(10.11.4 El Capitan version) Nothing works. Can not sign in to online accounts.

72 years old and having trouble.
Bought both your OS X, iOS software.
Very confused about how everything works.
Can not sign into my bank account among others.
When it does work iPassword, two windows seem to open.
1password window and Safari password window.
Seems like that is overkill.
Quite often 1password will ask if I want to save password and I click ok.
Next time go to same site have to type in password manually.

When I open my sign in bank window, nothing happens, even if I put in the first letter of sign in.
Tried opening 1password when turn on computer, not even sure if that is necessary.
Very frustrating for this old man.
Tried watching tutorials on 1password on utube and get so confused with all the buzz terms, phrases and words.
Really want this to work, seems like great idea, just in a maze of confusion.
Thanks,
John R Garland

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: What is this, have no idea ?
OS Version: 10.11.4 El Capitan version
Sync Type: Do not even know what you are asking.
Referrer: forum-search:(10.11.4 El Capitan version) Nothing works. Can not sign in to online accounts.

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @johnrgarland. Thanks for your post. I'm so sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting started with 1Password. I think it's awesome that you're giving this a shot, and we're going to do everything we can to help you get the most out of 1Password. My encouragement for others that find 1Password difficult at first is to take it step by step, learn to do just one thing at a time, and give yourself permission to learn something new without so much pressure. :)

Let's just start with a brief overview of 1Password. 1Password acts like a vault where you can store your most important information securely. You can add many different kinds of information to your 1Password vault, but there are only three kinds that can be filled for you in the web browser: Credit card details, Identity information, and Logins, which are credentials like a username and password for signing in to a website.

For Logins, the most reliable way to store them in 1Password is using the browser extension. You said you don't know what the extension is, but since you said that 1Password offered to save your information for you as you were browsing, it sounds like you have it installed, so that's a great first start. As you've learned, 1Password will prompt you to save logins as you browse. Sometimes 1Password might not recognize that you're logging in to a site, and in those cases we have a simple manual process to save the Login so you can save it the next time you sign in.

Once you have the Login stored in 1Password, you can use it in your normal web browser to log in to that site. On the Mac, all your logging in still happens in your normal browser using the 1Password extension. If you're using Safari, you can make sure you have the 1Password extension installed and on the latest version by choosing Safari > Preferences > Extensions. 1Password should be in the list and should have a version number of 4.5.3. If it doesn't, you can install it quickly from Apple's Safari Extensions Gallery

On iOS, there are a few options. You can use the built-in browser in 1Password itself, which we call 1Browser, or Safari using our extension. These links are to specific sections in the user guide that discuss these features in step-by-step detail.

When it comes to actually logging in, 1Password always requires your specific instruction to fill your information and won't voluntarily populate the fields. This is a security feature and a bit of a departure from what the password saving and filling in Safari and other browser does, but it sounds like it caused some confusion for you as a new user.

You can request 1Password fill in a few different ways, but I would recommend that you simply visit the page in your web browser like you normally and then click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar and choose the Login from the list offered to you. So, for instance, for Facebook, I would just type facebook.com in my browser, press return and then when the page loads, I would click the toolbar button, choose my Facebook login and the extension would populate my username and password.

I hope that helps clarify some of the basics about 1Password. I would encourage you to review our user guides for Mac and iOS. Our documentation team works hard to make these guides as comprehensive and accessible as possible, but if there's something that's not clear, please let us know and we'll clarify it for you and then update the documentation to make it work better for everyone.

Thanks again, John. I hope my post is helpful. If you have any other questions or difficulties, please don't hesitate to let us know.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.