Community Member

Between my wife and myself we have:
Mac OSX El Capitan on Macbook Pro
Linux Ubuntu on laptop
Windows 10 on desktop
Windows 10 on laptop
One iPad
two iPhones

Would the Windows / Mac bundle license cover all these devices?

Thank you for your help :-)

robin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:sales-faq

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @robinharris,

I think what would work best for your situation is 1 Password for Families. 1 Password for families is subscription based, and for $5 a month you and 4 other family members can use the latest version of 1 Password in all your devices for free! You won't need to worry about licences or payed updates. You'll also be able to easily share the information that you want. There isn't a native app for Linux, however if you get 1Password for Families you can use the web app to access and edit your data from Linux in your browser! Here you can read more about Families and sign in if you like it: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/

I hope this information helps you! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robinharris: Just to expand on Pilar's answer and your original question, a 1Password for Mac + Windows bundle would entitle you to use 1Password on all of your Macs and (Windows) PCs, but this would not allow you to access the web interface (useful on Linux, though WINE is a possibility), and the Pro Features 1Password for iOS are a separate in-app purchase for each Apple ID in the "traditional license" scenario.

So for those reasons I think 1Password for Families will be a better option, with a few caveats:

• No native Linux app
    • The 1Password for Windows 10 beta will work on any Windows 10 device, but is most at home on a tablet, phone, or convertible
    • The 1Password for Windows desktop app with 1Password for Families support is not yet available
    • The 1Password for Families web interface is a useful alternative, but isn't as full-featured as the apps

However, as an early adopter, you'll also get 3 months free, and double the storage and 2 additional member slots forever. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

• robinharris
    robinharris
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar and Brenty,

Thank you both for very helpful information. I am now a bit puzzled because I haven't seen 1Password in action so much of your description is not that obvious to me what it means. I work with a bunch of techies at a digital innovation hub and they strongly recommended 1Password - I'm sold! It is really a question of getting the license that covers the majority of my needs. I like the idea of being an early adopter of the Families version (3 months free is nice!) but since I consider myself 'software literate' I would be pleased to provide constructive feedback and work with you guys in return for a bit of extra advice and help setting up various devices :-).

As a next step would it make sense if I downloaded the software and started exploring the features - it seems to me that would be the best way to fully appreciate how it works and the limitations of especially the Linux work-around and also Windows 10.

My biggest requirement is to manage passwords for a long list of web applications - same for my wife. So if we can do that using Chrome and Safari on OSX and Windows 10 (desktop with Chrome) we will be very happy.

Please could you confirm that it is ok to download 1Password and start using it then in a week or two go ahead with either Families license or a Mac / Windows bundle? Is the software identical in both scenarios?

Thanks again guys,

Robin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you both for very helpful information. I am now a bit puzzled because I haven't seen 1Password in action so much of your description is not that obvious to me what it means.

@robinharris: Sorry for confusing you! You make a good point: the answer may not make much sense sight-unseen. :blush:

I work with a bunch of techies at a digital innovation hub and they strongly recommended 1Password - I'm sold! It is really a question of getting the license that covers the majority of my needs. I like the idea of being an early adopter of the Families version (3 months free is nice!) but since I consider myself 'software literate' I would be pleased to provide constructive feedback and work with you guys in return for a bit of extra advice and help setting up various devices :-).

Advice is always free, and we're always here to help...so you've come to the right place! :chuffed:

As a next step would it make sense if I downloaded the software and started exploring the features - it seems to me that would be the best way to fully appreciate how it works and the limitations of especially the Linux work-around and also Windows 10.
    My biggest requirement is to manage passwords for a long list of web applications - same for my wife. So if we can do that using Chrome and Safari on OSX and Windows 10 (desktop with Chrome) we will be very happy.

You can! Honestly, the more I think about it and read your description, I think you might really enjoy the 1Password for Families web interface. You can use visually any browser to manage, share, and access your vaults. And it sounds like you're right at home in a web browser! Eventually (especially once the Windows desktop app is updated) I'm sure you'll appreciate having a native app, but since you're just getting started that might be a good way to ease yourself in.

Please could you confirm that it is ok to download 1Password and start using it then in a week or two go ahead with either Families license or a Mac / Windows bundle? Is the software identical in both scenarios?

Yes! That's definitely what I'd recommend — and what I'd do myself. Regardless of which path you finally choose, you have a free trial with 1Password on any platform. With the standalone apps, you have at least 30 days; and with 1Password for Families, you have the early adopter special to use it for free as well.

You're right that this is not obvious, and I'm sorry for not being clearer! I should clarify that — with the exception of 1Password for Windows desktop, which does not yet support 1Password for Families — the apps you use will be the same whether you purchase a license for the standalone app(s) or use 1Password for Families. And 1Password for Mac and iOS (and Android) fully support both local vaults (which you can also choose to sync using Dropbox) and 1Password for Families (the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app currently supports both types as well, but only Families/Teams vaults can be edited currently).

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion and answer your excellent questions, but be sure to let me know if you have any others — especially as you're getting started with 1Password. :)

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

Between 1Password for Families which covers up to 5 people, and a Single license, I'd like to suggest that you guys come up with 1Password for Couple with a lower monthly subscription fees and still offers benefit like the one available for Families.

p/s: $5 might be small for you guys in the USA, but it's quite a sum for people like me who work and live in South East Asia.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shark_coffee,

Thanks for your input! I've passed it on :) I also replied to another thread where you contributed to a similar discussion.

• robinharris
    robinharris
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys

I think I signed up for Families and set myself up by downloading the Mac app plus the Safari extensions. It looks like that is working ok so far. However I am now thoroughly lost in the Families set up. I downloaded the Windows App and tried to set that up but it only gives me three options - none of them includes Families. I don't want another stand-alone vault on my Windows machine.

I now can't even remember if I have been onto a Families admin page or how I got there.

Frankly, I am really really confused by the different apps and browser extensions then the Families (sometimes seems to be called Teams) layered on top. At this stage I am about ready to give up.......I've spent hours trying to figure this out, reading manuals and blogs but nothing so far seems to relate to where I am stuck (pretty much at the first step).

I am supposed to be good at this kind of stuff since it forms part of my work so I don't think this is me being dim - is it???

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robinharris,

I am so sorry for the confusion! Thanks for writing in so we can help clear that up :)

I downloaded the Windows App and tried to set that up...

Currently, 1Password Families is available in the 1Password for Windows 10 beta, which you can get from the Windows Store. 1Password Families support is coming for earlier versions of Windows, but we don't have an estimated release date for that yet. It wasn't viable to update 1Password 4 for Windows to add in Families support, so we're building a new app from the ground up.

I now can't even remember if I have been onto a Families admin page or how I got there.

To get to your admin page, log in to your 1Password account (yourdomain.1Password.com) in your favorite web browser, then click on your account name in the upper right and go to Admin Console.

I am really really confused by the different apps and browser extensions...

1Password Families and Teams accounts work with the current versions of our apps and extensions on Android, iOS, and Mac. 1Password accounts can also be added to our app for Windows 10 (in beta). Support for earlier versions of Windows is a work in progress.

I know that's repeating some of what I said above, but I wanted to make sure it was all in one place for easy reference :)

...then the Families (sometimes seems to be called Teams) layered on top.

Sorry about that! We were really anxious to make Families available to everyone. 1Password Families is built upon 1Password for Teams, so the branding didn't get changed everywhere. We're working on updating it!

We want to get documentation out as soon as possible, but things are still evolving a bit (1Password for Teams is still in the beta testing phase).

I hope this helps clear things up! If it doesn't or you have more questions now, please don't hesitate to let us know.

• robinharris
    robinharris
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys - me again. I've spent another couple of hours trying to follow the instructions but have made zero progress. First I uninstalled whatever version of 1Password for Windows that I had. Then I downloaded the Beta from your site (the Windows Store does nothing in measurable time). I have 4.6.0.602 installed. When I open it it gives me three choices - create a new vault, use an existing vault or restore a backup. I don't want to do any of these - I want to access the Families personal vault that I created on my Mac. So what should I do now?????

I still can't access the Admin Console because I don't have a clue what "yourdomain.1Password.com" means. What is "yourdomain" in this context?

Thanks for explaining that Teams and Families might be used inter-changeably - that helps a little.

Honestly, I am finding it very difficult to understand the terminology (remember I have never used 1Password before). It probably seems super-simple to you but you know the way the products fit together and what you call them all. I thought I was going to get a cross-platform password manager that made my life simpler but so far I am getting lost in the terminology and documentation, frustrated with making no progress and deeply disappointed. My colleagues have encouraged me to use 1Password because of great features but maybe they are using it on one platform only.

I really want to make this work but I can't afford to spend much more time trying different bits of software - each one takes time and gets me more confused and frsutrated. Is there not some kind of step by step guide to get started with Families that DOES NOT assume you are already familiar with the one platform product? I'm just not all clear on what the sequence of steps should be. I started ok with the OSX version and think I registered for Families (but now I am not sure what I did). There is nothing on my Mac version that gives me a clue as to whether I am using Families or just the stand-alone Mac version.

***************HELP PLEASE ***********

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robinharris,

Sorry I didn't help clear things up for you, but thanks for giving me another shot :)

Just so I know that we're on the same page, will you let me know what version of Windows you're using? I'll wait to address your questions about 1Password for Windows until I know--I don't want to confuse things further by giving you the wrong information!

What is "yourdomain" in this context?

I was trying to illustrate the address you use to access 1Password Families from your web browser; I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. The address is different for each family, so yourdomain.1password.com might be ourfamily.1password.com or robinharris.1password.com or even something like iloveblue.1password.com. You should have specified that address when you set up 1Password Families.

Is there not some kind of step by step guide to get started with Families that DOES NOT assume you are already familiar with the one platform product?

I'm sorry, we don't have Families documentation yet :( We're working on it, and we do have platform-specific guides at support.1password.com/guides, which might help. I'm also happy to help you with terminology if'd you'd help me get an idea of what's difficult to understand. We're trying to use less jargon and make things easier for everyone to understand, but that can be hard for us because we're so close to it.

There is nothing on my Mac version that gives me a clue as to whether I am using Families or just the stand-alone Mac version.

You can check to see if you have 1Password Families set up in the Mac app:

1. Launch 1Password.
    2. Enter your Master Password.
    3. Go to 1Password > Preferences.
    4. Click Teams in the upper row of icons.

Is there anything listed on the left side of the window? If it's blank, you don't have Families set up. If there's something listed, you do!

Thanks again for your patience and giving me another chance to help you out!

• robinharris
    robinharris
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Aleen, Thank you for your patience! Some progress - I now understand how to log into my Families account. Yes, I did set it up when I first registered but hadn't realised how the login worked so hadn't memorised the domain name. On my Mac 1Password seems to be working as I would expect. I've also tried my iPhone and so far that looks good.

The problem is Windows. I am using Windows 10. First I went to your website, enabled betas and downloaded the Windows app. I think that is 4.0.6.604 (it is definitely 4 and the last digits are 604 - the machine is at home and I am at work). That installed ok but when I run it the only three options are to create a new vault, use and existing one or restore a backup. I want to synchronise with my Families vault so can't progress with that.

I tried the Windows store many times and it just stops saying installing. Eventually - but rather unconvincingly - it seemed to finish. There is no desktop icon and the only way I can find it is to go to the Windows Store where it tells me it is installed and I can then select run. There is no other shortcut so it takes a quite a few steps to get the beta running. The appearance is totally different to the version (which I also believe is a beta for Windows 10) downloaded from your web site. The Windows Store version looks like a browser app and not a native app. Is this is the case i.e. that the Windows 10 beta app is going to look quite different to the native Mac and iOS app?

Next when I tried to enter a new browser login the browser version reports "Helper Not Running" and I can get no further. My current problem is with Windows 10 - although I have 1Password (unknown version) running in a browser interface it isn't working!!!!

I can understand how you have got to the point of having a beta for testing but so far my feedback would be as follows. Please don't take this as criticism - it is an attempt to provide constructive feedback that might be of use.

1. The Families product feels like several related but different products that are not joined robustly. For a security product this is quite unsettling. I would like the same UI on all my devices so I am confident I can access the information I need at any time.
    2. Version naming is very confusing. It is not at all clear which version work together and on which platforms. It is simply too complicated to expect users to figure it out.
    3. There is a major need for some stepwise instructions on how to set up Families - starting with set up on one device and the setting up on other platforms and devices. I still am not sure where in the process I am and what I should be doing next. It feels like poking around in the dark hoping for something or someone to turn on the light.

Is it possible to achieve my goal with 1Password for Families - I need a minimum of OSX, iOS and Windows 10 for two people with a consistent user interface. It really doesn't feel like the product is mature enough yet for this - but I hope you can show me that I am wrong?

Thanks again

Robin

• robinharris
    robinharris
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, this has made me even more confused. Are there three products on Windows 10???? Win10 app, 1Browser and another web browser extension (I use Chrome). Hardly surprising I am confused if there are three bits of software for Windows 10 which all provide some bits of functionality, don't all work together and look different. Can this really be true or am I just dumb?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Sorry, this has made me even more confused. Are there three products on Windows 10???? Win10 app, 1Browser and another web browser extension (I use Chrome). Hardly surprising I am confused if there are three bits of software for Windows 10 which all provide some bits of functionality, don't all work together and look different. Can this really be true or am I just dumb?

@robinharris: Sorry about that! In defense of both dahanbn and Aleen, the situation on Windows is rather confusing in general. (Those who remember "Metro" and "SkyDrive" will know what I mean!) I'll try to clarify things a bit. Believe me: it isn't you! :dizzy:

We currently have two Windows apps:

• 1Password for Windows desktop (Windows 7, 8, and 10)
    • 1Password for Windows 10 beta

The problem is Windows. I am using Windows 10. First I went to your website, enabled betas and downloaded the Windows app. I think that is 4.0.6.604 (it is definitely 4 and the last digits are 604 - the machine is at home and I am at work). That installed ok but when I run it the only three options are to create a new vault, use and existing one or restore a backup. I want to synchronise with my Families vault so can't progress with that.

I'm sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately the 1Password for Windows desktop app (that you describe above) does not yet support 1Password for Families, though we're working on an update for that. It is a "traditional" app that will run on Windows 7, 8, and 10.

I tried the Windows store many times and it just stops saying installing. Eventually - but rather unconvincingly - it seemed to finish. There is no desktop icon and the only way I can find it is to go to the Windows Store where it tells me it is installed and I can then select run. There is no other shortcut so it takes a quite a few steps to get the beta running.

Windows Store apps cannot add Desktop or Start Menu shortcuts themselves. However, if you click/tap the Windows logo (or press the Windows key on the keyboard), you can then start typing to do a search for any installed app — in this case, 1Password. Open it, and then you'll have its icon in the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Then right-click (or tap and hold) on it and you can choose to Pin the app there. Much easier to open the next time!

The appearance is totally different to the version (which I also believe is a beta for Windows 10) downloaded from your web site. The Windows Store version looks like a browser app and not a native app. Is this is the case i.e. that the Windows 10 beta app is going to look quite different to the native Mac and iOS app?

Indeed. By contrast, the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app will only run on Windows 10, but can run on any Windows 10 device, so it's designed with a touch interface (for tablets and phones) in mind — though it will work just as well with a mouse and keyboard.

Next when I tried to enter a new browser login the browser version reports "Helper Not Running" and I can get no further. My current problem is with Windows 10 - although I have 1Password (unknown version) running in a browser interface it isn't working!!!!

The browser extensions can only work with the 1Password for Windows desktop app (which does not yet support 1Password for Families). Windows Store apps (such as the 1Password for Windows 10 beta) cannot integrate with other browsers. So instead, it includes a built-in browser (1Browser) which you can use to fill logins by clicking the URL in an item in your vault.

The Families product feels like several related but different products that are not joined robustly. For a security product this is quite unsettling. I would like the same UI on all my devices so I am confident I can access the information I need at any time.

You're absolutely right! 1Password for Families is a service, and the individual apps are clients for it. And at this stage — especially on Windows — they are unfinished. We know that isn't good enough, and another goal we're working toward is consistency between the various apps (and the 1Password for Families web interface).

Version naming is very confusing. It is not at all clear which version work together and on which platforms. It is simply too complicated to expect users to figure it out.

I agree. This part is a bit simpler though: with the exception of Windows, the latest version of each 1Password app supports 1Password for Families. For now, either the 1Password for Windows 10 beta or 1Password for Families web interface can be used to access your 1Password for Families vaults on Windows 10. We know that isn't enough, and that's why we're working on the new desktop version as well, but for now those are what we have. :blush:

There is a major need for some stepwise instructions on how to set up Families - starting with set up on one device and the setting up on other platforms and devices. I still am not sure where in the process I am and what I should be doing next. It feels like poking around in the dark hoping for something or someone to turn on the light.

Absolutely! We've got some guides already on how to get started with 1Password for Families/Teams, but we're improving those and adding more every day. I'm sorry that what we have now hasn't been sufficient for your needs, but we're always here to help and answer any question you have...and we'll use your feedback to make it better for you and everyone else! :chuffed:

Is it possible to achieve my goal with 1Password for Families - I need a minimum of OSX, iOS and Windows 10 for two people with a consistent user interface. It really doesn't feel like the product is mature enough yet for this - but I hope you can show me that I am wrong?

Yes! But with one caveat: integration with browsers is not available with 1Password for Families/Teams on Windows yet. You can, however, use the built-in browser in the 1Password for Windows 10 beta.

I think between 1Password for Mac, 1Password for iOS, and the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app, the user interfaces are very consistent. There are certainly differences based on the operating system, device, input, and screen though. And more importantly I'm sure there is room for improvement too! I'd love to hear more of your thoughts in this area. :)

I can understand how you have got to the point of having a beta for testing but so far my feedback would be as follows. Please don't take this as criticism - it is an attempt to provide constructive feedback that might be of use.

Well...I do view this as criticism — constructive criticism, which is greatly appreciated! I appreciate your patience in working with us to help you get setup, and also your willingness to take the time to give us this feedback.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions, and un-confuse some of the confusion. I look forward to back from you! :pirate:

• robinharris
    robinharris
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I am relieved that you took the feedback in a positive way as that is how it was intended. Now I think we are getting somewhere. I need to study your explanations and try them out with my Windows 10 machine at home this evening. Finally though you have explained the situation in a way that I think I understand. Maybe my brain is just weird but till now I've not been able to grasp what all the components do / don't do and how they fit together.

Had more time over the weekend trying out the Windows Beta and it is coming together. I can see how it is going to work. Can you clarify these points please:
    1. When the beta is replaced with a full release, the integration with browsers (I use Chrome) will work in the same way as on say the Mac?
    2. A rough idea of when the beta will be replaced with a full release - how long might this interim step last?
    3. How I should register to ensure I receive the benefits of early adopter? So far I don't think there is a way of doing that.

In case it helps other, my biggest confusion came from downloading the Windows app which came from your web site and not the beta from the Store. On your web site it says "Windows 7 and above" so naturally I started with that. Of course, there is no way of using this with Families and given my lack of understanding of how your products fit together, it got me into a deep hole. Once the picture becomes clearer what you are doing makes sense.

One more question: Can the current Windows version for Windows 7 / 8 be used with Windows 10 on a laptop without any touch screen capability? I would be very happy to use a mouse and keyboard only version. I suspect the answer is yes but NOT with Families???

Thanks for great support - without you guys I would have gone elsewhere a while back. Now I can see how this might work for me I am keen to hang on and try working with what is available.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @robinharris,

I'd be happy to try and give a more detailed answer to those questions.

1. When the beta is replaced with a full release, the integration with browsers (I use Chrome) will work in the same way as on say the Mac?

The Windows 10 beta app will likely not have browser integration (outside of 1Browser), at least not on initial release. This is a restriction of Windows 10's app sandboxing. We're hoping to eventually find a way around that, but we're not going to hold up the release because of a known limitation of the operating system.

1. A rough idea of when the beta will be replaced with a full release - how long might this interim step last?

Sorry. We don't have that information. Our development teams do not release timeframes on upcoming products/features. There are just too many variables (no pun intended).

1. How I should register to ensure I receive the benefits of early adopter? So far I don't think there is a way of doing that.

If you have a families account then you are already all set to receive the 2 bonus users and 1 bonus GB of storage. Once we have billing implemented you'll be able to add a credit card which will grant you the $10 credit.

One more question: Can the current Windows version for Windows 7 / 8 be used with Windows 10 on a laptop without any touch screen capability? I would be very happy to use a mouse and keyboard only version. I suspect the answer is yes but NOT with Families???

Yes. I use both 1Password 4 for Windows (the "current" / "desktop" version) alongside the 1Password for Windows 10 beta on my Windows 10 computer. They both work. I use the Windows 10 app for access to my data in Teams/Families, and the 1Password 4 application for when I really need filling in browsers other than 1Browser.

Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

I don't. And in fact they are largely mismatched. I rely on the Teams/Families vaults in the Windows 10 beta app for the "truth," and only rarely use the browser extensions because of this. Of course once we have browser extensions that are backed by Teams/Families data that'll be ideal.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Same here (if I understand Ben correctly, at least): I have a vault in Dropbox with copies of common logins, just in case I need them in a non-1Password for Teams/Families environment (this can be either for my on personal use on my PCs, or just about anywhere for testing purposes).

This data is expendable — that is to say, I can trash it at any time and re-copy data (if I updated some logins, for example) from my 1Password account. I use tags to keep track of the items that lead a double life in my Dropbox vault, so I can select them all and copy them over easily if needed. Cheers! :)

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dahanbn!

Currently, you can copy one item at a time in 1Password for iOS. You should, however, be able to copy multiple items at once in the Windows 10 app:

1. Tap the Select button next to the search bar.
    2. Either add a check mark to the individual items you'd like to move or tap select all to automatically add a checkmark to all the items in the current vault.
    3. Tap Share and select the vault you'd like these items to be available in.

Please let me know if that helps!

This discussion has been closed.