My Preferences won't update properly

aront54
aront54
Community Member

I recently noticed that my passwords weren't syncing on one of my computers. My first idea was to delete 1Password and all the preference files (including the container in the Library->Container directory) and reinstall latest version from the app store. Did that still didn't work but then I came online and read about the new requirement to turn on iCloud Drive. Once I did that everything worked fine EXCEPT:

even though it walked me through the new install questions my choices aren't being saved. When I look in the Library directory there was a new com.agilebits... container but there is not a new com.agilebits.. preferences file in the Library->Preferences directory. The interesting thing is that in the container there is a LINK to the preferences file but when I do "show original" it says the link is broken. All the other links to Preference files work.

In sum for some strange reason the preference file isn't being created when I re-install the software and so changes to preference (most important to me being "enable 1Password mini)" aren't being saved.

Help!!!!!

1Password Version: 6.01
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @aront54 ,

First, I'm glad you didn't delete your entire container file. Remember that your 1Password data is stored there. It's only the preferences we're concerned over.

That link it what concerns me. That may be the issue. What is the name of the link file that is broken?

With that, we should be able to solve this quickly.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• aront54
    aront54
    Community Member

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the response.Actually I am pretty sure I did delete the whole container. But as I noted I use 1Password on multiple devices with iCloud sync so my passwords and right back.

Here's the link:
    com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.LSSharedFileList.plist

I checked in the preference directory and that file doesn't exist. It does on another mac where 1Password works.

Should l copy that file from the other computer over to this preferences directory, create an alias and then move that alias over to the container?

• Hi @aront54 ,

It is safe to delete that file. I would also like you to try this:

1. In 1Password, hold down control and select Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    2. Open the Terminal application (in Utilities) and enter the command defaults delete com.agilebits.onepassword-osx and press return.
    3. Relaunch 1Password.

That is the best way to reset preferences. After that try it out and please let us know how it works out.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• aront54
    aront54
    Community Member

Hi Kevin

So I tried above and got the following message:

Domain (com.agilebits.onepassword-osx ) not found.
    Defaults have not been changed

Relaunched 1Password - same problem :(

• @aront54 Actually, step two in Kevin's instructions depend on which version of the app you're using. If you have the AgileBits Store version, then use defaults delete com.agilebits.onepassword4 instead. Follow his instructions, though, making sure you quit 1Password and 1Password mini before running this command. Let us know how that goes! :)

• aront54
    aront54
    Community Member

Hey @penderworth. So I finally had time to try what you suggested. Got same message as before BUT...now everything is working as advertised. Maybe there was an interim version upgrade that fixed the problem. Who knows. But I'm happy. Thanks for your help.

• Hi,

Glad to hear it is working. If you experience this problem in the future, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.