Clicking on "Secure Desktop" does nothing

This discussion was created from comments split from: Secure Desktop unlock is broken.

Comments

• fightinfilipino
    fightinfilipino
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

i'm getting this error as well. running Win 7 x64. clicking on Secure Desktop from the main 1Password window does nothing...the program just sits there. running Windows Defender for antivirus.

edit: consent.exe does not show up in Task Manager when doing this.

• Hi @fightinfilipino,

Your issue is different from the original one, so I've split your post into its own thread.

Your issue sounds like you're running 1Password 4.6.0.600. Can you confirm what version you're using via the Help Menu > About 1Password.

If yes, go to the Help Menu > Check for New Version to install the latest 4.6.0.604 version and reboot your computer afterward, it should then work better now.

• fightinfilipino
    fightinfilipino
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

and the problem seems to also affect my Win 8.1 machine (Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (x64) Build 9600). clicking on "Secure Desktop" from the 1Password application does nothing.

this is using:
    1Password for Windows 4.6.0.604
    1Password Beta Chrome Extension 4.5.4.6
    Windows 8.1 x64 Build 9600
    Windows Defender for antivirus

Defender does not trigger when clicking the Secure Desktop. it just does not work.

also, odd problem: when i updated from the last version of 1Password to 4.6.0.604, the program said that the update would not work the normal way and would need to be downloaded. when i downloaded the installer from 1Password's website (the actual link was for a Cloudfront CDN i believe), the installer did not list Agilebits as the publisher. i don't recall this being a problem before but i could be mistaken...

• Hi @fightinfilipino,

also, odd problem: when i updated from the last version of 1Password to 4.6.0.604, the program said that the update would not work the normal way and would need to be downloaded. when i downloaded the installer from 1Password's website (the actual link was for a Cloudflare CDN i believe), the installer did not list Agilebits as the publisher. i don't recall this being a problem before but i could be mistaken...

That may explain why secure desktop doesn't work, it's not a properly signed build, which will break the secure desktop process.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• fightinfilipino
    fightinfilipino
    Community Member

e-mail sent, thanks!

• fightinfilipino
    fightinfilipino
    Community Member

i'm also worried a bit about the unsigned installer now...is there any risk of a man in the middle attack or something else here?

• Hi @fightinfilipino,

Thanks for sending along the email. We'll take a close look at it and get back to as soon as possible.

Cheers!

ref: SQP-41292-488

• fightinfilipino
    fightinfilipino
    Community Member

thanks Alex.

i am worried about the unsigned installer. any explanation on that? i mainly want to know if this is an issue Agilebits knows about and not an indication that the installer has been tampered with by a third party.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fightinfilipino: We don't distribute unsigned installers. But if you got it from anywhere other than AgileBits all bets are off. Only download 1Password from our website:

AgileBits — Downloads

However, I have seen cases where "security" software running on the computer interfered with the installer, preventing Windows from reading/displaying the signature information. Definitely something to look into.

• fightinfilipino
    fightinfilipino
    Community Member

I've only downloaded the 1Password installer from Agilebits' site (or in this case, directly from a link from Agilebits support at https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/win4/1Password-4.6.0.604.exe)

on my Win 7 and Win 8.1 machines, i get a UAC prompt indicating that the publisher is "unknown". on a Win 10 machine, Windows seems to see that the installer is signed. i only use Windows Defender (with manual Malwarebytes scans) on the Win 7 and 8.1 machines. the Win 10 machine is also using only Defender.

as far as i can tell, the Win 7 and 8.1 machines do not have indications of any malware or compromise. they're also both fully updated for the OS. any ideas here?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fightinfilipino: If you're seeing something different than this when you run the installer, something is wrong on your system:

That's what I was referring to: if other software you have installed is interfering, causing it to be shown as "unknown". This should be the same file with the same signature on all of your machines, so that fact that it shows up properly on your Windows 10 machine indicates that the problem lies on the others alone.

Windows Defender only exists on 8 and 10, but I have Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 machine (pictured above) and this hasn't ever interfered with 1Password's functionality or signature, so it will be something else entirely in your case. Please let me know what you find!

• fightinfilipino
    fightinfilipino
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Here's the e-mail I sent Agilebits support last night:

"Hi,

I'm back to my primary Win 8.1 machine. I checked to make sure Windows updates have been installed. I redownloaded the installer from your link and tried to run it, and got the same problem. On a hunch, I downloaded the installer from the main link on the Agilebits website, and THAT installer showed Agilebits as the signed publisher. I've since installed this version. Unlocking on Secure Desktop works again.

That is strange. Do you have the md5 or SHA-1 hash for the correct installer file? Something weird is happening here. Either my earlier downloads of the installer were corrupted, or there are two versions of the installer in the wild."

• Hi @fightinfilipino,

I've replied to your email just now.

ref: SQP-41292-488

This discussion has been closed.