Chrome extension disabled - any way to recover the keychain?

Hi there. I've been using 1Password for a long time now (currently using version 3.9.21.90, according to Chrome). I use it solely through the Chrome app on my Mac, and as such I haven't opened the app itself or followed 1Password's update cycle at all over the years. Today, upon opening Chrome I was prompted with a message that Chrome has disabled 1Password as it didn't come from the Chrome Store. I then opened the app itself for the first time in probably 2 years, and it seems to have lost my data file.

Look, I realize you guys are on version 6 or something and I'm like years behind, and I also realize that I probably should have been updating my keychain file like a responsible adult, but I didn't really expect a sudden extension shutdown out of nowhere. Is there any way for me to find the keychain file that Chrome was pulling all those passwords from? When I search my computer, the last updated file I find is from 2014 or something - but I've added tons of passwords since then. I don't care if I have to buy a new version of your app or something for it to work with Chrome (although that'd be a bit of a bummer, because as of yesterday it was working fine for my needs), but I seriously don't want to have to reset every sensitive password I've saved over the last 3 or so years.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BobbyCappuccino
    BobbyCappuccino
    Community Member

To build on this, I opened the app and found in my preferences that the location of my data file is my Dropbox, but the file in my Dropbox says it hasn't been changed since 2014. And when I opened that keychain file with the app, it definitely does not contain any of the passwords I've been saving over the last two years to the Chrome extension.

So where did those get saved? And is there any way to access them?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobbyCappuccino: Email us a diagnostics report at support+forums@agilebits.com — don't do anything else!

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Now, I don't want to get your hopes up. From your description it sounds like you'd been using the old 1Password extension Chrome for quite some time without the 1Password app, so you don't have any of your data there. If anything has happened in Chrome in the mean time, it may be that your data does not exist there either. But we'll see what's possible.

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• BobbyCappuccino
    BobbyCappuccino
    Community Member

Hey, thanks for getting back to me @brenty! Your request to not do anything else might be too late though - I got a little cute last night and tried installing a newer version of 1Password (as well as 101 other things, like packaging the old Chrome extension up and trying to open it in Opera - among other things).

Regardless, I sent through the diagnostics report. Hoping that there's a slim chance you guys can sort out why exactly the Chrome extension was saving passwords all that time without updating them seemingly anywhere.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

@BobbyCappuccino: Regardless of whether you've installed the new app/extension, if you've still got the old extension installed there is hope! Whatever you do, don't delete it!

Now, I'm not seeing anything in our system under this address, so if you can post the Support ID you received here we can track it down right away and take a look at the diagnostics to see what can be done. Thanks in advance! :)

ref: IAZ-82252-743

This discussion has been closed.