Crash on using Folder sync option to open Dropbox-synced .agilekeychain folder

dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Today I tried to add my current vault to be opened by the beta version. I added my in Dropbox located vault as an local folder and not explicitly as an external Dropbox connection. After adding it the beta asked me for the vault password. After entering the app immediately crashed and was closed.

Everytime as I try to restart the app it asked me for my family vault password. After that I tries to open my old vault and crashes again.

PS: I also have another question. As it seems your beta somehow seems to remember the master passphrase for my agilekeychain vault. Why is that? And isn't that somehow unsafe?

1Password Version: latest Beta from Windows App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @dahanbn on top of my head we've fixed some crashes, but we didn't release for a while. Since app is asking for your vault's password I believe you have chosen the right folder (sometimes people got confused with which folder to choose and choose inner folders), which brings me to another possible cause - is there a file "1password.agilekeychain\data\default.password.hint" in your vault? I believe that was the cause of some crashes and it should be fixed with next update. We can take a closer look if you click "Call for help" button to open your configured email client and attach crash logs.

Regarding master password, when you open any vault (or sign in to your family or team) for the first time your password is used to initialize master password on your device. You can always change your master password on the device by going Settings\Options\Change Master Password. Please note that your master password is never stored on disk or sent over network, it's only purpose is to generate key that can be used to decrypt master key (I know that part sounds complicated :) ). Master key (that is also never leaves device RAM unencrypted) is used to encrypt decrypt data on your device. That way we make ensure that your master password/key can not be stolen from disk or network, and that even if your local database or network traffic are stolen - attacker can not decrypt it in a life time without guessing your master password and having access to your decrypted master key from the same device.

• @dahanbn ups, I've made a typo, I've meant .password.hint file in default folder. Sorry about that. And yes, you've chosen the right directory.

First thing first - your .agilekeychain is safe, Windows 10 app do not update/edit/modify legacy vaults as of now. All edit/add item buttons should be disabled in legacy vaults as well.

When call for help or other regular screens are not available there is a way to launch 1Password directly at Support screen - just run this link in your browser op://help From there you can get to "Support\Email 3 days logs" (this is actually what Call for help is supposed to be doing) or you can get to "More\Open crashes folder". Latter is required when mail client is not configured or can not add attachments.

Back to the real issue - crashing when reading .agilekeychain. I do believe this could be due to the missing .password.hint file, I believe there was a fix for that some time ago. But there were many other fixes as well. Including very annoying technical issue with database, which we resolved just yesterday. So now I'm thinking, why not simply make a release so you can give it a try? :) I'll be in touch.

• Thanks, got it!

We believe that attachments do not work when sandboxed app wants to attach files to native mail client, we have an idea how to fix that.

• @dahanbn yes, that is definitely not the right start for UTF-8 encoded JSON file! Not sure how you got it, but I can definitely do better by not crashing app when we see files like that.

content.js is not used by Windows 10 app anymore, too often it was out of sync with real list of files. We just read all your .1password files (items). I believe there is a Repair Vault button in 1Password 4 for Windows that should refresh contents.js and do some other checks.

The easiest way to count items is to count .1password files or rename that troubled file to something without .1password at the end, so Windows app can open vault and show count.

• We reviewed code for .agilekeychain, now it will refuse to read large item files and will not crash while reading non-text/malformed files.

This discussion has been closed.