What is the difference between Password and Login record types?

Options

Is there a document anywhere that defines and provides examples of when to use the the different record types supported by 1Password for Teams? The main one at the moment is the difference between Password and Login record types.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rob
    Options

Hi, @ronharris. No, that document does not exist, and the fact that it's confusing indicates we need to improve some things. :)

Really, though, this is something we've talked about for a while, and we just haven't reached a consensus. Logins are things that you fill into forms on web sites, though you can store other kinds of logins there as well.

I view Password items as mostly disposable. Whenever you generate a password for a web site, 1Password immediately saves a new Password item for you in case something happens and a Login (with your username or email address) isn't saved for some reason. You can also convert Password items to Logins.

In general, they're a safety net for the password generator to make sure you don't lose a password that you generate with 1Password. For the most part, you should be creating Login items and only worrying about Passwords if you generate a new password and can't find it in your Logins.

I hope that helps!

• ronharris
    ronharris
    Community Member
    Options

Can you convert from one record type to another?

• @ronharris It is possible to convert a Password to a Login. In the Mac app there is a "Convert to Login" button.

Ideally, I would love to merge these two categories together and use "Password" for everything because this is what most people use.

This discussion has been closed.