1password sluggish performance on my windows 10 pc

Options

Hello.
1Password works really slow on my windows pc (asus t100chi).
And I mean BAD.
login takes forever, clicking on the chrome extension takes a couple of seconds to even show the menu... This is not the app I love from my mac and iphone.
whats up with that?
thanks,
ori

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:preformance issues

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

This is a consistent issue for me as well on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10...not enough to go elsewhere but definitely enough that I'm very much looking forward to the next version that they're working on :-) Using the app is slow, searching is slow, unlocking is very slow, and the Chrome extension is several-seconds-slow for each click. I know they're working on hard on it, but they're also adding Teams support. The bits I've gathered is that it will be a big update.

I personally hope (but do not have confirmation) that they switch to the internal-SQLite-database format they use on Mac and iOS within the app and just use the OPVault files for Dropbox syncing (Windows uses these text files directly now, which I suspect is a chunk of the speed issue but have no evidence other than comparing platforms, where the codebase differs in many ways). Sadly that doesn't help now, but 1Password is very much a Mac-first app (which is also likely where a majority of the money AgileBits makes comes from) so they are playing catchup on Windows (and until recently, on iOS, and on Android it's mixed--they just added Teams support with a new version but don't have full OPVault format support yet). I'm just glad the software works decently on Windows, but definitely looking forward to a full update!

The code and development teams are so different between the platforms I understand all the problems and why there's not parity everywhere, but as a mostly-Windows user (with a Mac and iPhone), I feel your pain!

• MikeT
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi guys,

@orisagi, are you using the OPVault format for your 1Password data? If yes, that is the reason for the performance issue. If you go to the Help Menu > Advanced > Tune 1Password for max performance, it can help speed it up a bit by disabling certain features to reduce the I/O calls.

One thing that will help a lot is select the category with the least amount of data on the sidebar before you lock the main program. That way, when you unlock the program, it will not decrypt all of your Logins at once, which is the cause of performance issue.

We do plan to overhaul 1Password in the way that @dszp mentioned with the SQLite database structure but we do not have a timeframe on when this will be released.

One thing to keep in mind that our Family/Team services depends on the SQLite database structure, so the fact that we're working on a major update to 1Password for Windows to bring support for our Family/Team services should give you a clue that it is coming together. :smile:

By the way, if you're not using the browser extensions on Windows 10, check out 1Password for Windows 10 Beta in the Windows 10 Store, it should be faster at reading the OPVault folder as well.

This discussion has been closed.