I have a 1password account for me (1 user). And my wife has a 1password expired trial...

younger
younger
Community Member

My wife's trial is expired, but not linked, I don't think, to my account because my license says 1 user. I think I would now like to add my wife's account to mine and convert mine to family account, right? (I also have two daughters who will probably use 1password in the next few years too). My wife's trial has a vault that we don't want to lose either because she is currently using it. Please give detailed instructions for this.
Thank you.

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: 5.4.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Why does everyone else get to ask detailed questions, but my question has to be this short?

Comments

• Hey @younger! Actually, it sounds like you don't currently have a 1Password account, you just have a trial of the standalone app. That's okay! You can indeed start things off with Families. Once you add that account to the apps, the Trial Expired notice will disappear and you can continue using them as usual. Head over here to sign up: https://family.1password.com

To add the account to your apps, set it up first, then use the quest during setup, or follow our Migrate to a Family or Team account knowledge base article to get the account added and move your data over from your local vault. You can do this on your wife's device as well so her data will be in your Families account. And that's about all you need to do to get things set up. The Quests will help you get started with your Family, and you should be set. If you have any questions at all, please let us know. :)

• younger
    younger
    Community Member

I don't understand why you say I don't have an account? My wife's thing is expired, but I have a license for me... I've attached a pic of the email I got from Agile...
    So, when you (hopefully) confirm I'm not crazy, am I still to proceed as you have suggested above?
    [btw, it sure would be nice if the company had a phone number or chat support so that one could get this stuff accomplished in a more timely manner!]

• @younger Oh, sorry for the confusion there. I was mainly saying that 1Password accounts didn't exist before Teams and Families — we just had licenses. You do indeed have one under the email address you used to sign up on this forum, though, and I've just resent it to you. All you need to do is use the "Click here to Apply Your 1Password License" link on your wife's computer to apply it. One license is good for up to six members of the same household. Nice and simple. :) Hope that helps!

• younger
    younger
    Community Member

Ok, great! Thank you. So I just continue with the license I have, but add my wife's computer to it, and then we each have our own "vault"... is this correct? If so, will I have access to her vault and vice versa?

• @younger Yep, you can keep using things separately. If you want to share your vaults, you can do that as well without Families by syncing each one with Dropbox and sharing it. Here's our knowledge base article on the topic:

Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers?

It doesn't have as many features as Families, but if you simply want to share things then it's perfect. Let us know how things go!

This discussion has been closed.