2 documents - same name - one is overridden

JamesHenderson
JamesHenderson
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Business and Teams

Hi,

So I have just noticed the documents category (must need glasses).

Anyway, in 1Password for Mac, I kept the download file licence, which has duty been imported into documents in 1Password for teams. However my v3/4 and v5 licence file both had the same name and the v5 points to the v3/4 (v5 no longer exists).

I am sure that I can get another copy of that file (can I?), but this appears to be a bug (duplicate document names).

J.

[Edit: I might have got that wrong. I think I have licences for v3 and v4/5 ??]
[Edit: Found my backup copy of v4 :chuffed: ]

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: teams (shortly -> family)

Comments

• Hey @JamesHenderson! Sorry for the trouble there. I'd like to try reproducing this and figure out what the issue is. How did you add the Document items originally, and did you link both of them or just one?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@penderworth - Hi!

They were each attached to a (different) "software licence" item. They then got transferred to documents when I moved them to 1Password for teams.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that info, @JamesHenderson.

Just wanted to let you know that we're still working on reproducing this issue and may have more questions, but nothing new at the moment. Cheers!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi James,

Back to let you know I've failed to figure out how to overwrite Document items in a Teams vault like you reported. I'd like to clarify this:

However my v3/4 and v5 licence file both had the same name and the v5 points to the v3/4 (v5 no longer exists).

[Edit: I might have got that wrong. I think I have licences for v3 and v4/5 ??]

1Password 3 uses a license key, while 1Password 4 (and later) uses a license file. Is it possible that only one of your Software License items originally in your Primary vault had a license file attached to it that was converted into a single Document item when moving items to the Teams vault? Although later you said:

They were each attached to a (different) "software licence" item. They then got transferred to documents when I moved them to 1Password for teams.

Did you have two separate Document items after moving the Software License items? And if those were both a copy of the same license file maybe it appeared that one had overwritten the other, but actually they'd been identical license files attached to different items while still in the Primary vault.

The Software License item details might be different while the license file attached to each of them could have been the same. For example, your identical 1Password 4 license file was attached to different 1Password 3/4 and 1Password 5 Software License items.

Right now that's an explanation that makes most sense to me. I'm curious how you confirmed "one is overridden", if you can remember. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

Hi,

I had 2 separate documents as I was holding the licence file for my dad as well. I just got little confused with the version numbers (we both bought v3 and upgraded to v4...).

thanks,
    James,

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

And you found those Document items had the same license file content when you'd expected it to be different – one for you, one for your dad?

Seems without restoring an older backup and checking there's no way to know for sure if the license file attached to each Software License item in the Primary vault was actually different before moving those items. My hunch is that they'd somehow ended up being the same.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

there's no way to know for sure if the license file attached to each Software License item in the Primary vault was actually different before moving those items.

That's a fair point. I had backups elsewhere and have restored them since so everything is actually OK now.

If you are sure that is is not repeatable, let's leave it. I just wanted you to be aware, but maybe if was my fault as you mentioned. Sorry if I wasted your time.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Not a waste of time at all, James. We really appreciate you reporting this so it could be investigated, even if it hasn't been repeatable and whatever happened for you remains a mystery. And of course we want to know if it crops up again.

Depending on the current state of your 1Password database the original Software License items (and attached license files) that you moved to a Teams vault might still be in Trash and worth a peek there if it hasn't been emptied. If you find 'em then you can check if the license files do differ or are identical.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.