Chrome "Looking for Helper" message sometimes appears; what is cause?

Often from Chrome I get the error "Looking for Helper". I have resorted to opening 1Password application and copying and pasting the information I need but that's not optimal. It seems to happen most when I click a link to a website (example bank website to pay credit card). But then sometimes if I open the site directly, the 1password works. I cannot find anything in the knowledge base or support forum explaining what would cause this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:chrome not installed, kb:extension-troubleshooting, kb-search:looking for helper, kb:windows-processes

Comments

• Hi @tsrconsult,

In almost all cases, it's a third party interference form an anti-malware solution, firewall, VPN or a proxy that is not allowing 1Password extension reach to the 1Password Helper running on your system.

Do you have anything like that and if yes, can you tell us the names?

• tsrconsult
    tsrconsult
    Community Member

I don't have anything that I can think of... Especially since it is only occasional that it happens.

• Hi @tsrconsult,

That's not good, intermittent issues makes it difficult to narrow down. The next time it happens, please generate the 1Password report afterward, so we can capture any errors. Use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com.

If you can, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread. Also, reply here to let us know you sent the email, so we can look for it and confirm we got the email.

• By the way, what about other browsers except for IE like Firefox or Opera, is 1Password working there?

• HankPym
    HankPym
    Community Member

I've ran into this issue myself lately, where the 'Looking for Helper' needed to load each time I booted my Chrome browser.

MikeT's original post made me consider what it might be; I recently installed the Hola VPN extension for loading US versions of websites. I suspect disabling it will resolve the issue. Do you have anything similar TSRConsult?

• Hi @HankPym,

Thanks for letting us know about Hola VPN, we'll keep an eye out on this next time.

This discussion has been closed.