1Password won't recognize a login page...

Options

Frequently I visit a site and 1Password does not recognize (or doesn't act on it) a login page. I press "Crtl-|" but only generic menu list pops up - I see no way to force the mgr to capture my login info. This occurs on about 25% of all sites visited, so is a bit frustrating, as I have to manually remember all these sites. Any clue on how to force 1P to capture these sites? I have tried manually creating a Login entry, but there are so many variables (and I don't know what they all mean) that this has not been successful (i.e. after entering what I think are all the correct parameters, it does not work when attempting to login using 1P on the actual site.)

Thanks,
Ed

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: IE, so no sep ext
OS Version: Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Sync Type: cloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password won't recognize a login page...

Comments

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note, after posting this question I remembered a previous question on similar subject last year, sorry if I repeat.. I went through my notes and discovered that 1P apparently does not work well with IE. I tried some of the sites using Chrome, and it works better (though not 100% of them). The issue I have is the lack of granular security control on browsers other than IE - and some of my consulting clients will only allow connections using IE. From what I've read, both Firefox and Chrome are considered more or less "wide open" in terms of security, allowing redirects, java or other code to run, etc. If you have a different opinion please enlighten me...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I went through my notes and discovered that 1P apparently does not work well with IE. I tried some of the sites using Chrome, and it works better (though not 100% of them).

Unfortunately some of Internet Explorer's security controls can interfere with 1Password's normal functioning. After all, the add-on needs to be able to both operate in the browser and also communicate with the main 1Password app via the Helper.

The issue I have is the lack of granular security control on browsers other than IE - and some of my consulting clients will only allow connections using IE.

I think you're right that IE is appealing to companies since, being built into Windows, Microsoft offered a lot of configurability there — also, because it's only changed slowly over the years, and won't change at all going forward. Unfortunately IE lags behind Firefox and Chrome significantly when it comes to web standards, and Microsoft is no longer actively developing it (in favour of Edge, which I rather like, but it doesn't have all the features that IE did).

From what I've read, both Firefox and Chrome are considered more or less "wide open" in terms of security, allowing redirects, java or other code to run, etc.

If Java isn't installed (and seriously, it's a huge security liability) at all, that won't be a concern. And you can also disable it in the browser. There's really no reason for Java code to be running in the browser, even if you need to run Java apps on your system, as that makes it possible for any website to do the same.

Chrome is less configurable, but is very secure (and being patched much more frequently than IE); whereas Firefox offers a lot of security controls itself, and remains a great alternative.

Obviously if you need IE for certain sites, there's not much you can do about that. But keep in mind that a website that requires IE is likely using ActiveX (also a security concern) or other custom things that are just more likely to not work with 1Password. IE also has a much more limited add-on/extension support, so there are things 1Password just can't do there (e.g. interacting with frames). So there are a lot of issues facing IE in general, and while Microsoft will continue to provide security updates for it, it's essentially dead and won't be getting any other attention.

Frequently I visit a site and 1Password does not recognize (or doesn't act on it) a login page. I press "Crtl-|" but only generic menu list pops up - I see no way to force the mgr to capture my login info.

I'm not quote sure what "menu list" you're referring to. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

If you can tell us the URLs in particular you're having trouble with we'll be happy to test them and try to offer a solution, workaround, and improvements in the future!

In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form (even better using the 1Password browser extension on the computer, if that is an option for you). Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosumbit disabled

And keep in mind that 1Password will not offer you a login for filling later on unless its URL matches the website you're at, since you wouldn't want to accidentally enter your login credentials into a phishing site.

If you're still having trouble, be sure to let us know the exact steps you're taking (along with the URL), and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your detailed reply. I will study this and try your suggestions. Back to you soon.

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome. Let us know how it turns out for you.

This discussion has been closed.