Any way to stop automatic "redirects" within 1Password mobile??

Options
diitto
diitto
Community Member

Hi, I like to log OFF of https sites when I’m done using them. I never let my browser save sites and I make sure to log off when done. I also want to do that with a Home Automation (HA) system I recently purchased but here’s the issue. This HA system is browser based and the silly folks who wrote the software give you the ability to log off ok but the moment you do so, a message comes up that says “Logged out, redirecting” and a second or two later, up comes the log in screen again.

Now why they would write code that forces a new log in just after you’ve logged out is beyond me. If I wanted to log right back in, I wouldn’t have logged out in the first place, right?? I've talked with them about it and gotten pretty much nowhere. This REDIRECT happens with the Safari browser even if you click Cancel (choices are Cancel or Log In). It just keeps coming back up faster than you can even click on some other link (at least most of the time, I beat it once in a while). However, with either Firefox or Chrome I see that if I click Cancel, the redirect STOPS. So at home I use one of those two browsers. But now about out in the world on my smart phone.

I’ve made a 1Password login to access my HA system from 1Password on my smart phone. But, 1Password has the same problem as Safari. When I log off of my HA system, it keeps putting up a new login request even if I click CANCEL. Is there some way for the browser used within the mobile 1Password app to NOT keep redirecting after I log out and want to stay logged out??? Anyway to shut off whatever causes the redirect to happen in the first place??? thanks…

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: ??

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @diitto,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Is there some way for the browser used within the mobile 1Password app to NOT keep redirecting after I log out and want to stay logged out??? Anyway to shut off whatever causes the redirect to happen in the first place??? thanks…

No, sorry. Unfortunately there is not. That said, it sounds like the redirect just takes you back to the login page? It doesn't actually force you to login, correct? If so you should simply be able to close the window/tab and be all set. If it is actually forcing you to log in... Well, that wouldn't be such a great feature, I'd agree. But not really anything we can do about it from the browser side of things. For 1Password's built-in browser we use Apple's WKWebView API, which essentially mimics Safari for the most part. We have limited ability to change how specific things within the browser render / operate.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, in that regard!

That said, there are a number of 3rd party browsers that have implemented our password manager extension. It may be possible with a 3rd party browser to work around this, and use 1Password within it. You mentioned specifically that Chrome seems to have the desired behavior, and 1Password works in Chrome. That may be a solution. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Are you saying that I could get the mobile (iOS) version of Chrome to work with 1Password??? Can a 1Password extension be loaded into the mobile version of Chrome??? If so, how do I do that??? thanks..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diitto: Yep! Just tap the dots in the upper right corner of Chrome, tap the Share [ ↑ ] button, and then select the 1Password extension and do your thing. Cheers! :pirate:

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm... I must be missing something... First, if I go into the 1Password app itself, log in by touch, open one of my saved "logins" click on its URL, away it goes, entering my credentials and opening the page for me... All good and that example is just to establish a baseline...

Now, next I go to Chrome on iOS. I click on the three vertical dots up in the upper right corner. I then click on the "share" button. I then see as one of my share options the 1Password icon. So I click on that. It asks me to login which I do by touch. I then click on "show all logins". I then click on precisely the same one that I used in the example above that opened just fine in the 1Password browser. And when I click on it, it does precisely NOTHING. But here's a clue. The page I happen to have started out on in Chrome is cnn.com. And as I went through this "share" routine, at the top of the page I see "choose an item for www.cnn.com". Well, where I want to go has nothing to do with cnn.com so maybe that's the problem. It thinks I want to share cnn.com??? I launch 1Password pages all the time from my big boy browser on my mac and it doesn't care that I might be sitting on cnn.com when next I ask to go to say a banking site with a 1Password login. I click on the login and it goes to that URL... But something isn't set up right or I'm not understanding something because from within Chrome, I can certainly SEE 1 Password but I can't get it to do anything but just stare back at me when I try to activate one of my logins.

What am I missing??? bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Now, next I go to Chrome on iOS. I click on the three vertical dots up in the upper right corner. I then click on the "share" button. I then see as one of my share options the 1Password icon. So I click on that. It asks me to login which I do by touch. I then click on "show all logins". I then click on precisely the same one that I used in the example above that opened just fine in the 1Password browser. And when I click on it, it does precisely NOTHING. But here's a clue. The page I happen to have started out on in Chrome is cnn.com. And as I went through this "share" routine, at the top of the page I see "choose an item for www.cnn.com". Well, where I want to go has nothing to do with cnn.com so maybe that's the problem. It thinks I want to share cnn.com???

@diitto: Precisely! I'm sorry for the confusion there. The 1Password extension cannot navigate to sites for you (this is why we have 1Browser in the app itself — much more convenient in many cases). Also, 1Password will only offer you logins for the current website. However, if you navigate to Amazon, for example, when you're at the login page (say, during the checkout process), you can open the 1Password extension through the Share menu to have 1Password fill an Amazon login saved in 1Password.

I launch 1Password pages all the time from my big boy browser on my mac and it doesn't care that I might be sitting on cnn.com when next I ask to go to say a banking site with a 1Password login. I click on the login and it goes to that URL... But something isn't set up right or I'm not understanding something because from within Chrome, I can certainly SEE 1 Password but I can't get it to do anything but just stare back at me when I try to activate one of my logins.
    What am I missing??? bob

Indeed, on iOS, extensions are system-wide (as opposed to browser-specific), and I suspect that's why Apple doesn't allow them to open webpages. Just imagine the junk that would appear on the App Store that would appear to (effectively) hijack your browser by taking you to their website when you tried to use their extension! Obviously, you'd want 1Password to open the websites for you, but you probably wouldn't want that same behaviour from most other apps. It's definitely a bit different than the way it works on the computer, but things are actually more secure because of it.

So the best thing to do, given that iOS works differently, is approach it a bit differently than you would on a Mac (or PC): either use 1Browser inside of 1Password to do targeted "this is the site I want to login to right now", or surf casually in Chrome or Safari...and then if you happen to need to fill login credentials you can bring up the 1Password extension to do so.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.