More info on Families vs. Teams vs. Mac/Win Bundle

Mr_Te
Mr_Te
Community Member

Afternoon. I currently have the Mac & Windows Bundle. I use it on my iMac, MacBook Pro & Windows laptop and My wife's Windows laptop. As I'm seeking to streamline the use of 1Password on my computers (and soon mobile devices), I seen the statements about 1Password for Families in the forum but did not see anything on the main site. I see the 1Password for Teams and guess it would work in a similar fashion. A few questions to start:

1) Is there a fee and/or subscription for Families like Teams?

2) With Families/Teams, would my 1Pass data be stored on my local machine, your servers or on my own server?

3) Is there a version that I could use that I could sync all my devices via my Windows Home Server or do I have to resolve to use iCloud, Dropbox, etc.?

4) And what would be the best way to sync across all my devices - I have an idea but want to make sure: an iMac, a MacBook Pro, a Win10 laptop, a Win8 laptop (soon to go to Win10), an iPad 2, an iPhone 5, a Galaxy Note 4 and future Note 5 and Galaxy Note Tab.

I have v5 on my Macs but v4 on my PCs. Currently, I'm not syncing all devices (all stand alone) but desiring to move in that direction - to have the same vault synced across all devices. Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016

Hi, @Mr_Te, and welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry you missed the information on 1Password Families. Here's the website: https://family.1password.com/

1. It's on the site I linked above, but yes, 1Password Families will be a monthly subscription of $5 for up to 5 members. This price is very aggressively reduced from the $5 per person monthly cost of 1Password for Teams. Plus, there's a Special Launch Special that we announced on our blog if you sign up before March 21!
    2. Family and team accounts use our servers to store data, though the native apps keep their own local copy of the data as well. You can read more in our FAQ.
    3. If you're not using a family account, the only cross-platform sync solution we support is Dropbox. If you're only using Windows and/or Mac, you could probably sync your data using Folder Sync, but it sounds like you have more than just desktop devices. If you're using a family account, you don't have to worry about sync at all. Just sign into your family account on each of your devices and all your vaults and data will be automatically downloaded.
    4. The best way to keep all your devices in sync is to use a family account. :) 1Password for Families and Teams is currently supported in our native apps for Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows 10. Windows 7+ support is on the way, and our Windows 10 app is in beta, but both are progressing well, and you can definitely use the Windows 10 app today.

I would really encourage you to try out the family account and see if it's right for you. It's free for 30 days, and all the client apps are included with the subscription at no extra charge, so you don't have to worry about purchasing upgrades for the various platforms. If you decide the family account is not right for you right now, you can set up Dropbox sync across all those devices in the standalone apps, and we can help you get that going if you have further questions.

Hope that helps!

• virtualmarc
    virtualmarc
    Community Member

Hallo,

Are there any other differences in functionality between teams and families?
    I see "1gb of secure document storage" on families, how much is this for teams?
    Any way to see how much of the secure document storage space is used?

Thanks for your response in advance

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@virtualmarc: 1Password for Families is (typically) ~5 users. 1Password for Teams scales much higher, and the storage will likely scale with it as well, according to Team size. But nothing has been finalized yet — including the pricing — since it's still in beta. This will definitely be something we announce along with the pricing once it's ready though. :)

• virtualmarc
    virtualmarc
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for the answer. Depending on the functionality, storage space and price I'll decide wheter family is enough for me or not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely! But I'm personally not too worried about the storage space, since my ancient, bloated vault is still under 100MB with attachments. It's good to have room to grow though. :)

• FunctionF
    FunctionF
    Community Member

Is there a way to Switch back to Teams after accidentally switching to Family?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FunctionF: We just pushed the "Switch to Families" feature earlier today, so I'm not sure that there's a process in place yet to allow migration to 1Password for Teams...but shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll see what we can do to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.