Huge discrepancy in item numbers across Mac and iOS devices with Dropbox sync

gogobobo
gogobobo
Community Member

I am having issue with a huge discrepancy with number of items in my vault across Mac and iOS devices.

I am using Dropbox sync with OPVault on Mac (10.11.2), iPhone (9.2), and iPad (9.2). My Mac is showing that I have 335 total items in vault, while both my iOS devices are showing only 256 items. Things that I have already tried.

1. I have already followed and verified everything in this article: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/. Everything checked out and I still cannot pinpoint the issue.
  2. If I edit an entry on my Mac (that's currently missing on my IOS devices), that item still would not show up on my iOS. The timestamp does get modified in one of the "band_x.js" file inside the OPVault in my dropbox folder on both my Mac and iOS Devices, however.
  3. Any new item created either on Mac and iOS devices seem to be synced correctly right away
  4. I have completely deleted my original vault and started a new vault using an export from the old one quite a few times (by following the instruction here to start fresh: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/mac.html). Mac 1password5 still consistently has 335 items while the iOS devices consistently shows 256. ;-(
  5. I have disabled and re-enabled the dropbox sync on all my Mac and all my iOS Devices many times hoping to reset it, didn't help
  6. I have used the Delete all data and settings option on my iOS devices and start over again many times with newly created vault, didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure what else I can try to make my iOS apps sync up correctly.

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox sync item count inconsistent mac ios

Comments

• Hi @gogobobo,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. At this point we really need to get a look "under the hood." I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Reports in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Reports in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the reports and ensure that this is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the reports we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• gogobobo
    gogobobo
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I ended up working around this by converting the opvault back to the old agilekeychain format since the problem basically rendered 1password unusable on all my mobile devices. I guess maybe opvault isn't ready for prime time just yet.

• JanZak
    JanZak
    Community Member

Hi,

I have the exactly the same issue (lot of missing records in iOS/OPValut/Dropbox), so you can check my reports.
    However I found that records created on iOS are not synced to OS X at all - 3 records on iPhone.

Number of records:

Valut #1 on Mac: 352
    Valut #1 on iPhone: 278
    Valut #1 on iPad: 275

Valut #2 on Mac: 271
    Valut #2 on iPhone: 175
    Valut #2 on iPad: 175

Any help would be rally appreciated, switching back to .agilekeychain is not an option for me.

Jan

• Hi Jan ( @JanZak ),

Could you please generate diagnostics reports for us (following these instructions) and post your support ID here?

@Gogobobo,

Glad to hear you were able to find a solution. If you want to give OPVault another try please let us know. For what it is worth I use 1Password + OPVault + Dropbox on Mac, iOS, and Windows without difficulty, so it is definitely possible. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• JanZak
    JanZak
    Community Member

[#MPA-25259-973], [#IWT-55965-964]

• gogobobo
    gogobobo
    Community Member

Could you guys please post any possible solution here if found? I would love to go back to opvault if I can. Thanks!

• Hi @gogobobo,

We have not yet discovered the root of the problem with JanZak's setup, but when we do there is no guarantee that the resolution for him will also apply to anyone else. I'd suggest switching back to OPVault and if you're still having troubles please send us the reports following the instructions here. That way we can get a better idea of what is going on under the hood with your specific setup.

Thanks!

Ben

• congodog
    congodog
    Community Member

I have the same problem.
    Problem should not have to be solved by Ben.
    Upgrades are not properly tested and the result is a degraded product.
    I have used 1P for years and now they have taken a very useful app and ruined it.
    I will be looking elsewhere.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @congodog,

I will quite openly say I've seen certain bugs where I can't figure out how they managed to slip past us in the beta testing but it is also extremely difficult to ensure every possible corner case has been tested, more so if we're not even aware. For example one of the bugs that we became aware of in relation to OPVault was only discovered once some of our users who had used a convertor script tried out OPVault. My entire vault was created from within 1Password so I was never going to discover this bug. Once the bug was identified we worked to address it.

Bugs will make it into stable releases. All software have them and yes, it can be sad if it's a particularly bad bug that slipped past testing. We learn from each and improve the software. While there is an issue connected to the OPVault container and thus syncing it hasn't resulted in the loss of any data and once the issue is identified and fixed all copies will correctly sync as they continue to do with the Agile Keychain.

If you would like us to work with you to get sync working again please just say and that's exactly what we'll do :smile:

• congodog
    congodog
    Community Member

If the sync fails, so does a critical feature of 1P.
    critical.

• We don't disagree, @congodog. Software is created by imperfect humans, and as such will always be imperfect. Ideally these imperfections are kept to a minimum, and are found in testing. Obviously, as littlebobbytables mentioned, sometimes they are missed. The best we can do is work as quickly as we can to resolve the ones that make it into a stable release.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• congodog
    congodog
    Community Member

It worked fine until they attempted to 'improve' it.
    Like your use of "don't disagree", a double negative and an unnecessary use of time, space and energy which only serves to muddle the message. I was in the 'software business' in the 90s, an exercise which allowed me to retire young.
    As for 'improvements for the sake of improvement', many are a similar waste of time (and investors money).
    Passwords are important to protect. Do that, and make them securely available to me as promised and I will be happy.
    And save the patronizing rhetoric, Ben.

• If you have any further questions we can help with please feel free to write in.

Ben

• aviones
    aviones
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Now working...

Thanks

• Now working...

Thanks for the update, @aviones!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.