue. i.e. we have one log-in on our mac for my me and my wife. With 1Password 5 I can click the lock key icon in the browser and switch vaults (see thread above). So if I'm using the family plan does that help me work around this problem? So far I don't think it does....?

Thanks again for the support.

• @Mavrick3321 I'm afraid Families does not help with that particularly. Sorry if there was some confusion that led you to think so. That's probably my fault. :( The one way I can think of using Families the way you're asking is in the browser. You can sign in to your Families account and she, as a different member on the account, can sign in as well. You'll have separate vaults, but you can use the same computer to access them. I'd recommend bundling this with Google Chrome's multiple profiles since you can both keep your Account Key stored in the profile nicely, then just enter your Master Password to sign in. Let us know if that's something you're interested in.

If that doesn't work for your situation, we are looking into improving the experience of 1Password for Mac with a single user account and multiple vaults/users on that account. One of the ideas is to use profiles, much like Google Chrome does. Your wife could switch to her profile and use her password to access her vault. That may happen sometime in the future, because it's just an idea we have at the moment. And as Brenty previously mentioned, we're focused on one password. The current best workaround to get this feature back is OS X fast user switching. I know that's a bit more inconvenient, though. Hopefully we have a better solution in the future.

• Mavrick3321
    Mavrick3321
    Community Member

Hi,
    Just wondering if there have been any updates to enable individual unlocking of secondary vaults? I eventually will have to upgrade, but I was hoping you all were still considering a way to add this functionality?

Thanks!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@Mavrick3321 thanks for following up! We don't have anything to share at this point, but it's something we've discussed and many of us here at AgileBits find interesting. (It would certainly make it easier when my wife has to use my laptop for something!) I hope we'll have more to share soon :)

• Mavrick3321
    Mavrick3321
    Community Member

Great, glad to hear it still might function. I'm lucky I got my wife to use 1Password, having her log in as a separate user is not worth the marital frustration :)
    For a lot of my family, I don't think they even know how to log in as a different person.

Anyway, thanks for the update.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

It was my pleasure. I only wish I had more to share! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.