Dealing with increasing number of sites with "pour over" login screens

camner
camner
Community Member

Increasingly, websites are moving away from the old style login boxes that are a static part of a web page in favor of what I will call "pour over" login screens (that is, when one clicks "login" one gets a screen that slides into place from somewhere or another that has the username/password boxes).

This new methodology causes a couple of headaches and inconveniences:

1. The "go and fill" technique that worked so well for 1P in the past can't deal with this, as far as I can tell
  2. At least some of the time, 1P will fill in some other field that DOES exist on the target web page when one asks 1P to "go and fill" (an obvious workaround would be to turn off autofill for that particular site).

I'm assuming that this is the wave of the future and we just have to live with it, but I'm wondering if 1P, in some future incarnation, might try to detect a "login" link and invoke the "pour over" login screen and fill it?

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 5.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @camner ,

We will certainly look into that possibility, but it may be very difficult to detect as there's no standard "login link". To take the edge off a little, remember that there is a keyboard shortcut to fill. When you get to a site, click the Login link, and then press Command \ - this will fill the login for you.

I hope that helps, at least a little. If you have further questions, please reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Thanks. I forgot about the command-\ combo. While there isn't a standard login link, wouldn't looking for a link with the word "login" or "sign in" take care of 83.42% of the cases, more or less (I know I'm oversimplifying here...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: And if it's any consolation, many "popup" login forms work just fine with 1Password — though obviously there are those that don't! As always, it depends entirely how the site is coded, and no two are exactly alike!

But in the cases where 1Password can't find the form, this is often because it's not there. That may sound ridiculous (and of course I can't think of an example off the top of my head), but when the site calls up a separate page for the login form (or uses a frame or scripting) sometimes this is simply invisible to 1Password, and then it can't do anything with it.

When you do encounter issues like this, the best this to do is to report them using our Synapse website issue tracker, and if let us know here on the forums we're happy to try to offer workarounds as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.