1Password Mini Slow as Molasses to Open now

scoobydoo99
scoobydoo99
Community Member

Latest 1Password update(6.0.2) broke 1Password Mini (4.5.3) using El Capitan - it now takes literally FOREVER to open.

1. Enter password
  2. See "unlock" animation
  3. Go get a cup of coffee and read the paper
  4. 1Password Mini will open a few seconds after you get back

Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but literally 10 seconds to open after the unlock animation. Plus, it's a bit flaky after that for a few seconds, not accepting clicks, and displaying lists funky. It settles down after another 5 seconds.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• texastoby
    texastoby
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Yep, same here, except I go grill for a while and then come back ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scoobydoo99, @texastoby: While the prospect of grilling and reading the paper while drinking some coffee sounds really rather lovely, I'm sorry you're both running into this issue. The development team is investigating so we can find a solution to this problem. :(

• colbygka
    colbygka
    Community Member

+1, extremely slow across three different computers. One my primary work computer 1password has become unusable as it beachballs for ~1-2 minutes when first opening it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @colbygka,

I'm sorry you're also running into this problem! As Brenty mentioned, our developers are looking into this, but in the meantime, it might help to restart your Mac, or restart 1Password mini (from the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini).

Again, I apologize for the trouble. Please let us know if that helps, or if you need anything else. Thanks! :)

• rameshdharan
    rameshdharan
    Community Member

Just wanted to chime in here and note that I see the same thing, on both my work and home machines.

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member

I'm also experiencing the slowwwww response with 1P mini. Initially, it would not allow keyboard access to the master password field, and then it was very slow to accept input and a long delay to respond. This is on a 2012 MacbookPro that has been up 7 days. Using the 1P application "Help" to restart 1P mini helped a great deal. This is behavior I have not previously seen in the years I have been using 1Password mini.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member

Yup. Was just coming here to post about it and see I'm not the only one at the party. Horribly horribly slow, almost unusable on a routine basis.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Hi @rameshdharan, @dkg, and @dtoub,

I'm sorry you're all also running into this issue! I'm not sure if you've all seen some of the previous posts in this thread, but our developers are definitely working on this problem and hope to solve it as soon as they can.

@dkg, I'm happy to hear restarting 1Password mini helped! While waiting for a more permanent fix for this, restarting mini should speed things up if they slow down again.

@rameshdharan and @dtoub, have you tried restarting 1Password mini as I described in my last post? If so, did it help?

ref: OPM-3829

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@rameshdharan, @dtoub, @Drew_AG I had the same problem; restarting 1Password Mini solved it. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that did the trick. We'll continue to investigate what might be causing this in the first place.

• skiaddict
    skiaddict
    Community Member

Having same issues here. Restarted mini and it cleared it up.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, thanks for letting us know that helped! Our developers will hopefully be able to solve this soon, but in the meantime, if it happens again, restarting mini again should help. I apologize for the inconvenience!

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

I have the same problem. Note that this only seems to occur with 1Password Mini, not when opening the full program (which is a decent workaround if you only need to load a login). It also only happens, for me, when first opening 1Password Mini after a OS X login. Once I've gone through the long process of letting it load the first time, it will be its usual fast process thereafter.

This may just be me, but I found some log entries relating to errors with the dropbox sync, or so it seems.
    Here's a link to a short clip of it happening on my 2012 MBPr. The same problem happens on my 2014 Mac Pro.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @twilsonco,

Thanks so much for the detailed report! Some users earlier in the thread have reported that restarting 1Password mini has helped: Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini (in the main app). Have you tried this?

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

Thanks @Megan. In my case it's only slow to open the first time, and it would take longer to open the main program and restart 1Password Mini than the delay upon first launch. However, I have found that opens at its normal fast speed after using that option.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @twilsonco,

Thanks for clarifying! Our developers are looking into a proper solution for this problem, and I'll let them know that you would like to see one as soon as possible. :)

• kunday
    kunday
    Community Member

+1 Very slow since the latest update. Quitting it and restarting alleviates the issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the trouble! Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution for this soon. :blush:

• twoprops
    twoprops
    Community Member

Hi! One more data point: I'm seeing the same thing. Very long delays that start happening whenever I'm in a big hurry :). Restarting 1P Mini is a temporary fix: thanks for the tip. I'm also using Dropbox sync, if that's relevant. Peace... --2p

Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), 10.11.4, 1Password 6.2 (620011)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the info! We've been making some changes in the betas that have helped some folks, and we're still working on the problem to improve it further. Hopefully we can get this resolved for everyone, but in the mean time I'm glad that restarting the app helps. :)

• nfarina
    nfarina
    Community Member

Just FYI: This happens for me on my 11" Mid-2013 MacBook Air at work, but never on my new MacBook at home, which is fine.

• @nfarina We just released a beta that should fix most of the slowness. Could you give it a try?

Using 1Password betas

Let us know how things go. If you have any issues, please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac. This knowledge base article explains how: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• nfarina
    nfarina
    Community Member

Awesome, will give it a shot!

• Sounds good :)

• vicjang
    vicjang
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Just wanted to report that @Drew_AG's restarting 1Password Mini method worked like a charm.

Before restarting, 1PMini is taking up 1GB of memory, after restarting and using for an hour, it takes only 80MB.

(so maybe there's a memory leak somewhere?)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@vicjang,

Just to be clear, this should be resolved in the latest betas. Are you still seeing the problem when using the beta builds?

• vicjang
    vicjang
    Community Member

@khad I was not, thanks for informing me of this option. I'll install and report back (if I remember to :P)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

No worries, @vicjang. I just wanted to make sure you weren't still having the problem in a build where we thought we fixed it. ;)

• remokoch
    remokoch
    Community Member

Is the new version already released (2 months after the beta)? Still seeing this issue across multiple devices.

• Hi @remokoch ,

Yes, version 6.3.1 has been released and it should take care of the slow unlock issue. If you are still having that problem in 6.3.1, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.