Sync saga - not sure if onepass can continue to support my needs

ben_rupert
ben_rupert
Community Member

I'm trying to sync onepassword via dropbox between a mac, a pc running windows 10, two iphones, and two android phones. It is not working. I actually can't figure out how to get the Android phones at all. I have purchased the full version ($10) via Google Play, but still folder sync appears to be the only option. I can't figure out where the keychain is stored on my Android phone, and folder sync isn't doing anything. Can Onepassword support all this syncing, or will I need a new platform? I have the Windows + Mac Onepassword bundle

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:android/wifi, ug:android/settings-sync, kb:move-vault, kb-search:android vault location, kb:sync-options

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Hi @ben_rupert,

So sorry for the confusion here. 1Password can definitely meet your needs, with just a bit of adjustment.

It sounds like you may have an OPVault sync file in Dropbox, but Android does not yet have the ability to support OPVault syncing in Dropbox. Here's a great rundown of the current sync options available to 1Password for Android. If you'd prefer to continue syncing via Dropbox, option 3 in that list will help you switch to the Agile Keychain format which is supported by 1Password on all platforms.

You've posted this in the 1Password for Families forum but you didn't mention it in your post, so I'm curious: have you looked into our new Families service yet? It may be the best solution to your problem.

• ben_rupert
    ben_rupert
    Community Member

Thanks for following-up, Vee. I actually did figure out now to manually sync my android phone with Dropbox by simply pasting my updated Dropbox keychain in the appropriate folder on my phone, but it's definitely not automatic. I am just using the agile keychain format and have been a Onepassword user for some time, but just used the free platform for a limited number of log-ins on two devices.

Basically, I just needed to scale up a password/security management platform for my family, and I was hoping I could use Onepassword instead of converting over to something else entirely. I like the added security of the platform vs other fully online options. My main issue is, obviously, syncing. I had seen and checked-out the rundown of sync options you linked to above, and it seems to me that my biggest problem with Dropbox sync will be the lack of android syncing. Is that correct? I did check out the Families service, but I couldn't tell exactly why it was preferable or would be easier? I know membership also provides free storage, but I honestly have TONS of free storage via various professional and personal accounts. Maybe you can shed some more light on how Families could help?

Thanks again!
    -Ben

• ben_rupert
    ben_rupert
    Community Member

Also, I should note that I have purchased all Windows/Mac/IOS/Android OS Onepass licenses, and my wife and I now have multiple keychains we need to sync (professional, personal, shared), which is additionally complicating, but a nice option to have the multiple keychains. Would the Families service still support multiple keychains, and could we add it without having to re-create anything?

Thanks for your help!
    -Ben

• @ben_rupert 1Password for Families makes is very easy to support multiple vaults. Since it is built into existing apps, you can use Family account in parallel with the existing data and copy/move items between different vaults/keychains.

If you would like to give it a try, here is a document about copying existing data: https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/mac.html

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ben_rupert,

Just to expand a bit on Roustem's answer and to address your question here:

My main issue is, obviously, syncing. I had seen and checked-out the rundown of sync options you linked to above, and it seems to me that my biggest problem with Dropbox sync will be the lack of android syncing. Is that correct?

1Password for Android does have full support for Dropbox sync with the Agile Keychain format. If you're having trouble setting that up, please email us a Diagnostics Report with a link to this thread so we can look into what's going wrong and help you fix it.

If you're already using Agile Keychain sync format, the only limitation with Dropbox sync that I think might affect you is that our Android app does not currently support multiple Dropbox-synced vaults, so you could only have one. However, it does have support for multiple Teams and Families vaults, as Roustem mentioned above. On my Android phone, for example, I currently have one Dropbox-synced Primary vault, several Teams vaults, and two Families vaults.

Families simplifies sharing by including all your vaults in one account, rather than having a separate keychain for each vault that you have to configure to sync individually. You add your account to the client app once per device, and then every vault associated with that account automatically syncs, including any new vaults that may be added. It's also a monthly subscription which includes all the latest versions of 1Password on all available platforms. It's free to try, so feel free to take it for a spin to see what it's like and if it will work for you. Early adopters who sign up within the next few weeks will get the first 3 months free, and other perks.

We certainly hope you'll consider Families because we built it with families like yours in mind, but more importantly, we want you to use 1Password in whatever way you prefer; and however that may be, we're here to help you with it. Let us know if you have any further questions! :)

• phovey
    phovey
    Community Member

@ben_rupert I'm in a similar position, and found that AgileBits has a syncing problem when trying to use every platform. AgileKeychain is being phased out, Android doesn't support OpVault, and 1Password for Windows doesn't support teams/families yet. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it's currently impossible (wifi syncing aside, I consider that a manual sync) to automatically sync passwords between every platform until an update to either the Android app or the Windows app.

As another note, I've been using SugarSync to sync my 1password vault between devices (except Android, but SugarSync downloads the folder structure as-is so it should work on there when OpVault support is eventually added). Since OpVault is basically a folder, you could potentially have multiple vaults you switch between on your devices (work, home, shared). I remember reading other people have gotten Google drive to work for this purpose also. A downside to SugarSync that Google drive doesn't face is that a subscription to SugarSync runs at least $7.50/month (100GB storage), which is higher than the $5/month for 1Password families. Depends on your file sharing needs also, as the OpVault format is very compact and only uses a few MB of the 100GB you'd be paying for.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @phovey,

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it's currently impossible (wifi syncing aside, I consider that a manual sync) to automatically sync passwords between every platform until an update to either the Android app or the Windows app.

This is inaccurate, and I'm happy to correct you here. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Dropbox sync with Agile Keychain still works across all platforms.

OPVault is now the default sync format on Mac and iOS, which means that if you are setting up Dropbox sync for the first time for a vault, 1Password will automatically use the OPVault format to create the new sync file. But existing Agile Keychains are still supported, and you can revert back from OPVault to Agile Keychain if you'd like:

Switching back to Agile Keychain

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions about this and I'll be happy to clarify if necessary. :)

This discussion has been closed.