How safe is 1Password's memory from getting invaded by other programs when unlocked

Options

Hi! A long time 1Password user here. I've been reading a number of articles on computer security lately and started to wonder how 1Password was safe from other software stealing my data from 1Password's RAM when it's unlocked and I open some item. I know how trivial it is for programs like Cheat Finder or Artmoney to "cheat" in games giving you unlimited money, items etc by altering the running game's memory. What happens if such a program is programmed in such a way so that it looks in 1Password's memory and steals my unlocked data whenever I open an item?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kot_vaska: Great question! It's quite a big one, but the most important things to keep in mind are these:

• 1Password only decrypts data on the fly as needed, so unlocking a vault with its Master Password does result in its entire contents existing in memory.
    • 1Password doesn't store your Master Password, so an attacker cannot steal it in order to decrypt other data.
    • Someone could, however, with sufficient access to your machine, simply collect data as you access it (for example taking screenshots as you view an item's details).

The most important thing you can do is to only install software from trusted sources so you don't end up in a situation where someone else owns your machine. And you can also use Unlock on Secure Desktop to have Windows give you a Master Password entry screen that is limited to 1Password and known Windows processes (which will prevent malware from attempting to log your keystrokes). I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• By the way, we recommend checking our security blog posts and the security section of our knowledge base to gain a better understanding of how 1Password works:

1. Our blog: https://blog.agilebits.com/category/security/
    2. Knowledge Base: https://support.1password.com/security/
This discussion has been closed.