Word-based password generation recipe suggestion

Options
swissfreek
swissfreek
Community Member

Hey guys, maybe this isn't the right place for this question/request, but I was wondering if it would be possible to add some options to the word-based password generator. There are a lot of places where your login has to include specific things like a capital letter or a number. It would be nice if the words password generator could do that automatically. I know that I can just capitalize the first word and add a 1 to the end of the password by hand, but if 1Password did it automatically the same way you can set it to do that on the traditional password generator, that would be neat, too. Thanks guys!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion @swissfreek. That is certainly feedback I can pass along to our development team for their consideration.

This is a fine place to make such suggestions. :)

Ben

• morningsider
    morningsider
    Community Member
    Options

+1 vote for additional recipes in the word based generator!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @morningsider.

Ben

• cyniqmaster
    cyniqmaster
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. :) Pleased that the word based functionality has been added, but please add capability to include capital letters and numbers automatically. I prefer to use words as they are easier to handle, but as suggested, most sites require a combination of caps and numbers. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I only wish it weren't such a pain sometimes to enter caps and other non-lowercase-letter characters! :lol:

• DarkAthena76
    DarkAthena76
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Me too! I actually came here to ask for this, so yes please!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote! :)

Ben

• jfusion
    jfusion
    Community Member
    Options

I came to request the same thing: an option to add/insert a number or other character into a password. It could also allow for a custom separator, or to randomly select separators from the set of digits and/or a few special characters.

I love the word-passwords, though! It's too bad we have to monkey around with them to compensate for silly password requirements.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @jfusion!

silly password requirements

Hehe, yes, indeed. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I came to request the same thing: an option to add/insert a number or other character into a password. It could also allow for a custom separator, or to randomly select separators from the set of digits and/or a few special characters.

@jfusion: But just to be clear, you should really only be using word-based passwords for those you need to memorize, and in those cases having random separators is a liability.

On the other hand, a character-based random password of the same length will always be stronger, and if you're running into silly password requirements, often a limited length is part of that. And it's actually rather easy to have 1Password add a few numbers or symbols to those. Cheers! :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.