Multiple password option for 1Password?

emmgee
emmgee
Community Member

I change my password across all of the places I use a password once a year. I have a mnemonic that helps me remember the password for that year. I use this for my master 1P password. At work I use this as the root of my password but because we have to change passwords every quarter, I have a convention where I add one more character at the end of the password.

I can't use 1P when I unlock my computer so I have to enter my work password manually many times a day. So when I use 1P and have to enter my password, sometimes I'll enter just the "root password" (the correct one) and sometimes by habit I'll enter my work password (with its one extra character).

Is there any way to have two passwords for 1P?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @emmgee,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your question, and for explaining your use case! I don't believe I've seen this particular question before, so it helps to know how that would improve your workflow.

Is there any way to have two passwords for 1P?

No, there isn't any option to have two different master passwords work to unlock 1Password on your computer. But even if that was possible, it wouldn't be a good idea to use the same password to unlock both your computer and 1Password, because if someone were able to figure out the password for your computer, they would also be able to unlock your 1Password data.

Please do let us know if you have more questions about that or need anything else - we're always happy to help! :)

• emmgee
    emmgee
    Community Member

You make a good point. My IT staff has access to my computer password and you're right, I wouldn't want them to know my master 1Password password. Thanks!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @emmgee,

I'm glad Drew could provide an answer for you, even if it might not have been the one you wanted to hear. Thanks for understanding our security choice here--just doing our best to keep your data safe. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions for us. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.