My android phone keeps telling me a 1Password vault wasn't found in the correct folder on Dropbox.

jack_finbow
jack_finbow
Community Member

I created my 1Password vault on my iPad and synced with Dropbox successfully. I then installed the 1Password app on my laptop and managed to sync with the vault stored on my Dropbox account. However, when using the 1Password app on my android phone, selecting apps/1Password/1Password.opvault/default it tells me the vault was not found in this folder even though I chose this same folder on my laptop. Also, on reading your forums, it says I should be able to locate the 1Password.agilekeychain file but that was never created when I synced: inside the default folder there are loads of band_js files which seem to be the stored passwords, although Dropbox sync with my iPad works fine.

1Password Version: 6.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @jack_finbow .

1Password on Android uses the AgileKeychain format for Dropbox and local storage sync. We don’t support the OPVault format for these sync methods yet, but this is something that we are planning on revisiting.

We recently introduced Wi-Fi sync that uses an internal version of the OPVault format. If you wish to avoid using AgileKeychain right now, you can switch over to Wi-Fi sync on your Android device and switch to OPVault format on other platforms.

Otherwise, you can simply switch to AgileKeychain to sync all devices with that vault in Dropbox. Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Launch 1Password for Mac
    2. Under Help > Tools, uncheck Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync (this will let you create the .agilekeychain instead)
    3. Disable sync
    4. Set up sync, and an .agilekeychain will be created from the internal database in 1Password for Mac

Then go to your Sync settings on iOS and switch to the AgileKeychain. You should be able to sync your Android now. :) Let me know how it goes!

• jack_finbow
    jack_finbow
    Community Member

Thanks for replying, you said android uses a different vault format to other devices, is there any actual difference between these? Also, on your instructions, you say to launch 1Password for Mac, but I don't have a Mac so is there any other way of disabling OPVault as I couldn't find that option under help on iOS?

• @jack_finbow There are quite a few differences between the formats. The knowledge base article on OPVault Design has details on them. It's a bit long, though, so in summary, more metadata is encrypted, there are fewer separate files to optimize synchronizing, and authenticated encryption is added. Feel free to give that article a read if you'd like to learn about the additional bits.

As for converting your vault to the Agile Keychain format, it's not possible on iOS, but it is on Windows. If you have a computer running that, just follow the steps at the bottom of our Windows knowledge base article for switching to the OPVault and you can get things back to the Agile Keychain format. Let us know if that helps. :)

• jack_finbow
    jack_finbow
    Community Member

Thanks, I have followed your instruction and converted my vault from opvault to agilekeychain so can now access my vault, which syncs with Dropbox, on my android phone. Do you know if or when you plan to add support for opvault on android? Also, when reading your website about Dropbox syncing, it always mentions the agilekeychain and not opvault which I thought was odd considering it's the newer format?

• Glad to hear you were able to get sync working with your Android phone. :)

The change to OPVault as the default sync format on Mac and iOS is recent and we are still working on the transition! The developers are reviewing OPVault support for Android, but I don’t have a timeline of when it will become available yet.

This discussion has been closed.