Dropbox key data missing unable to load

Options
gayemacy
gayemacy
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Mac

Still have not been successful at sharing 1Password vault with husband. It is in his Dropbox and I can see it from his iPad, but when I try to open it to show him how it works, I get problem message and can't fix it.

Comments

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gayemacy: Sorry of the confusion! 1Password.html is really old, and doesn't work in many cases due to browser restrictions.

A better option to share a vault with your husband is to let him use the app! After all, you and 5 family members are entitled to use 1Password on all of your Macs! Just have him install the app on his Mac as well and setup Dropbox, and then he can simply use the vault in 1Password just like you do.

If you purchased from the AgileBits Store, he'll just need the license to register it; and if you purchased from the Mac App Store, you can use Family Sharing to give him access to it.

You may also want to check out 1Password for Families, since it makes sharing and managing 1Password with your loved ones even easier...and it also has a great web interface you can use to access 1Password from the browser (which works much better than 1PasswordAnywhere ever did). Cheers! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Remember going over all of this in many emails? Now I'm hearing, "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that right now."
    Why did we spend so much time on this (and why did I spend all these hours convincing my technophobe husband to try it) and then fall on my face?
    It won't work when we travel. It won't work from another room on his iPad.
    Will Family work when we travel?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

I do remember helping you to share a vault with your husband in other forum threads, and it sounds like there's still a bit of confusion over how that works - but I think I know what's causing the confusion and I'm sure I can help to clear it up! :)

In the following forum discussions, we helped you set up a secondary vault in 1Password on your Mac, sync it with Dropbox, and use Dropbox folder sharing to share that vault with your husband Eric:

On Eric's Mac, if he has 1Password installed and set up, and if the 1Password.agilekeychain file you shared with him appears in his Dropbox folder, he should be able to simply double-click that file to add it as a secondary vault to 1Password on his Mac. Those steps are described in the "Access a shared vault" section of this knowledgebase article: Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers? (Mac)

Now, that's the way it should work on a Mac, and the above link is specifically for setting up a shared vault in the Mac version of 1Password (which is why I added "(Mac)" to the end of that link). However, in the original, full/un-cropped screenshot from your first post above, I see that you're trying to open the 1Password.agilekeychain file from the Dropbox app on an iPad. That won't work, which is what Brenty explained above.

iPads (along with iPhones and iPods) run an operating system called iOS, which works very differently from the operating system on a Mac. Because of that, the steps to add a shared vault to 1Password for Mac are different than the steps to add a shared vault to 1Password for iOS. We explain how to add a shared vault to 1Password for iOS here: Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers? (iOS)

That link includes the steps to add a shared vault in the iOS version of 1Password. It starts off with the steps to share a vault from your Mac, which you've already done. Therefore, the steps you (or Eric) need to follow are those in the "Add a new vault" section of that page. In short, that shared vault needs to be added from within the 1Password app on the iPad.

Will Family work when we travel?

Yes, 1Password for Families will work when traveling. But so will sharing a vault via Dropbox - the problem you ran into was just that you needed to follow some different steps on the iPad.

Sorry for all the confusion! I hope this helps to clear it all up, but as always, let us know how it all goes and if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Just pretend I'm your mom and thanks for your patience. I am the designated IT person in our household of two. That includes refreshing the computers, restarting the Apple TV, and trying to keep the wireless printer connected wirelessly. We also text, and Eric Tweets for work. 1Password has been a steep learning curve.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just pretend I'm your mom and thanks for your patience.

@gayemacy: Hey, any time! You're very welcome. :chuffed:

I am the designated IT person in our household of two. That includes refreshing the computers, restarting the Apple TV, and trying to keep the wireless printer connected wirelessly. We also text, and Eric Tweets for work. 1Password has been a steep learning curve.

That doesn't sound like my mom at all! Don't even get me started on printers! :lol:

I'm sorry if it feels like it's been an uphill climb (in the snow, both ways) getting acquainted with 1Password. Frankly, I think that it may be more difficult in your case because you seem interested in understanding how everything works, not just what buttons to press. I think that's great! I'm the same way, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bit of a liability sometimes. Some people are much faster learners than I am, perhaps because they just need to know what to do. I think there's something to be said for both approaches, but I am who I am. ;)

Just from my interactions with you here on the forums (always a pleasure, by the way!) I think you've come a long way in a short time. It's never easy starting from zero with something new! Be sure to let us know any other questions you might have about how to do this or that and we'll be happy to help get you where you want to be with 1Password. :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options
  • gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I love learning new stuff. It's fun to dig down through the layers of drop-down menus and the libraries to see where they go. I impress my husband with magic tricks - like being able to change the choices on our Apple TV main screen. Or unplug the power source to clear static buildup and make it run smoothly again.
    But he keeps having to ask me to log him in to sites that are now 1Password protected, and until I can get it to work on his iPad (and computer), I need to staff up my Help Desk!
    Love, Mom
    PS I turned 60 on Feb 21. Please wear birthday hat and blow out candle for me! (Why won't my party hat/birthday cake/clapping hands/champagne bottle/exclamation heart paste here? What's wrong with you guys? You're so limited! ) :p

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Xx

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy belated Birthday, "mom"! (aka @gayemacy) I don't think I have an official birthday hat, but I'm sure I can find some sort of silly hat to put on for the occasion. :lol: 60 is a big one, I hope you did something fun! Or at least something a bit more fun than working on vault sharing. ;)

Like you and Brenty, I also enjoy learning new things and getting to know the fun tricks. That's made me the designated IT person in my household too! I'm sure you'll be a wizard with 1Password before you know it, and as you already know, we're always happy to help you out with that. :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it does seem I might have missed the last wave and have to start fresh. From what Brenty said in his February 28 comment, the version of agilebits I used for Eric's Dropbox already is obsolete, and you're on to Family version. This is concerning. He says, "Sorry of the confusion! 1Password.html is really old, and doesn't work in many cases due to browser restrictions."...
    Check out his comment about the post- license, registration, and Family Sharing versus 1Password for Families. I have to start over it sounds like.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

Actually, you should be fine! Essentially, Brenty misunderstood your first post in this discussion (February 27), partly because he didn't realize it was related to something we had helped you with in previous discussions. Also, in your screenshot from February 27, it looked like you were trying to use an old feature we called 1PasswordAnywhere, which depended on a file named 1Password.html. The old 1PasswordAnywhere feature is being phased out, and Brenty correctly pointed out that the 1Password.html file doesn't work correctly in many cases.

However, it turned out you weren't trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere at all, so although the information in Brenty's first reply (from February 28) was correct, it didn't apply to your situation. It was just a confusing misunderstanding! :dizzy: I was a bit confused at first too, but once I realized what was going on (and after I went back to re-read your previous forum discussions about sharing a vault), I tried to straighten it all out in my message from February 29.

So, just to summarize: You don't need to worry about 1PasswordAnywhere or the 1Password.html file, as they have nothing to do with sharing your vault via Dropbox. You don't need to start over, and you don't need to sign up for a Families account. The latest version of 1Password for Mac is version 6 (which is a free upgrade from version 5), so as long as you're using 1Password 6, nothing is obsolete.

I've probably said this to you quite a few times by now, but I'm really sorry for all the confusion! Hopefully this helps to get things back on track - but please let us know if you still need help adding your shared vault to Eric's iPad. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.