Cannot join a team on 1password for windows

I received an invite to join my team on 1password. When I clicked on the link in my email, it opened a new browser tab that would not load but remained a blank screen. I am using an updated version of internet explorer and windows7. I also tried opening in google chrome without success. Next, I tried downloading 1password directly to my computer. When I ran the program, it asked if I was a first time user, have used before, or if I want to restore from backup. Clicking on first time user, the program asked for access to my files, which I agreed to. Then, however, I again received a blank browser screen. I thought that joining 1password for teams via a team invite would lead to an automated download. What is going wrong here? I think I meet the system requirements.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:teams blank screen

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2016

Hi @alg121,

Do you have a content blocker enabled in Chrome or use a proxy that strips certain contents? If yes, try to disable it for Chrome and it should then show the 1Password for Teams site for you.

In addition, there is no desktop version of 1Password right now that can support the 1Password for Teams service on Windows 7. We're working on an update to 1Password for Windows that will bring support for this but I don't have a timeframe on this.

For Windows 10 customers, there's a beta version of 1Password in the Windows 10 Store that includes support for 1Password for Teams.

• By the way, I've moved your thread to our Teams Beta forum, so our 1Password for Teams experts can help you.

• alg121
    alg121
    Community Member

Thanks for moving it over. No, there is not a content blocker or proxy involved

• Hi, @alg121, and welcome to our forum!

1Password for Teams does not work in Internet Explorer, but it should be working in Google Chrome. Do you see a white screen in Chrome or does Chrome give an error message?

Also, could you open the link in Chrome again, then open the JavaScript Console and let me know what you see there? You can open the console using the shortcut Control-Shift-J.

• LavonF
    LavonF
    Community Member

Guys, this is very frustrating. I am trying to setup my family with "1Password Family" by sending invites and we have windows clients in our home. It won't work. You need to support Internet Explorer out of the gate. Common, it is Windows. Most people use Internet Explorer. This is a real show stopper for me and my family. I finally thought I had a solution to include my wife in all the passwords I use on my Mac and then I hit a wall. Do you have estimates for when Windows 7 and Internet Explorer will be supported as well as Windows 10 non-beta and support for Internet Explorer there as well. I have been a big believer in the product but I am becoming less of a believer when I see this type of unsupported main stream systems and browsers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

You need to support Internet Explorer out of the gate.

@LavonF: We can't. It simply doesn't support important standards (such as WebCrypto, which is critical for security) that 1Password Teams/Families use to encrypt your data end-to-end between the browser on your computer and the 1Password Teams/Families server. It makes it possible to ensure that only encrypted data is ever transmitted, and your Account Key and Master Password never are either.

This is a real show stopper for me and my family. I finally thought I had a solution to include my wife in all the passwords I use on my Mac and then I hit a wall.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I understand completely, but we're not willing to compromise on security. And Internet Explorer in particular is not being developed by Microsoft any longer, so it is unlikely that it will ever meet the minimum requirements.

Do you have estimates for when Windows 7 and Internet Explorer will be supported as well as Windows 10 non-beta and support for Internet Explorer there as well.

While at this time we have no plans to support Internet Explorer, we're working hard on an update for the 1Password for Windows desktop app to support 1Password Families/Teams. I don't have a release date for you, but we'll be sure to announce it — and the final release of the Windows 10 app — when the time comes.

• LavonF
    LavonF
    Community Member

Brent, thank you for your responses to my concerns. I understand now why Agilebits is not supporting the Windows 7 and Internet Explorer combination for 1Password Teams/Family. I think it would be helpful to state that information on your website explaining the company direction and why (I apologize in advance if I missed that). I for one would not want Agilebits to compromise on security. I trust Agilebits for that very reason. I didn't realize until now what security technologies 1Password depended on in order to be secure. Thank you and the 1Password team for keeping us secure and security in the browser as a priority. Now that we have that question resolved what is the direction in Windows 10 as for browser support? Will Microsoft Edge support WebCrypto properly? I think it is more about supporting WebCrypto properly, correct? I guess I will have to convince my family to start using Google Chrome. Sincerely, @LavonF

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LavonF: No problem! And those are great questions too. The short version is that the 1Password Families/Teams web interface works in Edge* (I'll get to the asterisk in a minute).

WebCrypto is, admittedly, a bit confusing. As far as I know, no browser supports the entire standard, but so long as there aren't any major omissions it should work. Chrome and Firefox are the leaders here.

*Now here's where it gets complicated. If you signed up for 1Password Families/Teams this year, you'll be able to use the web interface in Edge. You don't have anything to worry about and can ignore the rest of this (unless you're curious). But originally it did not work in Edge and Safari. Their WebCrypto support is less complete than Chrome and Firefox, but as you can imagine it was important to us (and our customers) to work around the limitations, and we were successful. However it meant that older accounts from before that change use WebCrypto features (primarily for speed and efficiency) that simply don't work in Edge and Safari. Unfortunately Internet Explorer is way behind the rest (both with WebCrypto and other standards), and it just isn't feasible to get it working there, especially with Microsoft abandoning it in favour of Edge.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking in regards to Windows 10, but I'll just say that we're working on a solution for browser integration in Windows 7, 8, and 10. Windows 7 is important because that's where most of the PC users are still (especially businesses), and Windows 10 is popular and represents the future of the platform, with Windows 8 compatibility being possible as a byproduct of supporting the other two. We're also very interested in making an Edge browser extension, but we're still waiting for Microsoft to release a specification we can use to build one.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.