v3 to v6

susan337
susan337
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Mac

One member of our family (ok, it's me) was using 1Password v3. Then I was given shared access to another family member's vault which was on v6. The trouble I'm having now is transitioning my vault to v6. I'm only able to see the other vault on v6. And I'm only able to see my own vault on v3. How can I see both vaults in v6? Thank you

1Password Version: 3.8.18 and 6.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @susan337,

Thanks for writing in! It sounds like your family member shared a vault with you via Dropbox, and you set that up as the Primary vault in 1Password 6? If so, we actually recommend setting up your own personal vault as the Primary, and then adding other vaults (like the one which was shared with you) as secondary vaults. But don't worry, we can help you get this all straightened out!

Assuming you want your own personal vault (i.e. the one that's currently in 1Password 3) to be your Primary vault in 1Password 6, you'll first need to reset 1Password 6 by following the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

After that, when you open 1Password 6 again, it'll be like the first time. It should either detect your own data in 1Password 3 and give you the option to use that, or otherwise you can tell it where to find your 1Password 3 data: If 1Password 3 is syncing with Dropbox, you'll need to choose your own .agilekeychain file from your Dropbox folder. If you aren't syncing 1Password 3 with Dropbox, the default location of your 1Password 3 keychain file on your Mac is:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Now, as long as that all goes well and your own data is now in 1Password 6, you can re-add the vault your family member shared with you. Assuming they shared it with you via Dropbox, you can simply find their sync file in your Dropbox folder and double-click on it, and 1Password 6 should ask if you want to add it.

Does that help? If you have any trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• susan337
    susan337
    Community Member

I haven't even finished reading your response but am so thankful for your help! I'll follow thru w your steps later on today :)))

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Drew, you're most welcome! I'll only add that I think at least part of the confusion stems from the fact that 1Password 3 does not support multiple vaults. But in 1Password 6 you can use many at once in the app. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions. We're here for you! :)

• susan337
    susan337
    Community Member

Thank you both for the responsiveness! I finally found time to follow through on the first step of opening 1Pass6 with my file. After gaining access to the other file again, I'll take the step of adding it. I anticipate no problems! Thanks again!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Great! Sounds like it's going well so far, and I'm sure re-adding the other vault will also go smoothly for you as well. But if you run into any trouble or have questions about that, be sure to let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.