can't make a backup

can't launch browser for database backup
The "Backing Up and Restoring Your 1Password touch Data" help screen says:

"1.The Backup & Restore screen displays, “Launch a browser from the computer on the same network and navigate to one of the following addresses:….” and then lists two addresses that you can access from your computer."

However, I can't launch a web browser from the address given from the 'Backup Service Started" screen in 1PW. I don't have Bonjour, so I'm trying the first URL.
I'm trying to launch a browser using IE 8 from the same PC I synch my iPhone to using iTunes. I get the message on my PC, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". There is no connection problem
If I let my phone sit for a few minutes and it locks, when I unlock it I get a brief message that 1Password couldn't make a connection, then it goes back to the
I have 1PasswordPro v3.5.9. iTunes shows it's up to date.

Apple says I have to restore to a new phone because junk that's accumulated on it. Please advise how to proceed with getting to the URL so I can make a backup.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Welcome to the forums, econguy. I am sorry that you are having this problem.

The easiest way to get your data not only backed up to your computer but also syncing is via Dropbox. Consider setting up Dropbox syncing which is less prone to network configuration idiosyncrasies. It works as long as your computer and iOS device are able to connect to the Internet.

The initial setup of Dropbox syncing requires 1Password for Mac or Windows and Dropbox to be installed on the same computer, at least temporarily. You can use the free trial of 1Password, and the Dropbox application is always free. Once you've got syncing set up and working, you can uninstall 1Password and Dropbox from your computer if you'd like to do so.

The following document describes the process in 1Password for Windows, but the same steps work in 1Password for Mac:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/iOS-to-Windows.html

Of course, we hope you'll like 1Password so much and find the syncing so convenient that you'll purchase a 1Password for Mac or Windows license, too...but there's no obligation. :)

Otherwise, you will need to continue to troubleshoot your Wi-Fi configuration:

• Your computer and iOS device must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
    • Make sure that everything is up-to-date.
    • Restart everything.

Your computer will not be able to access the "mini server" 1Password's backup service runs if your phone is only running over a 3G connection. It must be connected to your local Wi-Fi network: the same one to which your computer is connected.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • Khad,

In http://help.agilebit...to-Windows.html, the first step is to do a backup, just in case the sync results in lost data.
    This is the same point I couldn't get beyond in the beginning. My browser won't open or can't find the URL that 1PW on my iPhone is telling me to go to. The address is http://192.168.0.100:xxxx (numbers change iteratively every time I tap 'Settings > Database > Backup & Restore').

My iPhone is running on the WiFi network that my PC is hosting.
    My iPhone software and 1PW app are up to date
    I've rebooted my PC and the phone

Is there anything else I should be considering?

FYI, I did download 1PW for windows free trial and I already have a dropbox account. So I could do the Dropbox sync. I just don't want to do it until I have a backup.

Thank you.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Ah. That step is only included in those instructions if you have data already in 1Password on your desktop. There is no danger in setting up Dropbox syncing without a manual backup if you are not attempting to merge anything. Dropbox sync is just as reliable as the backup mechanism. That is why the Dropbox sync guide does not include any instructions to perform a manual backup first. :-)

If you just want to set up Dropbox syncing, there is no need to perform a manual backup first.
  • Very cool. It's all done buddy!! One more down and only one more to go and I can restore my iOS to a new phone!! I know it's not your ap but is the Culture Code Things syncing w Dropbox about the same?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything is working well. I never tire of reading that. :lol:

Unfortunately, Things does not support cloud syncing of any kind except in a very limited beta Mac-to-Mac right now. You will need to sync Things for iPhone via Wi-Fi to Things for Mac.

Good luck! Here is Cultured Code's support page if you need it.
This discussion has been closed.