Question about upgrading/reinstalling and not losing passwords

kearsy
kearsy
Community Member

I've used 1Password v3 on my iPhone (and only on my phone) for years. I'm now having problems with my Apple ID and need to delete and reinstall most of my apps (including 1Password). Will I lose any data doing this? To reassure myself, I thought I would try installing 1Password v4 migrating my data from v3 to v4 (and doing so on various devices) before deleting it from my iPhone, but I can't get the migration to work. When I choose the migration option in v4, it takes me to v3 with a window that asks if I want to migrate to the new version - when I select Migrate to 1Password4, it asks for my unlock code in v3, I type it in, and then there are my passwords, but nothing else happens. Every time I try to use either v3 or v4, the same thing repeats. What can I do? Or, is there a better way to delete and reinstall (whichever version) in a way such that I can be sure I won't be losing any of my data? (I have done a backup on to my computer from my iPhone already but I'm not sure if that's enough as I'm not sure if I'd be able to restore from backup later on after I delete/reinstall/upgrade etc.)

1Password Version: v3.6.5 ; v4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.2.1
Sync Type: I don't know
Referrer: kb:sync-options

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

@kearsy - Have you had a chance to read these instructions? How do I upgrade from 1Password 3 on iOS?

Do they help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kearsy: Indeed. And the most important step in the guide is to backup your data! That way if you run into any issues, you can always restore it. Please let us know how it turns out. We're here for you! :)

• kearsy
    kearsy
    Community Member

Hello - thank you for the link to upgrading from 1Password3 on iOS. I followed all the instructions for the Alternative method for 1Password 3.6.5 or later (since that's the version I had), including backing up first. Everything was fine until I tried to Finish the import but that did not work. I had chosen the same password as before - the instructions say that "If your old and new 1Password vaults had the same Master Password, you will not be prompted to enter it" (this was not correct, as I was promoted to enter it so I did) and then instead of "Your vault will import automatically", this did not happen for me - nothing has been imported. What do I do?

• Hi @kearsy,

Was a vault created in 1Password 6 for iOS? I.e. when you open the app are you prompted for your Master Password? If so, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• kearsy
    kearsy
    Community Member

Hello, yes I was prompted for my Master Password in 1Password 6 for iOS, so I assume this means a vault was created. I have created a diagnostics report within 1Pwd6 and emailed it as described above. The support ID I got back is: #RJB-71488-577.

• Thanks, @kearsy. We've received your report and will continue the conversation via email. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.