Sharing a vault by PCs via LAN [solved]

Smite
Smite
Community Member
edited February 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I bought a PC and IOS license because:

"You alone use 1Password on five PCs and three tablets, all running Windows
Great! You still only need a single license. =)"

Now I learned that it's not possible via Wi-Fi. And yes, Wi-Fi only. We all learn every day that nothing is secure. I rather be discreet and selective what I share online.

So I'm looking for a workaround as it makes no sense for me to have all the nicely generated and cryptic passwords only on one PC while the others are unable to log into any of the sites.

The idea is about sharing one vault by multipe PCs over the LAN. Having access to one vault, which is sitting at a NAS, could solve the problem. Because of a file lockout only one PC might have access to the file at the same time.

Is this somethig that would qualify for a workaround??

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7/8
Sync Type: Wi-Fi
Referrer: ug:ios/sync-over-wifi, ug:windows/sync-wifi, kb:sync-options, kb:starting-over, kb:sync-options

Comments

• Smite
    Smite
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Ok, works like a charm.

I don't have any hazard problems: adding on one PC will show up immediatly on all others. Same with deleting or changing data. And with the NAS the data file is always accessible from any PC.

Now the rest of the IOS devices can be synced by Wi-Fi. :)

Maybe you should add this option to your descriptions that there might be a way to sync more than only one PC for a Wi-Fi solution :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Smite: Sorry for the confusion! Since Wi-Fi Sync works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices, we don't promote it as a solution for situations like yours. After all, that leaves other computers out in the cold.

However, as you pointed out, so long as you sync the data between computers as well, that can bridge the gap for you. Just be aware that if you're disconnected from the network storage, 1Password will fail to write to the vault there. If you always use these computers at home and don't suffer network issues, that shouldn't be a problem. But backing up your data is always a good idea.

P.S: I also deleted your duplicate post. Cheers! :)

• Smite
    Smite
    Community Member

@brenty:

Just be aware that if you're disconnected from the network storage, 1Password will fail to write to the vault there.

Good point. For traveling I have to backup first. Gladly 1Password is giving me always options including the complete path to selecet where to store and retieve the data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! I just thought I should mention it because it's slipped my mind before as well, since my main machine is almost always on my home network. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.