New Identity edits never saved after creation

Options

Using Windows 10 64bit, 1Password 4.6.0.604

Go to the Identities section, New Item -> Identity
This opens the new identity form, but anything you fill into this form is discarded when you press OK.

To actually save anything you need to save this new, empty form, then edit the form, filling it afterwards.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @cat9232,

I've tried doing this several times with 1Password 4.6.0.604 on Windows 10 64-bit but it is saved consistently for me.

Does it happen all the time? Can you try creating a new ID item, fill it with fake data to see if it is saved? Also, what about other categories?

• cat9232
    cat9232
    Community Member
    Options

This was extremely reproducible, I was backing up my phone contacts, having just had problems with them, and every time I forgot to save the empty, default new identity, I got the problem.

The first time I saw the problem, I checked for a new version of 1Password, and got the update to 4.6.0.604, so I should have been one version earlier, just in case that matters.

Today there is no problem with a new secure note, or software license.

Now that's interesting, today this is working. So I don't know if I would have had the problem with other types of item or not. I have rebooted the system since yesterday, when I saw this problem. But I restarted 1Password yesterday, when I installed the new update, and that did not fix the problem.

I will just have to keep an eye on this. I did not take note of surrounding details, but I think the system had been running for a few days solid when I saw the problem, but that should not have caused a problem. Odd, I am just glad it is now working properly.

While thinking about the identity items, am I supposed to be able to set a birthday with no year? Whenever I try, no date information is saved. But I know various people where I know the day and month, but not the year, so why can I not store this information? I don't need the year after all.

• Hi @cat9232,

Now that's interesting, today this is working. So I don't know if I would have had the problem with other types of item or not. I have rebooted the system since yesterday, when I saw this problem. But I restarted 1Password yesterday, when I installed the new update, and that did not fix the problem.

Are you currently syncing your 1Password data? We've seen some issues recently where some files were blocked by the system and it wouldn't let us save changes. We made some adjustments that helped in the latest 604 update.

If you see this issue arises again, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

While thinking about the identity items, am I supposed to be able to set a birthday with no year?

No, it's considered as invalid and we don't save it, we are aware it is crappy to not provide the feedback in the UI saying it is invalid. We will try to redesign this in the future.

The issue is that date math is very fragile on all platforms, it must be strictly formatted or the date is returned differently on different platforms. We need the year to convert it to a different date format that allows us to be more consistent.

The Identity category is also used for filling on websites and many sites do ask for the year and wouldn't let you proceed without it.

If you need to save it without the year, try 1970 as the fallback for now and add a note saying the year is unknown.

• cat9232
    cat9232
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password database is stored in Dropbox under Windows, and synced via Dropbox on my Android devices. Windows Dropbox is reporting version 3.14.7.

Again no problems today, so it looks like all I can do is keep an eye on this for now and get back to you with more details if / when this happens again.

The birthday year makes sense, I just have to remember to set something when using this.

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @cat9232,

That's great to hear, please do keep us informed even if it is to say everything's still working fine in weeks from now.

This discussion has been closed.