Not always prompted to update Login when changing password on sites

2»

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wassupdoc,

The known issue that prevents 1Password from prompting you to update a Login item happens when clicking the 'Fill' button in the password generator in 1Password mini. But if you copy & paste the generated password instead of clicking the 'Fill' button, it should work correctly and ask to update your Login item when you submit the 'change password' form on the website. To copy it, you can either highlight the generated password and go to Edit > Copy (or use the ⌘C shortcut), or click the ▼ button next to 'Fill' and choose Copy. So, this is an easy way to avoid the other steps you might need to take to update a Login item.

Also, this bug has been fixed in the latest 1Password extension beta. If you'd like to install the beta extension so you can use the 'Fill' button on change password forms, just follow these steps:

I apologize for the inconvenience! Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Thanks! :)

• iowaal
    iowaal
    Community Member

I am having the same issues and have used the copy/paste method as a "work around". A local financial institution requires password changes every 3-or 6 months...just long enough for me to forget the process...so, I usually have to do a second reset...that was until I did a little "poking around" to find out where the generated one I used was saved...So, I did a copy paste to edit but I couldn't update the last modified date...so I guess that will just be wrong. I figured that since there are almost no two sites that have the same process for updating a password that the save new login was not always able to recognize what was going on. I will just keep using the "work around" for now....The information presented was very helpful...

• iowaal
    iowaal
    Community Member

One additional note....the "copy to clipboard" is great...if I could only figure out where the heck to access the "clipboard" would be...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@iowaal:

One additional note....the "copy to clipboard" is great...if I could only figure out where the heck to access the "clipboard" would be...

All you should have to do is to press ⌘+V—which, in the normal way, will paste whatever was the last thing added to the clipboard.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iowaal: You can also right-click for copy/paste. Using both that and ⌘ V is helpful, since some websites will block one or the other... :angry:

I am having the same issues and have used the copy/paste method as a "work around". A local financial institution requires password changes every 3-or 6 months...just long enough for me to forget the process...so, I usually have to do a second reset...that was until I did a little "poking around" to find out where the generated one I used was saved...So, I did a copy paste to edit but I couldn't update the last modified date...so I guess that will just be wrong. I figured that since there are almost no two sites that have the same process for updating a password that the save new login was not always able to recognize what was going on. I will just keep using the "work around" for now....The information presented was very helpful...

Understood. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. This isn't a good long-term solution obviously, and we're working on a fix. Thanks for your patience.

• Bob_Saget
    Bob_Saget
    Community Member

I've installed the beta version and this still seems to be a problem. If I go to a site and use an already existing username and manually type in the Username and a Bogus Password, 1 Password will ask to Save the Site or Update an Existing Site. Now if I do the same thing but this time I actually manually type the username and password (password doesn't match whats saved in 1Password - this is to see if it detects a change) and submit the form. I get logged in but 1Password never detects the change. Also on the same website, if I submit the login using the autofill from the mini vault, the login fails because the password is incorrect. If I manually edit the password to the correct password on the form and click submit 1Password doesn't detect the change. This is very problematic as I have used LastPass for years and it works and I really like 1Password but this is very cumbersome to update sites when it doesn't autodetect the changed password. I've used 1Password in the past and I'm really wanting to move back to it. I even signed up for the Family Piece which I think is great but I'm still missing somethings and this not autodetecting is a big piece as I have over 300 different logins.

• Jacob
    edited February 2016

@Bob_Saget Hmm, that's definitely not how it should be working. Does this happen for every site you've tried, or just some? I would love to do some testing if it's only on a few. If it's on all of them, something else must be going on. What version of the app and extension are you currently using?

PS: This discussion has been moved to the Saving and Filling in Browsers category and we'll keep it going from here. :)

This discussion has been closed.