Master Password

Options
ahlain
ahlain
Community Member

I have a question, why is it the only way to unlock my own account I have to enter the master password, which then let's me unlock everyone else's vaults on the computer? Why can't I just unlock my own without having to put the master password for primary? Please advise.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ahlain,

1Password is intended as a single user application. Now OS X has excellent multi-user support and each OS X profile can have its own 1Password setup with that user's vaults so it isn't to say multiple people can't make use of 1Password on a single Mac but we do assume use of the separate OS X user accounts. The idea behind secondary vaults wasn't to ever allow separate individuals to share a single OS X user account but they were originally intended to allow people to share vaults with others. Now one way to share would be for users on different machines but that doesn't have to be the case, it could easily be separate users on a single Mac too. We work a bit like iCloud or Dropbox in that respect, both only allow you to access a single account but separate OS X user accounts can each be logged in to their own accounts. Now the word account doesn't really translate well when it comes to 1Password but it's a similar concept in that we're assuming a single user who has their primary vault and then secondary vaults that they want to access.

1Password 5 did have the ability to unlock just a secondary vault but we found a way that could be a possible risk at some point in the future so the feature as it was had to be removed for people's security. It wasn't an easy decision but it had to be made. We're considering what we might be able to do to bring this back but whatever happens it has to be rock solid when it comes to security - I hope you understand why that has to be the top priority.

It does mean for now though that only the Master Password for the primary vault will unlock 1Password but if individuals have separate OS X user accounts they can each have 1Password set up with their own vaults and set up as they wish. I don't know if that's a viable option for you or not?

This discussion has been closed.