Web site login box will not fill in 1PW info

HenryAZ
HenryAZ
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I have started to encounter web sites that will not fill in 1Password's login info that is stored in the 1PW vault. The one site in particular that exhibits this is B&H Photo (bhphotovideo.com). This is browsing on my desktop Mac, using Safari 9.0.3.

I never permit "Always Submit" on any of my Logins, as I've found over the years it just does not work on some sites, so I use the Mac keyboard shortcut of CMD-\ to fill in a login. It is quick and pretty much an automatic muscle memory thing for me, without even looking at the keyboard, and that works everywhere, except B&H and a couple of other sites I cannot recall offhand. I do use B&H quite a bit.

If you navigate to that site, click on "Hello, Log in....My Account", you will see the pop-up box I am referring to. CMD-\ will not fill in the login information inside that box. I suspect it is a special javascript "feature" that lets them pop up that box and fuzz out the background behind it. Here's a picture of it:

Is there some technique I can try, other than typing in my username and copy/pasting in my password? Or is this something new that 1PW is going to have to handle in future programming?

And, yes, I did try changing that login to "Always Submit", and it still will not fill in the login info into that box.

--
henry

1Password Version: 6.01 Agilebits store version
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Local folder

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HenryAZ,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting 1Password to fill your login credentials on some sites! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

I never permit "Always Submit" on any of my Logins, as I've found over the years it just does not work on some sites, so I use the Mac keyboard shortcut of CMD-\ to fill in a login.

[...]

And, yes, I did try changing that login to "Always Submit", and it still will not fill in the login info into that box.

Just to clear up some confusion here, the 'Always Submit' setting has nothing to do with 1Password's ability to fill your information in web forms. 'Filling' a form is the act of putting your username & password into the appropriate fields on the sign-in page. 'Submitting' a form is what happens when you click a button (like "OK" or "Submit" or "Log in") or press the Return/Enter key in order to complete the sign-in process and go to the next page.

If the auto-submit option is enabled, 1Password will try to automatically submit a login form that it has just filled. If auto-submit is disabled, 1Password will still try to fill your login credentials, but won't try to submit the form.

I just wanted to explain that in case it helps. :) Now, getting back to the problem:

...I use the Mac keyboard shortcut of CMD-\ to fill in a login. It is quick and pretty much an automatic muscle memory thing for me, without even looking at the keyboard, and that works everywhere, except B&H and a couple of other sites I cannot recall offhand.

I tried creating a test Login item for www.bhphotovideo.com and 1Password is able to fill that form when I use CMD-\ keyboard shortcut. Please follow these steps to save a new Login item for that site. Does the new Login item work correctly? If so, you can try doing the same thing for your other sites where 1Password isn't filling your information correctly.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. This did not work. I followed your instructions to the letter, and it still does not fill in when I use CMD-\, or when I go up to the helper and select it manually (it is already presented there, at the top, since it recognizes the site, so I just click on it). Same result either way.

Further information, this site is one of those where I stack multiple sites on the same username and password. I have several categories of sites that can share the username/password pair, based on what security is needed for that class of site. This feature of 1PW was one I long lobbied for, and I was glad when it was finally enabled, because it cleans up my vault considerably. I prefer not to have a separate login for each of these types of sites. On all my sites, also, I clean up the website URL to just the base domain name, and it always has worked. For example, on B&H, I would have http://bhphotovideo.com only, rather than also the "www", or even worse, a long string URL with other codes embedded into it.

Nevertheless, I did try this experiment out with B&H as its own newly saved login, just as you instructed, and it still will not fill. It just pops back to the main page.

Regarding Auto-Submit, my experience has been that with it off, nothing gets filled until I do it myself (CMD-\, or pick from the helper), then I hit Enter to submit. When Auto-Submit is enabled, it both fills and submits. Doesn't submitting require filling, anyway?

--
    henry

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@HenryAZ Could you let us know what version of 1Password you're using? We recently released an update with a change specifically for this site because 1Password was erroneously filling into the newsletter subscription field at the bottom of the page rather than the actual login form. Please make sure you're using the latest (6.1 was just released and it's pretty great) and give it another try and let us know how you get on.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member

Yes, of course I provided that information in my initial post, and it was 6.01, Agilebits store version. I just upgraded to 6.1, and you are correct, it does fix the login problem with that site. It doesn't even require a special individual profile, just the profile I have it stacked on with a dozen other sites worked fine.

--thanks for your help

--
    henry

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @HenryAZ! Glad the updated 1Password worked for you.

This discussion has been closed.