File attachments in 1Password for Teams

Hello, I tried to move some items containing file attachments to 1Password for Teams. I've found several issues regarding to this:
1. All attachments are listed and directly accessible under All Items, mixed among other vault items. It is very confusing.
2. The detail of an item containing attachments shows section "Related Items" and there are several lines, each for a single attachment, saying "Imported Attachment Imported Attachment". The first "Imported Attachment" is a label, the second one is a "name" of the attachment. When you click on any of the items, it redirects you to "All Items" to the attachment file. Again, this solution is very, very confusing.
3. You can't add, manage nor directly access items' attachments.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@oksoftware: Sorry of the confusion! 1Password for Teams does not support attachments; rather, files you add are stored as separate Document items (listed in the side bar), which can be linked to other items (Details > Edit > Link Existing or Add New File). I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• JimClark
    JimClark
    Community Member

oksoftware:
    I use 1Password for Mac which may have some differences, but as brenty pointed out, you have to edit the item (i.e. the software license) to manage linked files. From the edit screen, you can change the label, delete, add additional links, but like you I found it confusing. My first thought was to "right-click" (on the Mac, it's a two-finger tap ;-) to manage the files.

I haven't tested this recently, but you also have to be aware of "orphans" -- deleting an item with a linked file does not delete the file, and transferring items with attached files with the same name as existing files can cause problems. These may have been fixed in a recent build, but I have stopped using linked files for the time being.

In way of explanation (you may not care ;-), I think there is a distinct difference between an attached file (for example a software license or a bank account document with security information), and a document vault (sensitive documents you want access to such as birth certificates or a life insurance policy).

To that end, I am only using 1Password for Teams as a document vault. Any items with attached files, I'm leaving in a "standard"/dropbox vault for the time being. It kind of negates the Teams/Family paradigm, but it keeps hundreds of files, many with cryptic, meaningless names out of the documents and all items lists.

I also know some people with a lot of attached files using tags to find documents quickly. This doesn't eliminate files from the all items list, but a simple "not-attached" tag can bring up a quick list of "real" documents.

I hope this can be addressed one day, but I'm sure the overall push to release Teams puts this way down on the list of things to address. Overall the family LOVES the new features, and there hasn't been a lot of people bringing up document issues.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty and @JimClark for your great explanation. I need to start thinking differently when working with documents in the team :)

• @oksoftware On behalf of them both, you're welcome. Glad everything is sorted out. :)

• matiaskorhonen
    matiaskorhonen
    Community Member

The Attachments ➔ Documents migration is definitely one of the most annoying changes in 1Password for Teams.

We certainly have cases where we have a attachments that are tightly related to each other and it doesn't make any sense to break them up into separate first class documents. For example we store copies of production SSL certificates and keys in our (shared) vault. Having them as separate documents makes no sense whatsoever.

I hope this change won't be forced on non-team vaults in the future…

• Hi @matiaskorhonen,

I agree that we can (and should) do better with the Attachments -> Documents migration.

I can see why the case of public/private keys is a little clumsier in Documents than with Attachments. The two files really belong as a pair and having them treated separately makes less sense. We're in a similar position with some Documents in our own Team's vault, so we feel that pain too. Hopefully we can make that better somehow.

Documents are still really young as a feature, and we'll be making them better over time. With 1Password 6.1 for Mac they're getting a big improvement : additional fields + notes. This means that there's a ton of cases where previously you would have needed another item + document to represent what you wanted, where now you can store all of that information in the Document itself.

Rick

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member

I can confirm the change of attachements as was noticed by @matiaskorhonen would totaly destroy our personal vaults. There are much more cases then certificates when the files are titly related to one item and their naming is meaningless wherever out of the item. It was exactly what has happened when I had migrated a software license with license attachments for an application itself and several files for extending number of users allowed to use it. Then I was very unhappy when thise files mixed among other items. It was a reason why I started this thread.
    I understand you choosed a new way how to handle documents for team, but it definitely must not be forced to personal vaults in 1Password.
    Perheps both system should coexist together so we could use advantages of both the new documents and akso the current attachments we are used to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I understand you choosed a new way how to handle documents for team, but it definitely must not be forced to personal vaults in 1Password.
    Perheps both system should coexist together so we could use advantages of both the new documents and akso the current attachments we are used to.

@oksoftware: Indeed, local 1Password vaults with attachments exist alongside Teams/Families vaults with documents in my own setup, and I don't think I'm alone in this. That's exactly how it works, so I'm not sure if you're just misunderstanding, or if there's something else you're referring to that just isn't clear to me from your description. Please let me know!

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, the problem was that I had no idea the attachments are handled by a totally new way in 1Password for Teams. I needed to add several files (in this particular case license files) to one of my item in a team's vault, so I moved the item to my personal vault, added the files using 1Password for Windows and then moved the item back to the 1Password for Teams. At that point I realized the names of files disappeared (in the detail view of the item) and little bit later I found the files mixed between other vault's items. I am OK with this although I feel it confusing, but when I read the comment from @matiaskorhonen, I realized that such handling of attachments (or better documents) could be very destructive if, once in the future, it would affect attachments in personal 1Password vaults too.
    I expressed those fears because it is always better to avoid such problems than to search for some solutions later when changes are irreversible.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

Hi, good evening. I am having problems this evening adding pdf's to one of my entries. Specially a passport and accompanying scanned pdf image. I see it perfectly on the mac app and it also appears in iOS, but when I tap the attachment in iOS it downloads and then gives me an error. I have tried various different attachments - pdfs, word docs, pages doc .. same thing happens with all of them. They show as being there but when I go to look at it I get an error. I have about 30 attachments that I brought over from the standalone 1P, so I know it works. Could it be a temporary error on your end? Thanks. Using most current versions of 1P Families on mac / iOS. Both devices running most current software too.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oksoftware,

Thanks for clarifying. We don't have any plans to bring Documents to vaults that aren't a part of Teams or Families, since there are some behind the scenes things that are dependent on the Teams architecture :)

@iamecho,

Well, this is odd behavior indeed! I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device (please enable the Sync and Replicator extra logging):

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@Aleen Before I send the report, I just wanted to make it clear I'm using 1P Families, not Teams. I don't think I made that clear in my post which is why I put it in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/285990#Comment_285990 which you also left a message for me in. Please let me know if you'd like me to proceed. Thank you.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iamecho,

Let's go ahead with the diagnostics report! Thanks for the clarification :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@Aleen Support ID is [#XDA-57256-268] Diag. Report sent. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@oksoftware: You're right. That is confusing. I'm sorry about that. Thanks for helping me understand. We need to make this clearer in the future. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iamecho: That does seem to be the case, so the diagnostics may provide the iOS team with some helpful information. Thanks again for your patience and willingness to work with us on this!

ref: XDA-57256-268

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member

@brenty: I cannot find how to link attachments to items (you refer to Details > Edit > Link Existing or Add New File).

Can you please confirm?

I am using the web UI and iPad app with Teams.

Thanks,
    Daniel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danielharvey: Sorry for the confusion! The instructions above are for 1Password for Mac. 1Password for iOS does not have this attachments feature, and similarly the 1Password for Teams web interface does not currently support linking items, though it's a feature we'd like to add in the future.

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for getting back to me. I am liking what I see with 1Password and Teams, but I do consider things like attachments (and thus the "linking" if that is how you are implementing associating/attaching files to entries) mandatory.

Any idea of when it might make it onto the roadmap?

Also, a questions of clarification:
    1. If a link is created on the Mac, how does it show on Windows/iOS/web?
    2. Does Windows support linking?

Thanks,
    Daniel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Thanks for getting back to me. I am liking what I see with 1Password and Teams, but I do consider things like attachments (and thus the "linking" if that is how you are implementing associating/attaching files to entries) mandatory. Any idea of when it might make it onto the roadmap?

@danielharvey: I'm not sure what you mean by "mandatory", but Documents (and item linking in general) are something that we plan to add to the other apps as well in the future. However, I don't have specific release information for you.

Also, a questions of clarification:
    1. If a link is created on the Mac, how does it show on Windows/iOS/web?
    2. Does Windows support linking?

Both 1Password for Mac and the web interface display these (in a nearly identical fashion) in the item details under "Related Items". The 1Password for Windows 10 beta app does not yet support Documents or linked items. I'm looking forward to those features as well. :)

• nzrunner
    nzrunner
    Community Member

So what about those of us that use the Windows platform? How do we evaluate these features in Teams, a product I am liking the look of, if we don't own a copy of 1Password for Mac?

• @nzrunner Teams is actually browser-based for the most part. Data is stored on the Teams servers, and we built a nice web interface to go with it. You can perform a lot of the same actions as in the native apps. There is, as brenty mentioned, a Windows 10 app for some things. As for linking specifically, it's only supported on Mac at the moment. We're working on a solution for other platforms. :)

• nzrunner
    nzrunner
    Community Member

@penderworth Thanks for the reply, but as has been noted numerous times on various 1Password forums, there are a large number of Windows users who are trying to get the same experience as Mac users and are just being fobbed off with this kind of excuse.

As a long time Windows user who is used to being able to having a similar user experiences whether I used the browser extension or the app, Teams is crippled by the fact that there is no browser extension for Windows, the app is limited and only available on Windows 10 and the website has significant limitations.

I would love to be able to test and provide feedback and bugs to enable the development process to progress more quickly, but as a Windows user, find myself unable to test basic, key functionality.

Conceptually, I think the product looks great, and I can see the long-term outcome, but I am frustrated by my inability to access the same features that Mac users are able too.

• @nzrunner I'm glad you like the concept of Teams. I really hope we have a better solution than the web interface for Teams users on pre-Windows 10 in the future, too. Right now, though, I'm sorry that we don't. 1Password started as a Mac app back in 2006, and it's grown into a cross-platform one that we're really excited about. It's true that some platforms are catching up, but our Windows team is working very hard to make sure the experience is on par with the Mac one. :) I really hope we can get it out to awesome folks like you soon. Be sure to keep in touch!

• nzrunner
    nzrunner
    Community Member

@penderworth Can I suggest a few things that might help reduce the frustration of the Windows user base, and possibly other platforms as well.

1. Be upfront and honest about the limitations. Perhaps in the welcome email, include the current key limitations (no Browser Extension, Windows app limited to Windows 10, can only do attachments on a Mac, etc). That may stop people investing time in the current BETA product if one of the limitations is a road block for them
    2. Give us some idea of a road-map for the product (apologies if I have missed this on the website)

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this feedback.

• @nzrunner Thank you so much for that feedback. I'm going to start a discussion about this internally so we can get some better info to folks like yourself. We really appreciate you posting some ideas on how to make things better.

• nzrunner
    nzrunner
    Community Member

@penderworth My business is based around business process change. It's how I think ;-)

• The intentionality is refreshing. :+1:

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member

@brenty, thanks for the response. By mandatory, I was trying to communicate a feature/requirement that is a show-stopper from my perspective. We use Keepass currently, but I am considering Teams because of the network sync capability (among other things). However, I will not proceed with Teams until the attachments feature is improved - not trying to be pushy, just wanting to communicate my decision making considerations.

Thanks!
    Daniel

This discussion has been closed.