How can I change the order of categories shown in the Google Chrome extension for Mac?

Options

I love the Google Chrome extension and use it all the time, but I'm finding it very frustrating that my credit cards category isn't shown in the initial list. This means I have to click "Show 7 more categories" every time I want to pay online. I know this is just one extra click, but it is annoying. Currently the five categories listed are "Passwords", "Driver Licenses", "Software Licenses", "Wireless Routers" and "Logins". There seems to be rationale why these are the five categories shown as they aren't the most populated or my most frequently used, and they aren't even in alphabetical order. Even worse, I never need to access any of these from the browser except for "Passwords" and "Logins".

I did some Google searches and looked through the documentation but I couldn't find out how to control this. Is it possible for me to adjust this so that "Credit Cards" is in my first few items? Have I just missed how to do this, or do I need to submit a feature request?

Thanks!

• Andy

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:show more categories chrome

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Andy Armstrong. I've recently been noticing these kinds of things as well, and even with the source code I'm not sure I could understand the ordering. When I click the 1Password button in Safari, I see Logins, Secure Notes, Credit Cards, Identities, Passwords. I'm going to ask one of our Mac developer folks to take a look at this because it seems super weird. Could you post a screenshot of your results as well so we can have some visual confirmation of the inconsistency? Here's mine so we can compare:

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andy Armstrong Hah! Looks like I spoke too soon. The order of the categories is sorted according to your sidebar in the main 1Password application. You can't adjust the sort order for All Vaults, but if you choose your Primary vault, then you can reorder the categories to bring Credit Cards up closer to the top, above the Show More threshold. But, to my mind, if 1Password mini is serving a browser request, then we should sort Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities first, and then the other categories since these are the items that are fillable in 1Password. I've opened an issue to see about improving this.

ref: OPM-3855

• Andy Armstrong
    Andy Armstrong
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, @jxpx777! You've solved it for me! I have two vaults (my primary vault and then a shared family vault), and indeed it was the order inside the family vault that was causing me trouble. I don't believe we ever explicitly set that order, so maybe it was bad luck that we happened to create administrative items (passports etc) first before we ever had shared credit cards. When I moved "Credit Cards" up within the family vault then immediately the Chrome drop down started showing that category.

I agree with you that this is very subtle for users to understand, so it would be ideal if it was clearer how to change the default. It is strange to me that the order shown in the "All Vaults" option is not the same as in the Chrome drop down, as that was one of the first things I looked at. The fact that it wouldn't let me reorder the items too made me think that I was looking at it wrong. I didn't expect to have to switch to an individual vault to affect the order.

I think it would be great if the preferred order was consistent between the "All Vaults" view and the Chrome drop down. It would then make sense for me to be able to drag-and-drop to reorder those items from here and to have it then reflected everywhere. I also like your suggestion of boosting the categories that actually make sense in the browser, because those are the ones that people need direct access to. The others might occasionally be useful, but everyone needs "Credit Cards" to be shown if they have any stored. It shouldn't be that users have to do subtle ordering of category preferences to be able to use these features.

Thanks so much for the speedy response, and for resolving my issue!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to help, Andy! Let us know if you have any other questions or issues. You know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.